Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a tenant need to give written notice of leaving property in this case?

Options
  • 16-07-2014 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hi

Had a check and couldn't see anything specificially about this on boards.

Tenant is coming to the end of first year of tenancy (tenancy agreement is for 12 months) - it ends in approximately 40 days. Agreement had notice periods of 28 days.

She has called landlord and advised them she is moving out and was giving notice - she has only done this verbally.

My question is should she put it in writting or has she done enough? She just wants to make sure that getting back deposit is as smooth as possible.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

If it were me I'd follow up the call with an email, confirming the conversation and asking if a final inspection can be arranged for a specific day - this way the landlord is engaged in the correspondence and is likely to respond to arrange the inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

If it were me I'd follow up the call with an email, confirming the conversation and asking if a final inspection can be arranged for a specific day - this way the landlord is engaged in the correspondence and is likely to respond to arrange the inspection.

They don't think they need to do anything but I'm advising them to put it in writing - that point about inspection is a good one - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

jinkybhoy wrote: »
    They don't think they need to do anything but I'm advising them to put it in writing - that point about inspection is a good one - thanks

They should double check their lease too, most agreements specify that notices must be given in writing (fax, email or registered letter), it's a standard enough clause in Irish law contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

As regards inspections, the OP should request a pre exit inspection about 2 weeks prior to vacating. That way, if there are any issues that can be remedied by the tenant, the tenant has time to do so. Leaving an inspection to the last moment means that the tenant may not have time to remedy any issues.

Remembering also, that once the tenancy agreement has expired the tenant has no right to enter the property.

Advertisement