Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speedo way out!

• 16-07-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭

What are my options with fixing a speedo thats not accurate?
    It's a digital!
    Would it be the speedo or is the problem at the sprocket?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

First off, how many teeth on your sprocket? Do you know how many teeth are standard?

I'm a tooth down in the front on my R1 and it throws off the speedo, especially at higher speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

How out is way out?
    Every bike and car I've ever had has been about 5-10kph higher than my actual speed when doing around 120kph compared to the readings on a GPS.
    I believe tyre also comes into it. The more rubber depth you lose the more inaccurate it becomes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

A speedohealer would do it, not very expensive and can be moved from bike to bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The Don wrote: »
    First off, how many teeth on your sprocket? Do you know how many teeth are standard?

I'm a tooth down in the front on my R1 and it throws off the speedo, especially at higher speeds.
    I don't think it's the actual sprocket on this bike but the nut on the sprocket!
    How out is way out?
    Every bike and car I've ever had has been about 5-10kph higher than my actual speed when doing around 120kph compared to the readings on a GPS.
    I believe tyre also comes into it. The more rubber depth you lose the more inaccurate it becomes.
    My gps says 100kph, speedo says 117kph!
    My gps says 120kph, speedo says 144kph!
    New tyres.
    KTRIC wrote: »
    A speedohealer would do it, not very expensive and can be moved from bike to bike.
    Does it fix the actual speedo and odo?
    Any more info?
    Bike has probably a lot more miles on the clock than it has done because it's out so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea speedo healer just modifies the signal from the pickup to the clocks

odo is calc'd from the same speedometer signal

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    yea speedo healer just modifies the signal from the pickup to the clocks

odo is calc'd from the same speedometer signal

Do u set it yourself or does it automatically do it?

not used one, but it wouldnt have thought it'd be automatic (degree of change will be different for each bike)

not used one, but it wouldnt have thought it'd be automatic (degree of change will be different for each bike)

Cheers, just looking them up there now!
    Do u know if any bricks and mortar shop stock them?

fraid not, sorry!

fwiw Im pretty sure I can tweak my speedo via an ODBII cable and tuneecu (earlier triumph 675s had an unlocked ecu) - so could look into seeing if something similar is possible

fraid not, sorry!

fwiw Im pretty sure I can tweak my speedo via an ODBII cable and tuneecu (earlier triumph 675s had an unlocked ecu) - so could look into seeing if something similar is possible

I doubt the speedo was out that much leaving the factory.
    So I'd say something's gone wrong somewhere along the line.
    Do you think the speedo healer is just for speedo that are not accurate from day one or will it calibrate it anyway?
    A kind of a stupid question but I know nothing about them!

• Advertisement

yea its sort of just a bandaid solution! it didnt come out of the factory with its clocks 17-20% off alright. Is it getting worse, do you know?

are you using stock gearing? saw the question asked before, but not sure if you answered - it might very well be the problem

yea its sort of just a bandaid solution! it didnt come out of the factory with its clocks 17-20% off alright. Is it getting worse, do you know?

are you using stock gearing? saw the question asked before, but not sure if you answered - it might very well be the problem

Standard gearing!
    Don't know how long it's been like that.
    Only have the bike since yesterday.

standard gearing? doh.. (as in that would have easily explained it)

speedohealer might be easiest option so, but they're a good bit dearer then I thought they'd be (£80+).

Personally, not sure I'd go for that when a) its a relatively new bike (to you at least!) and b) the problem could get worse (dont know the root cause, so reading could drift worse, or fail entirely). So I'd take a punt on a replacement speedo sensor myself - or have a google, and see if its a common fault, what to look for etc. Bad contacts in clock connection could be culprit, for example.

standard gearing? doh.. (as in that would have easily explained it)

speedohealer might be easiest option so, but they're a good bit dearer then I thought they'd be (£80+).

