Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think my laptop is confusing my c drive with my d drive? Help needed.

Options
  • 16-07-2014 1:04am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've spent the last 2 hours trying to resolve an issue with my laptop

When it boots up, it gets past the Sony Viao screen but the goes black and only the cursor works. It hangs there indefinitely.

I can't access anything on C drive from the cmd and I've used F8 to access System Recover Options but nothing works there. System restore says I have no restores available.

I have noted (screenshot attached) that it seems the pc think my c drive is now my d drive and vice versa.

6D5C2EDC-5A56-44A4-82F5-1E0CDFF625F9_zpsbescrjov.jpg[/IMG]/uu193/garak001/43EBD074-4E38-4ED8-ABCD-BD321FCC9EC2_zpsyxq4gi2w.jpg

[IMG][/img]43EBD074-4E38-4ED8-ABCD-BD321FCC9EC2_zpsyxq4gi2w.jpg

How can I switch this back?

I'm a total tech noob so please help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Pucking Fissed Off

To make a volume active with diskpart you must first select it and then set it as active.
    Type: select volume 1
    Then press enter you should revive a confirmation that volume one is selected.
    Now type: Active
    This should make the volume bootable.
    Type exit and then restart the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Did you re install the operating system prior to this change happening?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

In recovery cmd C: is taken for the recovery os and the regular OS drive is assigned to a new drive letter temporarily, not sure what the underlying problem is but that much at least is normal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The only going I did was my update Full Tilt Poker after about 2 years not using it. I wanted to withdraw funds I had forgotten about. The laptop then became very unresponsive so I restarted it.

Pucking, tried that just now, no joy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If anyone would like any extra information, I can answer any specific question you might have. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Can you boot into safe mode at all (Keep mashing F8 at the splash screen :) if memory serves) EDIT: I see F8 is what you have been pressing is safe mode an option presented to you?

If not I'd say "chkdsk D: /r" on the recovery command is as good a place as any to start and see if there is anything wrong with the file system / hdd.

Advertisement