Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blessington lakes

Options
  • 16-07-2014 12:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

I just spent another fruitless day shore fishing on the lakes without a single fish.

I tried spinning,brandlings,maggots and lobworms.

I remeber 20 years ago catching dozens of perch and trout in the same spot.

Is it fishing well these days,any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

chopper6 wrote: »
    I just spent another fruitless day shore fishing on the lakes without a single fish.

I tried spinning,brandlings,maggots and lobworms.

I remeber 20 years ago catching dozens of perch and trout in the same spot.

Is it fishing well these days,any tips?

Was up there 2 weeks ago shore fishing for the hole day and not a bite. Was dead baiting for pike also tried lures spinners ect and nothing at all. But i no its full of fish iv had friends catch pike and big perch from shore up there i guess you just need the luck on ur side or the good spots and right time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Seller159 wrote: »
    Was up there 2 weeks ago shore fishing for the hole day and not a bite. Was dead baiting for pike also tried lures spinners ect and nothing at all. But i no its full of fish iv had friends catch pike and big perch from shore up there i guess you just need the luck on ur side or the good spots and right time

There last week and got 3 perch, 2 jacks and lost a trout in hour and half

• Registered Users Posts: 36 IrishDerbyfan

Always was such an unpredictable water. Some days we'd get a few pike between us and miss a couple too. Other days not a sausage. In similar conditions. Always found the overflow and Valleymount to be the best spots.

Always was such an unpredictable water. Some days we'd get a few pike between us and miss a couple too. Other days not a sausage. In similar conditions. Always found the overflow and Valleymount to be the best spots.

And now everyone else will have it fished out now. Well done on telling everyone :)
    Joking. Everyone knows that they'd be the best spots. I actually got them fish from the overflow last week but water level is very low. Had a nice follow off a big pike I'm assuming as the wave following it and splash was big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Been there a few times this year and had great luck after a blanking phase! Seen plenty of trout rising and shoals of roach, between 3 of us we've got about 12 to 14 pike upto 10lb!
    I don't know the name of the area were using this year so can't say 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

From the shore or a boat. Was only looking at boat hire today and I seen a few nice pike on youtube but the videos were 4 and 5 yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

From the shore or a boat. Was only looking at boat hire today and I seen a few nice pike on youtube but the videos were 4 and 5 yrs ago.

From the shore
    Always had more luck with shore fishing than boat on that lake. If you are renting boat be prepared to be robbed on price. Never came across such Shiite with prices. Never again. Rather save up and get a boat. Already have the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Andypdublin24

Wot u get the trout on

Wot u get the trout on

Minnow

• Advertisement

Minnow

Mite head up over flow early 2 morow

Very low at the moment. Stick need the reed beds. Have caught some lovely perch up in overflow over the years at reed beds along with some trout and nice pike.

Very low at the moment. Stick need the reed beds. Have caught some lovely perch up in overflow over the years at reed beds along with some trout and nice pike.

I just leave dead bait on the bottom but it's mad snaggy spin while that's out any other good spots

I just leave dead bait on the bottom but it's mad snaggy spin while that's out any other good spots

Valley mount has it's ups and downs and russborough car park does hold some trout and odd pike in the bay.

Valley mount has it's ups and downs and russborough car park does hold some trout and odd pike in the bay.

I had a nice brown there last year blessington haste be the hardest venue around expecially bank fishing

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Villan11

How did you get on Andy? I'm thinking of heading up on Friday.

Villan11 wrote: »
    How did you get on Andy? I'm thinking of heading up on Friday.

What's up.pal wos to low to fish but with today's rain ya mite get away with it... I'm not sure it's best spot I've blanked there 4 times and got 1 on spinner alot a people swear by it.. Sum1 that nos it bit better be more of help

Thanks Andy,

That doesn't sound too positive, I'm only picking up fishing for the first time in a while and wanted somewhere that had fairly good access for shore fishing.

You any other suggestions. I'm based in north Dublin.
    What's up.pal wos to low to fish but with today's rain ya mite get away with it... I'm not sure it's best spot I've blanked there 4 times and got 1 on spinner alot a people swear by it.. Sum1 that nos it bit better be more of help

Thanks Andy,

That doesn't sound too positive, I'm only picking up fishing for the first time in a while and wanted somewhere that had fairly good access for shore fishing.

You any other suggestions. I'm based in north Dublin.
    Canal bit spinning but only jack pike.. Blessington is a hard venue even wen fished by boat... Any were of dublin is better been honest cavan is angling paradise I used to go nearly everyday but now do not have transport.. Wot fish are u targeting

Mainly Pike on the spin but I've recently tried fly fishing and could be tempted to try again. So I suppose Trout or pike would be my main targets.
    Canal bit spinning but only jack pike.. Blessington is a hard venue even wen fished by boat... Any were of dublin is better been honest cavan is angling paradise I used to go nearly everyday but now do not have transport.. Wot fish are u targeting

• Advertisement

Many people who talk about the overflow being good are referring it to what it used to be 10 year ago. Would always hook something up there. And always held some nice perch and pike and odd trout.
    Now it is hard to fish if your not sure of the depths, weed beds etc. but it can still suprise you with the fish in it. Plenty of roach in overflow so bound to hold a decent pike or two

Mainly Pike on the spin but I've recently tried fly fishing and could be tempted to try again. So I suppose Trout or pike would be my main targets.

Try a fish farm around dublin trout on fly loads a them.. I go to 1 in carlow southern fisherie it's brilliant alot a big fish in it.. Bout hour and 20 drive well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

Anyone catching any pike up there lately ?

Seller159 wrote: »
    Anyone catching any pike up there lately ?

Had no reports

Many people who talk about the overflow being good are referring it to what it used to be 10 year ago. Would always hook something up there. And always held some nice perch and pike and odd trout.
    Now it is hard to fish if your not sure of the depths, weed beds etc. but it can still suprise you with the fish in it. Plenty of roach in overflow so bound to hold a decent pike or two
    It needs to be fished to find out

Advertisement