Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FSA FPL Rate My Team Thread 2014-15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

roryc wrote: »
    haha :)

Wenger said he'll be playing him up front, too big a risk not to have him IMO

Did Wenger not say he'd play on wing till Walcott came back at least?

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140718/wenger-alexis-will-thrive-in-england
    At the moment he might play on the flank because Walcott is injured. As well [he can play] through the middle in some games; we can play with Giroud, we can play without Giroud in a 4-4-2 or in a 4-3-3.

That's why he is a major signing for us [and] that's why we spend a lot of money on him. He has the quality to be efficient everywhere he plays.

I'm looking at an O'Shea/Coloccini rotation too going with De Gea in goal over the other popular Krul/Mannone option only worry is are O'Shea and Coloccini still nailed on starters??

I'm not 100% sure, but it should be clearer closer to gw1. As I said, I've 14m to work with, and I'm toying with having two 5.0 (Davies & ward) plus a bargain basement 4.0 and just playing 3 out of 4 each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I disagree, he's essentially the same price as Hazard and I don't think it's possible to fit both in without some serious compromising. Compare Chelseas start with the arsenals, and take into account that Hazard is already settled in the league, and is now on penalties.

It's actually a risk not having Hazard, imo.

Serious compromising where? Spending £10.5 on Costa up front is a much bigger risk IMO. Essentially you prefer Costa + Eriksen (+£0.5m) over Sanchez + Giroud/Dzeko. Correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Draft number 3,467 I think at this stage.

Was planning on going with three strong strikers to start with but apart from Rooney there aren't any premium strikers looking like must-haves at the moment. 3 Chelsea and United to go along with their favourable opening fixtures.

Anyone care to give their thoughts on this effort? :)

fae607468d4dcd28a685c184e6a77131.png

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Did Wenger not say he'd play on wing till Walcott came back at least?

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140718/wenger-alexis-will-thrive-in-england

That article is from weeks ago. See the numerous articles since then where he has made it clear where he plans to utilise him:

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/329183.html
    http://www.squawka.com/news/arsene-wenger-reveals-alexis-sanchez-will-give-arsenal-an-extra-dimension/151716
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140801/wenger-why-i-signed-alexis-sanchez

"He is a striker and he's a good finisher," Wenger said.

I see him playing just behind Giroud, or possibly even as a pairing up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Serious compromising where? Spending £10.5 on Costa up front is a much bigger risk IMO. Essentially you prefer Costa + Eriksen (+£0.5m) over Sanchez + Giroud/Dzeko. Correct?
    I don't fancy Sanchez to score 80% as many goals as Costa personally. I think the potential for the Sanchez clean sheet balances out to some extent with Costa being more likely to get bonus points when he scoes than Sanchez is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

I'm not 100% sure, but it should be clearer closer to gw1. As I said, I've 14m to work with, and I'm toying with having two 5.0 (Davies & ward) plus a bargain basement 4.0 and just playing 3 out of 4 each week.

hmm.. i've gone with Luis and Davies as my definites and then looking at two £4.5mil options and a £4mil option. £13mil in total but that extra £1mil you have will go a long way. plenty of good options in the £5mil bracket, bit tougher for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I am now thinking of doing Sanchez to Ramsey and use the 1.5m elsewhere.

Or even keep it in the bank to have more options opened after GW1.

Ramsey looked dangerous in their friendlies - any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

In terms of immediate returns though, Costa has had more of a preseason than Sanchez and easier opening fixtures. I am also not convinced by any of the 8.0-9.0m strikers so would rather spend it on Costa and then have to go down from Sanchez/Hazard to Ramsey/Cesc.

Yeah, I do. Bear in mind this is a discussion around the merits of the first three/four gameweeks.

Costa has bur, LEI, eve, SWA. Eriksen has wham, QPR, LIV, sun.

