Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

15 year old

• 16-07-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi lads ,
    15 year old boy 5"11 and nearly 15 stone.Just joined the gym and looking to lose weight/gain muscle and get fit.Getting fit is the main thing as want to be fit before the start of the rugby season.Anyone have any ideas of any plans I could go by for 12 weeks ? Cheers

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Have you any coaching in strength training before? If not I would suggest that first. If that's not possible then Starting Strength by rippetoe is a good beginning. Or stronglifts. For fitness, what position do you hope to play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

On phone and it's late so I'll be quick. Without knowing your strengths/weaknesses best I can advise is to look at a deadlift programme, and find some cardio work you enjoy, get the trainers in the gym to help you.

Have a read of this perhaps.

More importantly, sort out your diet, learn to start preparing healthy balanced meals, with plenty of protein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

ectoraige wrote: »
    On phone and it's late so I'll be quick. Without knowing your strengths/weaknesses best I can advise is to look at a deadlift programme, and find some cardio work you enjoy, get the trainers in the gym to help you.

You recommend a dedicated deadlift program to a beginner? He needs to build up all around strength and get some decent numbers before considering any kind of dedicated program.

Which in fairness he'll probably get to fairly quick if OP is dedicated. Dat der natures first cycle of test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Blacktie. wrote: »
    You recommend a dedicated deadlift program to a beginner? He needs to build up all around strength and get some decent numbers before considering any kind of dedicated program.

Which in fairness he'll probably get to fairly quick if OP is dedicated. Dat der natures first cycle of test!

Yeah, clumsy post, I misread the OP, thought he was asking for a program for a specific lift, which is why i suggested deadlifts. I probably should stay off boards after midnight :)

OP, to stress what Big_G said, if you haven't been coached, find somebody who can show you the basics. Don't just fire away and end up injuring yourself, the point is to increase your fitness, not harm it.

Also, if you are a beginner, now's the time to build good food habits, it doesn't matter what you do in the gym if you're not eating right. With the summer off, you should have plenty of time to find your way around the kitchen. Eat a good breakfast with plenty of protein, plan your snacks, have protein + fruit/veg with every meal, and stay hydrated.

Advertisement