Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FSA FPL Rate My Team Thread 2014-15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

DeKing wrote: »
    Ok my first serious attempt anyway. A lot harder than I thought. No Arsenal attacking coverage but I can live with that i think.

Mannone

Sanga Cahill Shaw

Sterling Silva Albrighton Fabregas Mata

Rooney Remy

Subs: Krul Davids Bojan Mariappa

Has Edgar Davids come out of retirement all of a sudden?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭DeKing

Yea Sanga I would be unsure about him being a regular starter but Remy? He did good for Newcastle last year why wouldnt he for QPR? Hopefully he gets sold to Newcastle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭DeKing

jebforever wrote: »
    Has Edgar Davids come out of retirement all of a sudden?!

Sorry Curtis Davies of Hull. Didnt realise i was slightly dyslexic :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

So who should i go for lovren or evans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

GiftofGab wrote: »
    So who should i go for lovren or evans?

Evans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Anyone else have doubts over Mariappa to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Anyone else have doubts over Mariappa to start?

Im wondering that myself. I need him to make my West Ham / Palace rotation plan work. Tempted to go for Ward just to avoid the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭cizolin

Here's my team. Won 2 of my leagues last year and am usually there or there abouts most seasons.

Likely to be one or two changes in defense and upfront possibly but that's about it. I usually play 352 or 343 formation

Krul, Schmeichal

Bruce, dunne, trippier, vlaar, upson

Nasri, sanchez, mata, hazard, ramsey

Rooney, ings, zamora

€1m in the bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Jimmy Rabbitte Snr

Can't really understand the amount of people going with Vlaar. Yes he's decent but only the relegated 3 conceded more goals than Villa last season. He also scored no goals. He was in a very different team at the World Cup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

cizolin wrote: »
    Here's my team. Won 2 of my leagues last year and am usually there or there abouts most seasons.

Likely to be one or two changes in defense and upfront possibly but that's about it. I usually play 352 or 343 formation

Krul, Schmeichal

Rooney, ings, zamora

€1m in the bank
    Defensively you're not in a great place there. Which isn't good when you consider you've only one big striker. Have you left over value in your team? That doesn't seem like a team that would fill the 100m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

cizolin wrote: »

Krul, Schmeichal

Rooney, ings, zamora

€1m in the bank

Would you not consider dropping one of Sanchez/Ramsey to strengthen your attack? Ings and Zamora are both pretty big risks imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

9 DAYS TO GO. This is the last weekend we will have to suffer the inhumanity of no football.

I'm torn between two choices at this stage. Sanchez + Giroud + £6m striker OR Ramsey/Silva + Costa + Mr. Bojangles. Will all depend on pre-season form. Bojan currently edging selection 2 into the lead...

Debuchy, O'Shea and Pieters rotate well, should always be able to have 2 of them with a decent fixture.

oaw768.png

Why no City players rory? It seems strange that a lot of posters are leaving out the team who won the league last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

As a general point...if you are focusing on the first six (or so) fixtures, its hard to justify the expense.

City have Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea in their first six. No Aguero so its a bit harder to predict where the goals will come from.
    Yaya is dear but he might still be worth it... but with United's form in pre-season and their fixtures, people are trying to get a few of their big hitters in, as well as a few from Chelsea. Sanchez potentially playing further forward is tempting a lot of people too.
    Something has got to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Why no City players rory? It seems strange that a lot of posters are leaving out the team who won the league last year.

I think its mainly down to them not really getting going in pre season yet. The likes of zab, kompany, aguero, yaya, silva, nasri have not really featured yet . Then jovetic who has been there main man in pre season is unlikely to be a regular. It will be interesting to see how people react after the charity shield if some of the above perform well.
    The fixtures arent great either which is having some effect but I think this isnt a great reason they scored highly in games against utd, spurs, arsenal and twice in both games against pool last year. If I didnt plan on wildcarding early Id definetly have a City attacking player from the start but for now Ill wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rdwrer

Can't really understand the amount of people going with Vlaar. Yes he's decent but only the relegated 3 conceded more goals than Villa last season. He also scored no goals. He was in a very different team at the World Cup!

Completely agree. He had one good game at the World Cup and people think he's Franco Baresi.

Completely agree. He had one good game at the World Cup and people think he's Franco Baresi.

