Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPS without SIM?

• 16-07-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

I have an iphone 4 that I use for tracking my bike rides (with an GPS based app called strava). I am planning to upgrade my phone to one of the bigger phablet type jobbies that I probably won't want to carry around on long bike rides (too big and too costly if it gets damaged in a fall). Will the old iphone 4still pick up GPS if it does not have a SIM?

If not, is there any way to make it work without paying too much (ie <50euro)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i reckon it will work but if not just get any old sim from any network and put it in...a sim is like 10euro or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Once it's unlocked you should be able to use any old free sim in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

I used an old iPhone 3G with no SIM as a GPS for my car, worked pretty well, the iPhone uses Assisted GPS which uses the Mobile Network (If available) to pin-point location, if there is no Sim card (therefore no Mobile Network) then it can sometimes take a while to lock on location.

Advertisement