Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Holles Street from Wicklow - can't drive

Options
  • 16-07-2014 1:20pm

Not sure if I have the correct forum, but sure however...

My wife is due in just over 4 weeks time (first baby), and I'm wondering how to get us to the hospital, when the time comes. We are travelling from Wicklow Town to Holles street.

Obviously she can't drive when she's in labour, and I can't drive at all (for reasons that I won't go into). All our plans and backup plans have gradually dried up, including parents/family on both sides.

I know I could get an ambulance pretty much door to door, but my wife has said that she'd like to get to the hospital as late as she can. Her idea is that when her labour starts, we get to a hotel near to the hospital and to labour there before we go to the hospital. Her reasons are that she'd rather labour in relative comfort than "strapped to a bed in a hospital ward". Basically she wants to be able to walk, kneel, do whatever to help herself and she's afraid she won't get the chance to do this in comfort in hospital. (Opinions are welcome on the points above).

I'm pretty sure the ambulance driver wouldn't appreciate a "hotel drop off".

So my options as I see them:
    • Stay at home, call an ambulance when contractions start to come closer together (the hospital gave us guidelines for this).
    • When labour starts, book a hotel and taxi from Wicklow to Dublin
    • When labour starts, book a hotel and Bus Éireann route 133 from Wicklow to Dublin :D

Does anybody have any suggestions or general advice please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Uncle Wil wrote: »
    Basically she wants to be able to walk, kneel, do whatever to help herself and she's afraid she won't get the chance to do this in comfort in hospital. (Opinions are welcome on the points above).

Does anybody have any suggestions or general advice please?

Of course she will be able to do all that in the hospital. She is free to roam the entire grounds and go outside on the street if she wishes. She won't be strapped anywhere.

A hotel won't offer the same comfort. You will be stuck in a room.

Don't get a hotel. When the labour comes, get a taxi to the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Agreed. I think a taxi direct to Holles Street is her best bet. Moving around is actively encouraged in labour so she won't be strapped anywhere!! Make sure also to have some plastic sheeting and towels for the taxi to avoid incurring a soilage charge should her waters break en route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I know a good few women who've opted for hotels nearby to labour in before going into hospital and I can completely understand where your wife is coming from. Unfortunately you largely do go 'on the clock' as it were once you're admitted, and some people don't find hospitals to be a very nice environment to be in, especially for something as special as birthing! In a hotel room you can watch TV, walk the corridors, someone else makes your food, sure it sounds like a lovely way to relax your way through an early labour!

Get a taxi either way, you'll both need a bit of comfort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

It may happen that she won't go into labour at home and will go to hospital on a particular day to be induced or whatever.

Sometimes things don't go according to plan either.
    But of course nerve racking as it's your first.

Just an update on this, in case people come across it...

Some family members were actually prepared to drive us up on/around the due date; they arranged their holidays to suit the due date. But the little guy decided to come two weeks early - everyone was still on holidays!

So it ended up being an ambulance job, purely because the labour progressed so quickly and caught us a little by surprise. Which, actually, was fine. No messing around; the driver and attendant were both very professional and friendly. Didn't cost anything and brought us door to door. Arrived at hospital at 14:30. Baby was born 8 hours later at 21:45. (7lbs 14oz for those interested).

Now, back to nappy changing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Just an update on this, in case people come across it...

Some family members were actually prepared to drive us up on/around the due date; they arranged their holidays to suit the due date. But the little guy decided to come two weeks early - everyone was still on holidays!

So it ended up being an ambulance job, purely because the labour progressed so quickly and caught us a little by surprise. Which, actually, was fine. No messing around; the driver and attendant were both very professional and friendly. Didn't cost anything and brought us door to door. Arrived at hospital at 14:30. Baby was born 8 hours later at 21:45. (7lbs 14oz for those interested).

Now, back to nappy changing...

Thanks for this post! My wife and I are in a similar position with regard to transport.

Did you simply call 999/112 to avail of the ambulance service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

*please dont kill me*

but would ambulances not be for emergencies only ? Like I understand if the baby is crowning then yea ring an ambulance, but for the start of labour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

michellie wrote: »
    *please dont kill me*

but would ambulances not be for emergencies only ? Like I understand if the baby is crowning then yea ring an ambulance, but for the start of labour ?

Yeah, that's what I have been wondering, reading this thread and ones in other forums. Our first choice is to get a taxi but want to be aware of how to get an ambulance in case it becomes necessary.

zepman wrote: »
    Thanks for this post! My wife and I are in a similar position with regard to transport.

Did you simply call 999/112 to avail of the ambulance service?

I'll need to flesh this bit out...
    So it ended up being an ambulance job, purely because the labour progressed so quickly and caught us a little by surprise. ... Didn't cost anything and brought us door to door.

While it was an ambulance job, we never actually called the ambulance... our doctor did :D

The night before, my wife had stomach cramps - she thought it was because she had eaten something a little off. I considered she was in early labour, but she convinced me it wasn't, and I went to work the next morning like normal. Got a phone call a couple of hours into my work day, and headed home to look after my "sick" wife. My Dad was already there (he was doing a bit of work on the house for us), sitting with a big grin on his face. The Mrs. still didn't believe she was in labour so my Dad drove us to the doctor. The doctor brought us in, felt my wife's abdomen, laughed and said "you're in labour". The doctor went out and called the ambulance for us. (Found out later that the doctors, nurses and secretary had bets on whether we'd make it to the hospital before the baby was born).

So while that's a nice story, it's probably no use to you at all.....

In my case, my wife was already fairly well into her labour, so the ambulance was actually needed. If it hadn't played out that way, I think it would have been a taxi job. So my advice... phone a few local taxis and ask would they drive you; reminding them that you might need them at any hour of the day and likely at short notice. The point here being you'll need someone reliable. Get numbers for a few different taxi companies just in case, and have them printed out so that you're not fumbling with your phone.

Now, having said all that... at the time, if you think you need an ambulance (bleeding, waters broken, contractions very close together, urge to push, etc.), phone the fcuking ambulance. Personally I'd use 999/112, but if you're not comfortable about that, maybe check with your doctor or health centre.

Wish you all the best!

Advertisement