Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Disaffiliate From the SU?

Options
  • 16-07-2014 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I've been thinking about this for a while ever since last year when someone first did it (Can't remember their name).

The reason is not only do I find the SU useless to the general UCD population but they have actually worked against the students and all future students interests by supporting the reintroduction of fees.

Because of this, In my opinion, in the future Irish students will end up in a similar situation to American students who are trapped by massive dept who never manage to get free of it. It is a system which has created a form of modern day serfdom.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serfdom

On top of that in my years as a student I find the SU has been used as a tool by individuals to serve their own agenda for example being a staff member of nightclub promotion companies and using their position as entertainments officer to steer all the students into certain venues.

In general my opinion is all SU officers have used their position for their own gain rather than using the position for the greater good of everyone.

Now, you may not agree with me, in fact you'll probably troll my opinions, I don't care about that but for those who have any knowledge of the process please do let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

I can put you in touch with the guy who did it, if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

I think the SU President may be able to remove you now since the precedent set last year.If not just send a letter to the Independent Appeals and Disciplinary Board and they should do so.

I'm not really sure what if anything one achieves by removing themselves from the union and I've had some dealings with the new executive this summer and they are very hardworking and honest types so you I'd say give them a chance but thats just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

I can put you in touch with the guy who did it, if that helps?

Yes if you have contact information that would be great.

kilrush wrote: »
    I think the SU President may be able to remove you now since the precedent set last year.If not just send a letter to the Independent Appeals and Disciplinary Board and they should do so.

I'm not really sure what if anything one achieves by removing themselves from the union and I've had some dealings with the new executive this summer and they are very hardworking and honest types so you I'd say give them a chance but thats just my opinion.

Why did UCD disaffiliate from the union of students Ireland? I don't know if there was an official reason for doing it but my understanding is the USI were useless and of no benefit to UCD so for that reason I'm doing the same.

It is like a form of protest and I hope other people would do the same just to send the message that self serving types are not going to be tolerated in the SU.

You say the new executive are working hard. What exactly are they doing? I'd love to know because from my point of the view the SU do not communicate anything about their work.

There doesn't seem to be any openness about what they do or if there is they are terrible at letting students know.

Another question I have is will disaffiliation mean I won't have to pay the student center levy? Reason there is I'm sick of having to pay for a gym where I'm discriminated against by restricted hours. I could that money to join a gym where there is no discrimination.

UCDCritic wrote: »
    Yes if you have contact information that would be great.

Why did UCD disaffiliate from the union of students Ireland? I don't know if there was an official reason for doing it but my understanding is the USI were useless and of no benefit to UCD so for that reason I'm doing the same.

It is like a form of protest and I hope other people would do the same just to send the message that self serving types are not going to be tolerated in the SU.

You say the new executive are working hard. What exactly are they doing? I'd love to know because from my point of the view the SU do not communicate anything about their work.

There doesn't seem to be any openness about what they do or if there is they are terrible at letting students know.

Another question I have is will disaffiliation mean I won't have to pay the student center levy? Reason there is I'm sick of having to pay for a gym where I'm discriminated against by restricted hours. I could that money to join a gym where there is no discrimination.

UCDSU disaffiliated from USI after a referendum where the small percentage of people who voted decided that the excessive amount of money we were paying USI to do SFA wasn't necessary. USI were then given a year to implement a series of reformations and if they implemented these there was to be a second referendum this year to re affiliate but to the best of my knowledge USI didnt do any of these so no such referendum took place.

The new executive are working excessive hours (8am to 10pm the time i checked in) to organise events and campaigns for next year. I don't know exactly what they are doing but send them an email or just ask at the reception and I'm sure they will give you a detailed run down of their work.

I'm not sure what kind of openness you expect like if they were to send out a daily email saying "today i met with the registrar, the president and the head of the arts programme board. we discussed X,Y and Z." soon enough they would be on the spam list of every student. From my own experience if you ask anything they will let you know as soon as possible. (even at that ive been seen to be a troll at times and they were still very helpful when I asked anything of them).

