Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rod and reel for bass?

Options
  • 16-07-2014 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Anyone have any recommendations for a rod and reel for lure fishing for sea bass off a pier?

I don't have a huge budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Shimano Vengence is super value for money. Havnt used one yet, but just got my brother one so will give it a go in the next few weeks. get great reviews.

With regards to reels, id say shimano all the way. If you can push id go for the Aerenos ( about 125 quid)
    Next up, prob not far off the aerenos is the exage for about 80 quid.
    Finally at the cheapest end is the Catana for about 45 quid. I havnt used this but got this for my brother also so will play with it in a week or two.

That setup should leave you well prepared for a bit of lure/jelly worm fishing in the sea or even a bit of freshwater spinning if you find yourself in that situation.

As recommended already, get out the old hiking boots and walk along the coast dropping the lure in ( where its safe of course!). You might not catch as much, but what you do get will be much more fun than piles of small flatties or dogfish. Also, there's nothing more exciting than seeing a fish clear the water after your surface lure! The strike is always super aggressive, saltwater or fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

i got the shimano aernos 4000 a few weeks ago and its an excellent spinning reel.. set me back 110..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

I have the aerenos and it is a fantastic reel, I have one myself on a teklon concept, but as the OP specified a limited budget, that might be a bit over. The vantage rod and catana reel combined cost less than the aerenos! My bro has the catana on the Vengence and he swears by them for pike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Got out today with my new set up. First time lure fishing at Poolbeg. Had a bass follow the lure in but didn't go for it. Looking forward to getting out a lot more now. Anyone have any tips for the south side of Dublin?

Cheers.

Advertisement