He had a very good World Cup overall. Great defender, still counts for nothing if the rest of the Villa defence leaks goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rdwrer

CSF wrote: »
    He had a very good World Cup overall. Great defender, still counts for nothing if the rest of the Villa defence leaks goals.

Sorry, I meant to say he had one GREAT game at the World Cup. Solid enough before that but the Netherlands were solid as a unit and as you said Villa won't be that tight at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

He's the third highest scoring 4.5m defender from last year so I can understand why people are going for him as back up, especially now that Cameron is unsure of his place with Stoke.
    Looking at villa's fixtures though, unless you play him in wk 2 & 3 there's no point in having him because after after Wk3 they're rightly flcuked!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

SERIOUS MATH AHEAD!

Silva pulled in 151 points in 2163mins last season.

Hazard gained 51 (202) more points with 2890mins played.

727mins extra means you're looking at 8 games more played by Hazard than Silva. Hazard is getting 6.3 points per game during those games. 3 of those points were for simply playing 90mins (If I'm recalling last season's scoring right), with another 2 or 3 for keeping a cleansheet in midfield.

I would be very weary of leaving Silva out.

Thanks for taking the time to put it together. So it looks like Hazard has 6.3 points per game according to the above, and Silva gets 6.29 (if my own maths are correct). Closer than I would have thought.

The key things for me is that: Silva gets subbed off a lot (which translates into a lot of missed minutes, and he is suspect to injury too). Points per game doesn't mean much, when Silva could play 8 games less over the course of the season.

At the end of the season, only total score will count. I don't really believe in having coverage. For example, to start off last season, I had Walcott (Giroud got all the points), Coutinho (Sturridge got all the points), etc.

That coverage was worth nothing for those teams as I just had the wrong players. I was basically left with my lad in my hand.

Having said all that, I may still opt for Silva + Giroud over Sanchez + Pellé :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

I was all but settled on my team up until yesterday when I got freaked out by not having Sanchez in my team. So now i'm back at it and onto a possible draught #3214 this morning ffs.

Opinions on the following appreciated folks:

De Gea---Gilks

Luis----Davies----Collocini----O'Shea----Moore

Hazard--Ramsey--Mata--Sigurdsson--Albrighton

Sturridge---Rooney---Wickham

3--4--3 formation with Gilks, Moore, Albrighton on the bench with O'Shea and Collocini rotating

VS

Krul---Gilks

Luis----Evans----O'Shea----Moore---Wisdom(spot up for grabs)

Hazard--Sanchez--Mata--Sigurdsson--Albrighton

Sturridge---Rooney---Bojan

Again 3--4--3 formation with Gilks, Wisdom, Albrighton on the bench rotating hopefully between O'Shea and Moore in defence.

It allows me to bump Ramsey up to Sanchez but means despite my protest against it just yesterday i'd be bringing Bojan (possibly Fletcher though) into my team :rolleyes: Obviously my defence suffers too so i guess the big question is whether or not fitting Sanchez into the team is worth it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

v3ttel wrote: »
    I was basically left with my lad in my hand.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

roryc wrote: »
    9 DAYS TO GO. This is the last weekend we will have to suffer the inhumanity of no football.

I'm torn between two choices at this stage. Sanchez + Giroud + £6m striker OR Ramsey/Silva + Costa + Mr. Bojangles. Will all depend on pre-season form. Bojan currently edging selection 2 into the lead...

Debuchy, O'Shea and Pieters rotate well, should always be able to have 2 of them with a decent fixture.

oaw768.png

The championship and rest of the football league starts this weekend... Not EPL granted but I'll still watch a few of the games.
    Thank fukk for the hurling though to get us through the last few weeks since the world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Kev I think it was you who signed up to al jazera/beinsport last year are you doing it again this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Kev I think it was you who signed up to al jazera/beinsport last year are you doing it again this year?

Dont think I'll bother. Too many games in Arabic and changes made to how many they can show live on saturdays for it to be worthwhile. Plus I have sky pack, BT pack and a bambino due in October, so whatever chances I will have to watch matches will be on the normal tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Cool was thinking of doing it myself but games in arabic would put me off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

9 days to go and I have the following decided on.

Rooney and Sanchez.

Rotating Siggy and Bojan.

That is it.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    9 days to go and I have the following decided on.

Rooney and Sanchez.

Rotating Siggy and Bojan.

That is it.

Show us your team then Mr. Confidence! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Show us your team then Mr. Confidence! ;)

I dont have a team. I have the above players and a bunch of placeholders. Lots of "Player A or Player B".

I am considering a gamble on Ashley Young instead of Mata though...3.5 m elsewhere could be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I dont have a team. I have the above players and a bunch of placeholders. Lots of "Player A or Player B".

I am considering a gamble on Ashley Young instead of Mata though...3.5 m elsewhere could be huge.

It gets me from €8m (Jovetic) to Sturridge - tempting, not sure what to do.

With no Giroud and uncertainty re Bony staying I'm in no mans land with 3rd striker (Rooney & Costa being other 2).

Either going down to €6m (Austin/Ings etc) and spread €2m around or get a Yaya.

Decisions, decisions

• Advertisement

Ramseys spot is up for grabs if Silva starts showing some form, but other than that I'm not too bothered about having this mythical 'coverage'. I'm picking the best 15 players to score points, and that just so happens to not include any City or Liverpool players! Can't have everything :)
    KevIRL wrote: »
    The championship and rest of the football league starts this weekend... Not EPL granted but I'll still watch a few of the games.
    Thank fukk for the hurling though to get us through the last few weeks since the world cup

I'm blessed enough to live in a hot country so I guess this weekend will be my last spent predominantly at the pool... certainly won't be getting out of the sun to watch Championship football!
    I am considering a gamble on Ashley Young instead of Mata though...

It has begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

fpl.png

Pretty sure this is the team I'm gonna go with. Only thing I'm considering is swapping Nasri for Eriksen and using that extra .5 to get Long or Ings in instead of Bojan.

Don't get the Nasri love, he was a nightmare for me last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

roryc wrote: »
    Don't get the Nasri love, he was a nightmare for me last season.

No world cup and now no internationals should see him start city's first 8 league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

4oTnUMd.png

Settled on this at the moment. Thoughts appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

keano_afc wrote: »

Settled on this at the moment. Thoughts appreciated.

Id swap one of Dzeko/Silva for a Chelsea option. City don't have the easiest of starts compared to Chelsea and i'd expect Hazard/Costa to bring in some good points in the first few weeks. Looks good beside that to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

hLWUhzr.png

Pretty happy with this. Maybe not quite so sure about Shaw or having no City players though. Thoughts?

Nichololas wrote: »
    hLWUhzr.png

Pretty happy with this. Maybe not quite so sure about Shaw or having no City players though. Thoughts?
    I like that team alot. The only one I'm not convinced by early on maybe is Debuchy. But for the most part it looks very strong and very balanced all at once.

Will Bruce/Wisdom play regularly enough to be viable back up options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭TaytoCrisps

pAR8Z5.jpg

Should be close to my final team bar a few of the 4-4.5mil players. Had Dzeko Rooney and De Costa up from but swapped Dzeko for Bojan and JJ Shelvey for Silva. Figured it was a better balance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

CSF wrote: »
    I like that team alot. The only one I'm not convinced by early on maybe is Debuchy. But for the most part it looks very strong and very balanced all at once.

Well, I can still go Mertesacker|Koscielny&Fonte as a straight swap for Debuchy&Shaw.
    Will Bruce/Wisdom play regularly enough to be viable back up options?

Wisdom should rotate well with Vlaar if he gets games, no idea about Bruce. But this just has to last until week 4 or 5 and the wildcard, so can restructure a little then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Anybody giving serious consideration to Lamela? Have neither him or Eriksen in at the moment but my gut for a differential would be Lamela, especially if he plays in the hole again this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's noticeable how all of our teams are so similar.

The vast majority go with De Gea + £4m or Krul/Mannone in goal.

Chelsea defensive coverage, United defensive coverage (if no De Gea in goal) and Debuchy and Davies are very popular, with a £4.5m/£5m rotation preferred by others.

The vast majority of midfields contain Ramsey/Sanchez, Hazard/Fabregas and Mata, with Sigurdsson quite popular as the 4th midfielder and Albrighton almost locked in as the 5th. Some fit City coverage in the form of Silva mostly into their sides.

Rooney, £8.5m + £6m appears to be the most popular forward line, with Rooney + Costa getting a lot of love too.

As I mentioned last week, the "template" teams this time last year contained players such as Anelka, Van Wolfswinkel, Walcott, Turner, Connolly/Hudson and Coutinho who, for one reason or another, didn't do the business in FPL terms.

It will be very interesting to review this later in the season to see how many players in our initial teams will still be there a few months down the line. The past Rate My Team threads would indicate not many!

Paully D wrote: »
    It's noticeable how all of our teams are so similar.

The vast majority go with De Gea + £4m or Krul/Mannone in goal.

Chelsea defensive coverage, United defensive coverage (if no De Gea in goal) and Debuchy and Davies are very popular, with a £4.5m/£5m rotation preferred by others.

The vast majority of midfields contain Ramsey/Sanchez, Hazard/Fabregas and Mata, with Sigurdsson quite popular as the 4th midfielder and Albrighton almost locked in as the 5th. Some fit City coverage in the form of Silva mostly into their sides.

Rooney, £8.5m + £6m appears to be the most popular forward line, with Rooney + Costa getting a lot of love too.

As I mentioned last week, the "template" teams this time last year contained players such as Anelka, Van Wolfswinkel, Walcott, Turner, Connolly/Hudson and Coutinho who, for one reason or another, didn't do the business in FPL terms.

It will be very interesting to review this later in the season to see how many players in our initial teams will still be there a few months down the line. The past Rate My Team threads would indicate not many!

Think a lot of it is fixtures related - Man U & Chelsea = very good

Liverpool & City = not very good.

I fully expect to end up with Yaya or Silva & Sturridge in my team. Also probably some spurs players (1 attacker and a defender), just the lie of the land is unknown.

Never had Anelka/VWW but it will be the same this year out of Ings/Austin/Bojan/Flecther possibly one (if even) will end up firing and being a good option.

You then have the WC as a problem - I'd prefer Giroud plus €2m than Costa at present but it seems he'll likely miss week 1, same with Lukaku, uncertainty over Bony - so to me Costa is the only real option. (fixtures help too with Costa)

So there is a myriad of reasons.

I'll guess my season keepers (season ending injuries aside) will be Bego & Feilpe Luis. Rooney, Ramsey & Mata will all come and go with injury (first 2) and fixture swaps. Fab could become Hazard or a 2nd Arsenal (Walcott/Sanchez)

Jevans will become a city/Arsenal/liverpool/palace defender at some stage.

Costa + €8m could become Giroud & Bony or similar.

I like template at this stage - hopefully stay in the pack, asses and push on once games get going.

I would love to see everyone's team posted in a single thread during GW1. Have that thread stickied and locked post GW1 and re-opened at the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭farranreeboy

Fairly happy with this side i'll go with

Mannone

Evans
    Debuchy
    Filipe Luis

Mata
    Sanchez
    Sigurdsson

Rooney
    Bojan
    Diego Costa

Subs: Krul Albrighton O'Shea Wisdom

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭farranreeboy

Forgot to throw in Fabregas aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Hmm, question. I can swap out Jelavic and Vlaar and then bring in Filipe Luis. I then have 4.5 to bring in a crappy striker. I already have Costa and Rooney up front so he probably wouldn't be needed?

Or would I be better off just keeping Jelavic and Vlaar?

Edit - Or I could get rid of Ward instead of Vlaar, bring in Luis and get a 5.0 striker ie Naismith. Gah, the decisions!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Hmm, question. I can swap out Jelavic and Vlaar and then bring in Filipe Luis. I then have 4.5 to bring in a crappy striker. I already have Costa and Rooney up front so he probably wouldn't be needed?

Or would I be better off just keeping Jelavic and Vlaar?

Edit - Or I could get rid of Ward instead of Vlaar, bring in Luis and get a 5.0 striker ie Naismith. Gah, the decisions!!

I'd switch Jelavic to Bojan or Fletcher, and use the 0.5 to upgrade Vlaar to someone at 5.0 (Davies, for example).

A - Debuchy, Young, Sturridge

V's

B - JEvans, Yaya, Bojan

V's

C - JEvans, Fabregas, Jovetic

• Advertisement
Advertisement