Sanchez / giroud have CPA, eve, lei, MCI. dzeko's first 4 are even tougher, and he's not even guaranteed to start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Right, probably my 4th or 5th draft at this stage. Not overly happy with my defence by very happy with midfield and forwards. I could downgrade Sanchez to Ramsey or Sterling to Sigurdson and upgrade my defenders but not sure Im going to do that.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Fantasy_Premier_League_The_official_fantasy_fo.png

Yeah, I do. Bear in mind this is a discussion around the merits of the first three/four gameweeks.

Costa has bur, LEI, eve, SWA. Eriksen has wham, QPR, LIV, sun.

Sanchez / giroud have CPA, eve, lei, MCI. dzeko's first 4 are even tougher, and he's not even guaranteed to start?

Goes down to personal choice then, and I'm aware that it really should be focused on the first few weeks. FYI - if you make it first 3 weeks then Sanchez has Palace, Everton, Leicester, and if you go to 5 weeks then Costa would face City (A)... I'll give you the benefit of selective stats there!

IMO Sanchez + Giroud should outscore Costa + Eriksen over the first 'few' weeks, whether that be 3, 4 or 5. Essentially the first week is by far the most important as many will WC immediately. As for Dzeko, if its clear who will nail down a spot for the first few games between himself and Jovetic then they need to be considered as a replacement for Giroud.

I'm wary of Costa... this guy is 25 you say!

diego.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Here's my latest iteration:

2qn8h9x.jpg

The Bojan Warrior is there for now just because he's flavour of the week and he rotates well with Siggy if Hoilett were to become undroppable :P

I like it. I know there's a fair bit invested in defenders but I might be able to downgrade some of them before GW1 to cheaper counterparts and then get to reinvest that. Bojan could look like Jovetic or Dzeko/Jovetic at a push

I've just got a feeling about the QPR/Palace and Swansea/Stoke rotation right now.

Lol, fair enough. I picked 3/4 weeks as that's when the majority of wildcards will be played.

It does come down to personal opinion, though. I reckon Costa couldn't have been handed an easier start than he has been given. I seriously think he'll get 4+ goals in the opening two matches. Hazard will likely be involved in a fair few of Chelseas points haul too.

Sanchez will score pts for arsenal, undoubtedly, but I was saying earlier that I can't afford both...... Or can I? Maybe I'll have a bash at a team containing hazard, sanchez, Mata, Costa, Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I disagree, he's essentially the same price as Hazard and I don't think it's possible to fit both in without some serious compromising. Compare Chelseas start with the arsenals, and take into account that Hazard is already settled in the league, and is now on penalties.

It's actually a risk not having Hazard, imo.

Do you know for certain Hazard is on penalties? From what I'm aware Costa was on them last season for Atleti. I wouldn't rule him out of getting the duty for his new club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

manual_man wrote: »
    Do you know for certain Hazard is on penalties? From what I'm aware Costa was on them last season for Atleti. I wouldn't rule him out of getting the duty for his new club

It's a toss up I'd say but I'd rate Haz as a better peno taker.

Lol, fair enough. I picked 3/4 weeks as that's when the majority of wildcards will be played.

It does come down to personal opinion, though. I reckon Costa couldn't have been handed an easier start than he has been given. I seriously think he'll get 4+ goals in the opening two matches. Hazard will likely be involved in a fair few of Chelseas points haul too.

Sanchez will score pts for arsenal, undoubtedly, but I was saying earlier that I can't afford both...... Or can I? Maybe I'll have a bash at a team containing hazard, sanchez, Mata, Costa, Rooney.

Unlikely you can fit all of them in. I've had a play around based on what you said, and it would be the difference between the below two teams for me. You could definitely argue the merits of either for the first few GW's. Sanchez OOP is very difficult to ignore, and Ramsey is overpriced unless he continues his form from last season. He had never scored more than 3 goals a season prior to last! As a pro to option 2 below, I would fit in forum favourite BOJAN...

2ilfx3b.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Well... With all this talk of Sanchez and Bojan I said I'd have a look at them and 2 hours later here I am.
    3-5-2 or a 4-5-1 formation, defence is in bits but I've selected Hazard & Ramsey instead of Fab & Santi for this edit... That 1.5 may be put to better use at the back.

