Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Algae in small pond. Help

Options
  • 16-07-2014 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

My pond is approx 6x5x4' with about 25 fish in it and 2 terrapins. Average fish size is maybe 3". I have an spc 5000 external filter with uv and a pump sending 10k litres per hour through the filter. But, String Algae is a problem, which actually killed my original pump. I am having to remove the Algae from the pump weekly and also remove lots of it from the pond walls by hand. I am trying not to overfeed the fish, but they are hungry little guys. I feed them floating dried pellets. I would like to find a solution here for the Algae, before I go crazy. Cleaning it is very difficult, because of a back injury i have.

Question: my fish seem to enjoy nibbling at the Algae. If I were to stop feeding them (as i do in winter), will they feed on and survive on the Algae alone? I can't seem to find an answer online. If need be, I can feed the terrapins separately on their little dry area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Water plants help but terrapins will eat them..
    Can you post up a picture? Plenty of chemical options out there since plants aren't an option.

Advertisement