Personally, not sure I'd go for that when a) its a relatively new bike (to you at least!) and b) the problem could get worse (dont know the root cause, so reading could drift worse, or fail entirely). So I'd take a punt on a replacement speedo sensor myself - or have a google, and see if its a common fault, what to look for etc. Bad contacts in clock connec
    tion could be culprit, for example.
    Cheers for that!
    Yeah I'll check out contacts and sensor first so.
    There's a thing like a speedo healer called a speedoDRD that's a bit cheaper that I might consider if I have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

blade1 wrote: »
    Cheers for that!
    Yeah I'll check out contacts and sensor first so.
    There's a thing like a speedo healer called a speedoDRD that's a bit cheaper that I might consider if I have to.

I fitted a SpeedoDRD to the gsxr over the weekend. It works out at half the price of the speedohealer with delivery. Not as fancy looking but does the job nonetheless. Took about a week from ordering to delivery and about 15 mins to fit

sean61 wrote: »
    I fitted a SpeedoDRD to the gsxr over the weekend. It works out at half the price of the speedohealer with delivery. Not as fancy looking but does the job nonetheless. Took about a week from ordering to delivery and about 15 mins to fit

All good so, yeah?
    Did you get it from U.S.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

All good so, yeah?

Stick up a few pics mate....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Speedo on my Sv was way out once i dropped a tooth on the front sprocket.
    I was told by a lot of people that that simply shouldnt matter or effect the speedo on the Sv.

I never did nail down the cause so i didnt know what speed i was ever doing accurately :rolleyes:

All good so, yeah?

I've been busy with work this week so didn't get time to check the max speed function or anything but I brought it for a quick spin after installation and the speed on the clock matched my gps. It's just a tiny circuit board about 1" x .5" enclosed in thick see-through plastic to keep it waterproof. Follow the wires from your speedo sensor 'til you find a connector, plug in the speedoDRD there and follow the instructions to set the correct offset %. There's only one tiny button on it and an LED so it takes a few mins of counting the blinks but nothing complicated at all!

I left mine hanging by the side fairing until I have time to double check its accuracy so if I remember tomorrow I'll take a pic of it. Shipped from the US in an envelope with $10 marked as the value so no import charges either

sean61 wrote: »
    I've been busy with work this week so didn't get time to check the max speed function or anything but I brought it for a quick spin after installation and the speed on the clock matched my gps. It's just a tiny circuit board about 1" x .5" enclosed in thick see-through plastic to keep it waterproof. Follow the wires from your speedo sensor 'til you find a connector, plug in the speedoDRD there and follow the instructions to set the correct offset %. There's only one tiny button on it and an LED so it takes a few mins of counting the blinks but nothing complicated at all!

I left mine hanging by the side fairing until I have time to double check its accuracy so if I remember tomorrow I'll take a pic of it. Shipped from the US in an envelope with $10 marked as the value so no import charges either

Have you a link for the site you used;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

the problem could get worse (dont know the root cause, so reading could drift worse, or fail entirely). So I'd take a punt on a replacement speedo sensor myself - or have a google, and see if its a common fault, what to look for etc. Bad contacts in clock connection could be culprit, for example.

Sounds unlikely to me - it's a digital speed sensor so if it fails it's almost certainly going to fail entirely.

If the speed sensor is in the gearbox (like my old CBR6, which had a digital speed sensor in the gearbox but ironically an analogue speedo) then any change to the sprockets will throw it significantly off. If it's on the front wheel hub (like on my Sprint ST) then only front tyre wear/profile shape can affect it and not by that much. The ST also has a digital speed sensor feeding an analogue gauge!

So OP needs to find out where the sensor is reading from and whether the bike really is on stock gearing, go count teeth, the previous owner may not have had a clue.

Scrap the cap!

Have you a link for the site you used;)

www.12oclocklabs.com

I tried taking a pic of it there but it's small and hidden behind the fairings so you can't really see it!

Advertisement