Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heeeeellllllllpppppp

Options
  • 16-07-2014 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Ok here goes

I repair pcs in my spair time and know my way around them but I'm repairing one at the mo and it's driving me bonkers....any suggestions would help..

Guy rings me says his Hp pc locks up intermittently,says he brought to another repair guy and that he fitted a new hd.

I get the PC and it's running Xp so I upgrade Win 7 32Bit,PC locks a few times during install got around that ,installed all drivers.

PC still locking randomly so I run memtest86 to rule out ram-all clear

Chkdsk to rule out Hds cleared some orphan files ,looked fine

Replaced graphics card-just incase

Took out cpu cleaned thermal paste

I run pc in safe mode seems to be fine

I then go to install Office yesterday-Freezes

I plug in usb mouse this morning freezes during install.

I heard a very very very low clicking noise when mouse installing...

This sounds like hd but have already ruled then out.....

Would be grateful of any suggestions 😧

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Chkdsk doesn't rule out it being a hard-drive problem, it just verifies that the file system is consistent at the time it is run. Try replacing the HD altogether

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Mucker2020

28064212 wrote: »
    Chkdsk doesn't rule out it being a hard-drive problem, it just verifies that the file system is consistent at the time it is run. Try replacing the HD altogether

Chkdsk has always found file errors of some sort when I have come across hd failures. I am wondering would it be the old hd that wasn't replaced as the os is on that one I think????

What the odds on 2 hds failing at the same time????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

So a new HDD was put into the machine, but it's still using the old one? If so, I'm with 28064212, replace it with a new/known working one.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I get the PC and it's running Xp so I upgrade Win 7 32Bit,PC locks a few times during install got around that ,installed all drivers.

How old is the machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

+1 for replacing the HDD. Especially if you're hearing 'clicking' from it. You could ghost the op system on to a new one using Clonezilla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Run from a linux live cd - if there is a freeze it's not the HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

In my experience, a clicking HDD indicates impending doom about 95% of the time. Try replacing that completely and see how you get on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

You could also try running Prime95 to check if the CPU is throwing errors when under pressure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Could well be bad capacitors on the motherboard, any look swollen/leaking?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Had a PC that used to do that, random lock ups until finally refused to start about a month later. Eventually replaced the MB after replacing pretty much everything else from a spare PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Had a PC that used to do that, random lock ups until finally refused to start about a month later. Eventually replaced the MB after replacing pretty much everything else from a spare PC.

Was just going to suggest the motherboard. It's the last thing left, basically.

Advertisement