I'm a bit worried, I kinda like this team (with the above change).
    But I think I'm gonna go straight back and reset it to where it was.

Thats basically a strong midfield + Rooney... most unbalanced team I've seen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

PARlance wrote: »
    Well... With all this talk of Sanchez and Bojan I said I'd have a look at them and 2 hours later here I am.
    3-5-2 or a 4-5-1 formation, defence is in bits but I've selected Hazard & Ramsey instead of Fab & Santi for this edit... That 1.5 may be put to better use at the back.

I'm a bit worried, I kinda like this team (with the above change).
    But I think I'm gonna go straight back and reset it to where it was.

Wow. That's the most spectacular looking midfield I've seen. Obvious trade off being you have to pick Bojan or cheap 4th def EVERY week. Still, could work tho :)

What about Bojan the Trojan???
    He's basically a 11M striker on special offer :)

Just had to pick a team with Sanchez in it tbh. Needed it out of the system

manual_man wrote: »
    Wow. That's the most spectacular looking midfield I've seen. Obvious trade off being you have to pick Bojan or cheap 4th def EVERY week. Still, could work tho :)

I had to downgrade Yaya to Silva when I decided it best to have a keeper that plays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I had to downgrade Yaya to Silva when I decided it best to have a keeper that plays :)

Sanogo isn't a midfielder, silly billy :)

Balance isn't always essential. I'm a bit more balanced than that, but am pretty heavily invested in a few big priced players too. At the moment I've 5 players priced 9 mil and above.

This certainly has more balance.... It ain't bad when Bojan is your weakest link ;)

• Advertisement

This certainly has more balance.... It ain't bad when Bojan is your weakest link ;)
    Cazorla could well be your weakest link IMO. Downgrade him and upgrade Zamora.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Bojan the Trojan. That seals it. He's a keeper with a nickname like that. :pac:

Terrified of how I'll be doing if he doesn't do well.

CSF wrote: »
    Terrified of how I'll be doing if he doesn't do well.

Are people genuinely considering him as an option?? I assumed it was a bit of a piss take unless you are planning on going with only two up front! I'd never heard of him until his move to Stoke but after further reading on him it seems like he is a bottler who can't hack the pressure and was poor at Roma and Ajax.

I know he has scored a few goals in pre season but he apparently done the same at Ajax and once it got serious in the league he lost all confidence again! it took him 665 playing minutes to score his first goal for them.:rolleyes:

Are people genuinely considering him as an option?? I assumed it was a bit of a piss take unless you are planning on going with only two up front! I'd never heard of him until his move to Stoke but after further reading on him it seems like he is a bottler who can't hack the pressure and was poor at Roma and Ajax.

I know he has scored a few goals in pre season but he apparently done the same at Ajax and once it got serious in the league he lost all confidence again! it took him 665 playing minutes to score his first goal for them.:rolleyes:
    He was fairly well regarded at Barca, like Messi kind of hype. But I wouldn't consider him myself unless he starts off like a freight train, and I fancy buying myself a bit of value for my team.

• Advertisement

Balance isn't always essential. I'm a bit more balanced than that, but am pretty heavily invested in a few big priced players too. At the moment I've 5 players priced 9 mil and above.

As do I... but they aren't all in midfield!

As do I... but they aren't all in midfield!
    Me either ;)

He was fairly well regarded at Barca, like Messi kind of hype. But I wouldn't consider him myself unless he starts off like a freight train, and I fancy buying myself a bit of value for my team.

Don't believe the hype :cool::pac:

I guess there's potential for a bandwagon possibly but starting off at £5.5mil and playing for Stoke I don't see him setting the world alight!

I guess there's potential for a bandwagon possibly but starting off at £5.5mil and playing for Stoke I don't see him setting the world alight!
    Me either, but I'm prepared to act quickly if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

MR NINE wrote: »
    I think the biggest advantage of the early wildcard strategy is that you can pick your initial team with only the first three or four gws in mind, and hopefully get a good start as a result, then pick your real team for the season in mid september when you know a lot more about wholl be playing regularly and where the value may lie.

