Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to start horse-riding (Cork)

Options
  • 16-07-2014 4:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, I want to start horse-riding and was wondering if you have any advice? My dream is to have a country ranch with horses (weird dream, right?!) and I've gotta start somewhere!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

AnonEmos99 wrote: »
    Hi, I want to start horse-riding and was wondering if you have any advice? My dream is to have a country ranch with horses (weird dream, right?!) and I've gotta start somewhere!

Have you tried posting in either the Cork City forum here or the Cork County forum right here for some localised info? :)

You say you "gotta start somewhere" but what if any experience do you currently have?

Today I went for my 1st ever horse-riding lesson and can totally see the attraction and drive to continuously return. I wouldn't say it was a fear of horses that I had, just that I was never comfortable near them, until today! Surreal experience to put it mildly and only took 10mins to relax my shoulders and enjoy the experience. I did need pain-killers for my back-pain afterward, think it was the trotting that was the un-doing of me, but I'll still return again for another session (maybe 2-hours nextime)! Wonderful sport.

The more info you provide, the more people may be able to assist you,
    kerry4sam

/I'd always watched others and today I just thought why not just try it myself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Do you want Western Riding lessons or "ordinary" ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'm pretty sure I saw a few yards listed in the 'contact details' thread, so it might be worthwhile contacting those listed.

For choosing any school, I'd recommend you call out to the yard and have a look around to see what you think of it - what are the horses like, are there many people, are the instructors qualified, etc. (qualifications and approval, such as BHS and AIRE) should be listed on the website. Have a chat with the staff and see what they offer beginners. If you don't feel entirely happy, then don't go, and find somewhere else you think you'd be happy and that they'd suit your needs. Compare and contrast all the yards you look out.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

What part of cork are you in OP??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 booblue

Hey, you should check out Lucky Meadows Equestrian Centre, just outside Watergrasshill. I've been going there for over 2 years. There are a few there who started out as beginners and are now going to jumping competitions and are making good progress. Don't think about it too much and just go for it! Once you have your first lesson, you'll be hooked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement