Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment living - General Queries

Options
  • 16-07-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

What is the best floor to buy a apartment on in your opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

Is there always a compromise in living in a apartment that you have to put up with noise and inconsiderate neighbors or is there a way to know if the apartment you are looking at is well enough noise insolated to avoid noise? I suspect viewings are scheduled for the quieter times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Murray007 wrote: »
    What is the best floor to buy a apartment on in your opinion?

Totally my opinion and not based on any facts - I would chose a top floor.

We currently rent on the first floor with neighbours above and below which is great for the heating bills but would never want neighbours above us long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Top floor is usually the best - lower heating costs, no noise from above, greater security.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Murray007 I've merged your threads as they are closely related and there will be serious overlap. Try not to spam the forums with multiple threads.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's no general answer:

Ground floor is least secure, most subject to ASB (people vomitting / pissing / and more in your doorway) highest heating bills, most likely to flood from above or outside - but you get great access and sometimes some dedicated outdoor space.

First - a bit more secure, still not bad access provided you can do stairs, but the street noise is very close, and some people may be able to climb to your level.

Second floor and above - more secure and more stairs than first. More ambient heat rising from below. If it's the top, you get no noise from above (except helicopters: yes these are a big issue in some cities), but may lose heat. If it's very high the building will generally have elevators - but it can be a long walk down if the power is out or the fire alarm goes off.

Am important issue is building and neighbourhood dependent: light-shafts and sunlight. Generally the higher you go the better the light is. But you still may not get sunlight if you're facing the wrong way, or there are other buildings around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

As mentioned above there is a reason why the penthouse is always on the top floor,, it is the warmest,, gets the most light,, safest (unless their is a fire of course)..

Ground floor is the worst,, poor light,, most likely to get robbed,, noise from street,, car park,, and from neighbours above and also the constant flow of residents walking by your windows day and night, and slaming the main door into the building,.. (I unfortunately live on the ground floor)..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

superman28 wrote: »
    As mentioned above there is a reason why the penthouse is always on the top floor,, it is the warmest,, gets the most light,, safest (unless their is a fire of course)..

Ground floor is the worst,, poor light,, most likely to get robbed,, noise from street,, car park,, and from neighbours above and also the constant flow of residents walking by your windows day and night, and slaming the main door into the building,.. (I unfortunately live on the ground floor)..

A penthouse isn't the warmest, its the one with the most outside facing surfaces. And most Irish penthouses have horrific insulation in their roof. I know, I've lived in four and worked on 3.

Impact noise is the worst thing about apartments, its hard not to notice the numerous threads on this forum alone that involve apartments above with wooden floors. Penthouses for the most part avoid this.

Advertisement