Finally even if you disaffiliate you will still have to pay all student centre levies and everything else there is no financial benefit to it. all that happens is you do not get their monthly email and you do not have anyone to represent you if you are in trouble of some sort or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SamuelOConnor

Hi UCDCritic,

I am the student who disaffiliated from the Union last year. If you PM me I will pass on my contact details. I am more than happy to help you disaffiliate - and the same goes for anyone else who might be reading this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Probably the worst SU in the country (future politicians), just have a look at the prices for food at the SU shop FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

kilrush wrote: »
    UCDSU disaffiliated from USI after a referendum where the small percentage of people who voted decided that the excessive amount of money we were paying USI to do SFA wasn't necessary.

Everything you said is fair, except.

That referendum had the highest turnout of any SU election that academic year, higher than the smoke free campus and abortion and higher than the following year's sabbatical elections as well.

At 12.5% it was a small turnout as a percentage of total students, but it was a big turnout when fairly compared to all other SU elections.

ah yeah I wasn't trying to take anything away from the No2USI campaign which has been one of the most successful campaigns I've seen in my 3 years in UCD.

It was an off hand comment in my attempt to explain how we left USI, apologies for any offence caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

I've been thinking about this for a while ever since last year when someone first did it (Can't remember their name).

The reason is not only do I find the SU useless to the general UCD population but they have actually worked against the students and all future students interests by supporting the reintroduction of fees.

Because of this, In my opinion, in the future Irish students will end up in a similar situation to American students who are trapped by massive dept who never manage to get free of it. It is a system which has created a form of modern day serfdom.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serfdom

On top of that in my years as a student I find the SU has been used as a tool by individuals to serve their own agenda for example being a staff member of nightclub promotion companies and using their position as entertainments officer to steer all the students into certain venues.

In general my opinion is all SU officers have used their position for their own gain rather than using the position for the greater good of everyone.

Now, you may not agree with me, in fact you'll probably troll my opinions, I don't care about that but for those who have any knowledge of the process please do let me know.

Can you please show me where we have free fees in this country.

in 1995 fees for an undergrad course on average £1,500.00. If a student got a grant they paid noting. In 1996 fees £0 but if I remember registration fee £250.00, if grant aided student paid nothing. Last year fees €0 registration fee €2,750 and in for example UCC capitation €165, if grant aided the student pays €165. So under free fees every one including those most in need pay more than in 1995 before free fess, so why do we want to keep free fees.

To be clear since 1996 I have advocated against the introduction of so called free fees and admire any SU who has the balls to get rid of the unfair system we currently have.

Hi UCDCritic,

I am the student who disaffiliated from the Union last year. If you PM me I will pass on my contact details. I am more than happy to help you disaffiliate - and the same goes for anyone else who might be reading this.

Hi Sam, is it possible for you to write about how you did it here?

Also maybe write about the positives and negatives of disaffiliating?

I think it would be good to be as public about it as possible just so others can see and then they might consider it for themselves also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Can you please show me where we have free fees in this country.

in 1995 fees for an undergrad course on average £1,500.00. If a student got a grant they paid noting. In 1996 fees £0 but if I remember registration fee £250.00, if grant aided student paid nothing. Last year fees €0 registration fee €2,750 and in for example UCC capitation €165, if grant aided the student pays €165. So under free fees every one including those most in need pay more than in 1995 before free fess, so why do we want to keep free fees.

To be clear since 1996 I have advocated against the introduction of so called free fees and admire any SU who has the balls to get rid of the unfair system we currently have.

Out of interest, do you have a source for that figure of 1500 pounds on average in 1995? I paid university fees between 1990 and 1994 and they were, as far as I recall, in excess of 2250 pounds which, inflation adjusted from 1990, is ca 5000 euro in 2013 terms.

Calina wrote: »
    Out of interest, do you have a source for that figure of 1500 pounds on average in 1995? I paid university fees between 1990 and 1994 and they were, as far as I recall, in excess of 2250 pounds which, inflation adjusted from 1990, is ca 5000 euro in 2013 terms.

I paid for fees 1993 and it was €1,150. If I remember Med was the higest at about €2,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I paid for fees 1993 and it was €1,150. If I remember Med was the higest at about €2,500.

In UCD? Because I definitely paid 2250+ from 1990 onwards in DCU.

Calina wrote: »
    In UCD? Because I definitely paid 2250+ from 1990 onwards in DCU.

No not UCD it would depend on the course.

This thread is about disaffiliation from the SU not fees you were paying last century.

This thread is about disaffiliation from the SU not fees you were paying last century.

Fees or registration fees or capitation it's all the same. It's money people have to find. If you believe free fees exist today you are sadly misled.

Advertisement