Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landing a job before leaving to US.

Options
  • 16-07-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I am wondering if anybody has experience of getting a job in the US before they leave Ireland? I am hoping to move to the Bay Area of San Francisco in January and feel like I should be applying for jobs now. I have applied for a few, all coming from searches on LinkedIn but seems like I will never hear back from any of these companies.

Is there any websites or recruitment agencies that would be good to use / get in contact with so that I have a realistic chance of securing a job before travelling?

I have a BA in Maths and Geography, also have just completed a Diploma in Java programming and currently working as an intern in a 'Big 4' company in Dublin. Don't want to sign away 3 years to become an accountant in Ireland just yet. So my CV is looking pretty decent as it stands. But still don't know what jobs to really look for! Junior Analyst or trainee accountant?

I hope to get a one year graduate visa and I have a social security number from my J1.

When applying for jobs should I put down a USA address? My aunt doesn't live too far from San Fran so I could use hers.

Any comments or info would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I would use the US address, but remember that most companies will want to interview you face-to-face.

Also, make sure your resume is in US format, with US spelling. If you want help with that I know a guy who writes resumes for a living, and he can word it so that it triggers all the correct keywords in a company's HR database.

Rather than applying directly to companies, you might want to try agencies such as Robert Half for Financial work http://www.roberthalf.com/ , or look at SAP consulting with companies like http://www.bayforce.com/

I wouldn't go too far with this until you have a confirmed visa. You don't want people blowing you off because you don't have a work visa, as they will be unlikely to look at you again and your resume will probably go straight to the circular file.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You need to get your J1 visa situation squared away first. Until you get the visa, you can not live/work legally in the US. Companies won't want to hire you until they know you are sorted for the visa, nor will recruitement agencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They use craigslist quite a lot in the US for job listing.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tmkly

Thanks everyone for the reply. Very helpful.

I contacted USIT in Dublin about the visa, so hopefully this will get the ball rolling. I think you're right Dave, I will only be taken seriously if I have a visa.

I was in Chicago on two J1's in 2012 and 2013. DUB what do you mean I need to get them sqaured? The visas are up and out of date.
    I don't think I need to reapply for SSC, once you have, its yours forever.

Craiglist is brilliant, got my J1 job on it but can be quite dodgy too, bought a phone from it and they yoke was faulty. But will keep an eye out.

Did anybody sort accomodation before they arrived? We had major difficulty both summers getting accommodation, then again, it was 8 Irish lads cramped into a one bed apartment only for a 3 month let. Would like something a bit more 'livable' this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

The rental market in san francisco is madness. If you want to live in the city, you're looking at around 900->1100 for a bedroom in a safe area. You won't get anything permanent without being here in person. Your best bet would be to get an air bnb for the first 2 weeks and search from there.

Craigslist is your friend for this. In SF the Sunset & Richmond districts are the cheapest and safest , the mission is fun, SOMA is all offices and condo buildings. Stay away from the Tenderloin or Bayview (have cheap apartments for a reason...)

The east bay is quite a bit cheaper. Berkeley is pretty boring despite it being a college town. I love oakland, we're thinking of moving there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

tmkly wrote: »
    I think you're right Dave, I will only be taken seriously if I have a visa.

Immigration and illegal workers are a hot topic in the USA right now.

I dont know whether its US law or not but its not uncommon at all to have one of the first questions anyone (citizen or not) is asked in a job inquiry is whether "you are legal allowed to work in the US".

SO you need to have the Visa in your passport. Not the promise of a visa sometime in the future, or the "oh i'll be taking care of that as soon as I arrive" kind of thing.

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I dont know whether its US law or not but its not uncommon at all to have one of the first questions anyone (citizen or not) is asked in a job inquiry is whether "you are legal allowed to work in the US".

That is actually the law. Employers are required to confirm that potential employees are legally allowed to work in the US.

This will be followed by any company hiring at the poster's level. You won't find it so well enforced at car washes and landscaping companies :)

Advertisement