Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race

Options
  • 16-07-2014 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I am planning a charity 5k run. Can anyone give me advice as to who i should contact in relation to local authorities, Insurance costs, advertising, Public liability, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

mkearn15 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am planning a charity 5k run. Can anyone give me advice as to who i should contact in relation to local authorities, Insurance costs, advertising, Public liability, etc.
    Are you a regular runner? If not, I'd give it a miss, or alternatively, pair up with a local running club or charity to get the assistance you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mkearn15

im not a regular runner but am passionate about athletics and have worked at chaity runs as a volunteer. anyone else have any suggestions or can help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

contact your local club. the list of things to organise for a 5k race is as long as your arm and there's a big difference between being a volunteer at a race and being a race organiser

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

There are already too many half-assed races out there, not delivering on the minimum level of expectation for a race. If you care about the charity, get in contact with them and ask them how you can volunteer to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mkearn15

thanks for the advice guys. At the moment i am in the early stages of developing ideas about a race, with your help i can now look at realistic areas i need to investigate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Here is a checklist put together by one of our posters who I believe has extensive knowledge of organising road races. Now while this is a very extensive list, it gives you an idea of what is involved in putting a race together.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64641371

Having just finished helping with the organisation of my own clubs race last weekend, there are a few points I would suggest:

* Get your course accurately measured, if you wish to seek an AAI permit you will need to get your course measured by an official AAI registered course measurer. An AAI permit will also cover you in terms of insurance.

*Chip timing, not essential but a lot of runners expect this nowadays and you base your entrance fee whether you have chip timing or not.

* You will need to liaise with the Gardaí in order to get the roads closed/marshalled. The Guards now charge for this service.

*You will need to book some sort of ambulance/medical service. St John's ambulance/Civil Defence.

*Our race committee had about 8 people on it, working for a couple of weeks to get it all organised. We also required about another 15 volunteers on the day to help with registration, prizes, marshaling.

These are just the important things, there is much more that goes into it than this. The reason people are slightly cautious about offering advice is that we see a lot of people who want to raise money for charity and believe (in good faith) that a race is the way to do it. This has led to lots of races recently raising money for all sorts of diseases and organisations (such as the GAA) who have no connection to athletics. Some (not all) of these races are very badly organised and sometimes runners get stung by race organisers looking to make a quick buck (I'm not saying this is the case with you). Unless you can get people or an athletics club on board to run the organisation then there are much easier ways to raise money than putting on a race. However if you decide to go ahead with it, then some of the points above should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

pconn062 wrote: »
    * Get your course accurately measured, if you wish to seek an AAI permit you will need to get your course measured by an official AAI registered course measurer. An AAI permit will also cover you in terms of insurance.

This is misinformation that is presumed to be correct by a lot of charity/GAA/School run races.

From the AAI permit application Form.
    3. AAI Insurance provided with the Licence covers up to 1000 entrants only. – AAI club being the sole beneficiary of race funds.

4. All events where number of entrants is in excess of 1000 must be insured separately.

Therefore permit does not cover you for insurance for a charity unless funds are been solely raised for the applying AAI club.

AAI members are technically not allowed to race in events that has no permit.

For completeness Permit Application

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

ger664 wrote: »
    This is misinformation that is presumed to be correct by a lot of charity/GAA/School run races.

From the AAI permit application Form.

Therefore permit does not cover you for insurance for a charity unless funds are been solely raised for the applying AAI club.

AAI members are technically not allowed to race in events that has no permit.

For completeness Permit Application

I stand corrected. I've only ever been involved in races where the sole beneficiary was to be an AAI club so it's never been an issue.

Advertisement