Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hampshire down

• 16-07-2014 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Peoples taughts on them much trouble lambing what they like to fatten v other breeds thinking of getting a ram

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

Peoples taughts on them much trouble lambing what they like to fatten v other breeds thinking of getting a ram

I've a cousin who swears by them, but he lambs early. Always interested me but never seen one that I would buy, would be concerned about fat levels time of year I lamb tbh.....

Be interested to hear if anyone lambs them mid season though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Had Hampshires here the last 2 years - after years of Suffolks (so thats my starting point) ;)

To be honest, I wouldn't have much experience with other breeds, so my comments shouldn't be relied on too heavily.
    I guess the Hampshires would be easier lambed - they are definitely a lot more forgiving if something goes wrong, without the big boxy head of the Suffolk.
    Overall a bit easier lambed than Suffolk, but not a massive difference.

Also got a Lleyn last year, and his lambs were much easier lambed, and quicker to get up. (Having said that, I didn't find much of an issue with the Hampshires lambs, just the Lleyn lambs were a LOT faster)

In terms of fattening - I would say they fatten very well. Happy with how they do, again - maybe a small bit better than the Suffolks in terms of being a bit cleaner, but not massively.

For me - they are as good as a Suffolk, but without the 'extremes' (big head, very dopey lambs, dirty)

But again - I wouldn't have a lot of experience, so don't go by what I say ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

agree mainly with John's comments above,

I did'nt find them that sleepy when born, but then we would have a lot of cross breeding in the ewes, maybe introducing a little vigor

the big plus for us is that they are able to withstand the cold wet weather at a young age, this is vital for us as we are mostly in early lambs production

we sell usually at about 10 weeks of age onwards with the vast majority of lambs grading r3, with a small % r4 and u3

been using HD for 3 years with no regrets

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Kevin the sheep

jt65 wrote: »
    agree mainly with John's comments above,

I did'nt find them that sleepy when born, but then we would have a lot of cross breeding in the ewes, maybe introducing a little vigor

the big plus for us is that they are able to withstand the cold wet weather at a young age, this is vital for us as we are mostly in early lambs production

we sell usually at about 10 weeks of age onwards with the vast majority of lambs grading r3, with a small % r4 and u3

been using HD for 3 years with no regrets

Sounds pritty good so is there anyone in kk cw or wx that breeds them and are they very big money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

used a hampshire and a suffolk last year, suffolk is getting the gate.
    lambs lively and easily born
    lambs grow very fast and flesh well off grass
    no suffolk in my ewes don't know what they would be like crossed on suffolkx ewes?
    hampshire sale in tullow at the end of the month

very small ram entry at tullow ..... 6 shearling & 11 lamb ram

jt65 wrote: »
    very small ram entry at tullow ..... 6 shearling & 11 lamb ram

That's very small selection alright is it show and sale or just sale

Anyone at sale yesterday how did it go what were prices like didn't get to go meself cuttin winter oats

• Advertisement

Anyone at sale yesterday how did it go what were prices like didn't get to go meself cuttin winter oats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im really interested in getting a HD hogget ram, I want to run him with my Lleyn x ewe lambs. also want to use him with the texel and Suffolk rams for lambing from 1st feb. need hardy lambs

just wondering what the average price would be for an average ram lamb .im thinkin of buying a vendeen and a Hampshire down lambs. how much would they /should they cost? I really don't want to get stung!

well I took the plunge, bought a Hampshire down ram lamb, 335 euro. he was born in December 2013. I seen him in the pen with a hogget HD and thought I was perhaps paying over the odds , he looked small compared to the hogget. anyway he was a long sheep with good arse. brought him home and put him in a small pen 4x4 with the 3 other rams texel, Suffolk and lleyn and was very surprised . he is bigger than the 2 year old lleyn and not far off the Suffolk and texel who are 4 and 5 year old rams. with good feeding hopefully he should be a cracker next year.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    well I took the plunge, bought a Hampshire down ram lamb, 335 euro. he was born in December 2013. I seen him in the pen with a hogget HD and thought I was perhaps paying over the odds , he looked small compared to the hogget. anyway he was a long sheep with good arse. brought him home and put him in a small pen 4x4 with the 3 other rams texel, Suffolk and lleyn and was very surprised . he is bigger than the 2 year old lleyn and not far off the Suffolk and texel who are 4 and 5 year old rams. with good feeding hopefully he should be a cracker next year.

hope he goes lucky for you !!

so my old ram from 2014 packed up a few weeks ago, i was planning on slughtering him this winter so kept 4 of his daughters for the craic their in lamb now hopefully to belclare. i think i got 5 crops from the above ram. absolute beast of an animal he was. never looked back from hampshire down, great lambs from hoggets to finish this time of year, easy get flesh on them

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

Dickie10 wrote: »
    so my old ram from 2014 packed up a few weeks ago, i was planning on slughtering him this winter so kept 4 of his daughters for the craic their in lamb now hopefully to belclare. i think i got 5 crops from the above ram. absolute beast of an animal he was. never looked back from hampshire down, great lambs from hoggets to finish this time of year, easy get flesh on them

same as and cannot fault the three ewes that snuck their way into the flock...hampshires are underrated mainly from peoples prejudice over the woolly head

Advertisement