Is anyone else picking a team solely focused on scoring well in the first few weeks? My draft at the moment is

De gea
    Myhill

Shaw
    Debuchy
    Taylor
    Caulker
    Moore

Fabregas
    Hazard
    Ramsey
    Siggurdsson
    King

Rooney
    Costa
    Jelavic

What are peoples thoughts? Im interested to see what teams other people have chosen for the first few weeks. My thought process is to stock up on chelsea and man utd players as they both have great fixtures
    I think I'd change Shaw to a Chealsea defender and Fab(or actually Hazard) to Mata.
    Reasons being: I'd be just as confident, if not more, of Chelsea's clean sheet potential. And it spreads the balance in attack too. You've 3 Chelsea attackers v 1 United.
    I'd be slightly concerned over Hazards game time in the early GW's.
    He has missed a good bit of pre season, I think he'll play but if he's eased back in then Mata may be the better choice.

It's a hard one to call but generally when Jose is rebuilding/shaping a team I think he focuses on getting it right at the back first. So I'd favour United for more goals.

Cheers for the feedback. Ive been toying with the idea of having a chelsea defender as theyre usually fairly solid at the back. There were a few things putting me off them though. I have a feeling their back four could be tough to predict this season with the addition of Luis, though I presume Terry should be safe enough, at least for the first few weeks. I wanted to have all three of Cesc, Hazard and Costa in my team because Chelsea have such a kind start, but Hazard probably wont start the opening game so it would be more sensible to choose the safe option I guess.

I made a few tweaks anyway and am now going with

Speroni
    Green

Shaw
    Terry
    Moore
    Caulker
    Taylor

Mata
    Fabregas
    Ramsey
    King
    Sig

Costa
    Rooney
    Jelavic

My week 1 and week 2 teams should be fairly strong and then Ill have a transfer or two to work with so I can make a few changes based on how things have gone and then eventually wild card at some stage over the first few weeks.

Gw 1 will be:

Green (HULL)

Shaw (SWA)
    Terry (bur)
    Caulker (HULL)

Mata (SWA)
    Ramsey (CRY)
    Fabregas (bur)
    Siggy (manu)

Rooney (SWA)
    Costa (bur)
    Jelavic (qpr)

Siggy is obviously a bit of a weakness fixture-wise but I want to have him for the next couple of weeks so I dont mind him probably getting a two in the first gw. Doubling up on qpr is also a bit of a risk but I'm anticipating them being fairly solid defensively for a bottom half team and I also have Jelavic up front which somewhat cancels out the gamble on qprs defence. If I get 10+ points from those three I'll be reasonably happy.

Cesar has been recalled by qpr apprently which is a bit of a nuisance but hopefully Green will keep his place. There was also stories about lvg being unhappy with Shaws fitness but I dont see who else would start and he played 80 minutes last night so he should get the nod.

Gw 2 will be:

Speroni (WHAM)

Taylor (BUR)
    Shaw (sun)
    Terry (LEI)

Siggy (BUR)
    Mata (sun)
    Fabregas (LEI)
    Ramsey (eve)

Jelavic (STO)
    Costa (LEI)
    Rooney ((sun)

Thats about as far ahead as Ill look as Ill probably be making transfers for gw3

Apologies for the extremely long post but if anyone is bothered reading it Id appreciate more feedback as its always good to get other peoples opinions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What hype? 5 years ago hype? He was dreadful last year as you mentioned and now playing for Stoke you can't really see him doing much.

Only thing he's got going for him is he's 5.5 and going to start so he's bench fodder who will come on for 2pts, and you need to play 3-5-2. I'm a 3-4-3 man though. If you want 5 midfielders and he's allowing that because of his price then go ahead. But I reckon you might as well pick a Bent or Zamora then to save even more, bent in particular is cheaper and might start with Kozak and Benteke out.

I'm firmly in the anti-Bojan club. He could rub it in my face, but that's where I am!

Worst thing that could happen is an early goal, means I'll have to get him in for the price rises. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

[quote="8-10;91591494"

Worst thing that could happen is an early goal, means I'll have to get him in for the price rises. :([/quote]

That is the exact use of Bojan, early goal or two and us who WC early will make 0.5 off him pretty easy I reckon.

dahat wrote: »
    That is the exact use of Bojan, early goal or two and us who WC early will make 0.5 off him pretty easy I reckon.

Yep and in fairness the fixtures allow that to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Here we go again, pretty much set in midfield at this point.
    Hutton or a n other will fill a defence spot, credit to C.S.F.

Forwards have me troubled, Sturridge is carrying a hammy already and Dzeko is a rotation risk.
    Any help there appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Any thoughts on this latest effort?

G8LYMTl.png

I like the team but I'm sure I'll change it a hundred times over the next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭clint123

Thoughs ?

Mannone (Sun)

Debuchy(Ars)
    Jones (Manu)
    Ferdinand(QPR)

Barkley(eve)
    Mata(manu)
    Sanchez (Ars)
    Henderson(Liv)

Rooney(Manu)
    Sturrdige(Liv)
    Lukaku(Eve)

clint123 wrote: »
    Thoughs ?

Mannone (Sun)

Debuchy(Ars)
    Jones (Manu)
    Ferdinand(QPR)

Barkley(eve)
    Mata(manu)
    Sanchez (Ars)
    Henderson(Liv)

Rooney(Manu)
    Sturrdige(Liv)
    Lukaku(Eve)
    Not a massive fan of Barkley and Henderson as your midfielders. Reckon there would be better value options in both their price brackets.

Not a massive fan of Barkley and Henderson as your midfielders. Reckon there would be better value options in both their price brackets.

de Jong and Sigurdsson the popular ones

Any Stoke fans about? Is the Trojan really a banker to start the first few GW's with Crouch, Jerome and Diouf knocking about? Granted he scored in the last two friendlies, but worth noting he came on as a sub.

Any Stoke fans about? Is the Trojan really a banker to start the first few GW's with Crouch, Jerome and Diouf knocking about? Granted he scored in the last two friendlies, but worth noting he came on as a sub.

The thing with Bojan is that even when he doesn't start, he's probably gonna be tucked up inside Crouch's jersey and is liable to pop out, once Crouch has broken a defence, to tap in for a goal. :)

Ok, I'm giving FPL a rest for a few days, fever pitch was hit yesterday and today has gotten off to a bad start, I'll come back at the weekend and see how my new team "Bojan & his Trojans" are looking then :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I put in Bojan purely to name my team Mr. Bojangles, or Sammy Davis Jnr. I stand by this decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

XNzlyo.jpg

thoughts? :o

The thing with Bojan is that even when he doesn't start, he's probably gonna be tucked up inside Crouch's jersey and is liable to pop out, once Crouch has broken a defence, to tap in for a goal. :)

Ok, I'm giving FPL a rest for a few days, fever pitch was hit yesterday and today has gotten off to a bad start, I'll come back at the weekend and see how my new team "Bojan & his Trojans" are looking then :(
    But, my thing with Bojan is, if he doesn't start first game, all those people who were hoping to get a positive change in his value, may well end up with the opposite and at 5.5 there aren't a huge amount of options to transfer him out if needs be (it'll likely involve points hits/some people will be wildcarding).

But, my thing with Bojan is, if he doesn't start first game, all those people who were hoping to get a positive change in his value, may well end up with the opposite and at 5.5 there aren't a huge amount of options to transfer him out if needs be (it'll likely involve points hits/some people will be wildcarding).

This is another key factor in not having someone like Sanchez. If he plays up front and bangs in 2 goals against Palace, its probably wildcard time.

• Advertisement

This is another key factor in not having someone like Sanchez. If he plays up front and bangs in 2 goals against Palace, its probably wildcard time.
    I agree to an extent. I'd also say though, that bringing in a 10.5 million player is the sort of transfer I don't mind taking a 4 point hit on.

Hopefully we can get a better idea this Sunday from the Community Shield but I see it as a situation that will change a bit over the course of the season.

Advertisement