Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time Triathlon nutrition advice

Options
  • 16-07-2014 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi ,

I am planning on competing in my first ever triathlon (first ever race of any description) soon, its a sprint distance and am looking for some advice on nutrition..

I have been told by different people to use electrolyte tabs by some, and an energy gel by some people, and others to just use water and i'll be grand...so I am a little confused.

I tend to sweat a lot and do get dehydrated on warm runs etc..so I am a bit worried that I'll struggle with this.

I have in the past used 2 types of 'nutritional products' on long (4-5 hours) charity cycles:
    1 a powerbar gel which seemed tobe okay (didn't struggle anyhow)
    2. a highfive carb tab in my water that contained caffeine..it didn't do me any good at all..in fact i think i struggle a bit as a result. Too much caffeine tends to make me feel a bit sick.

Any tips for what to eat/take before/during the race would be very much appreciated.

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

efwren wrote: »
    Hi ,

I am planning on competing in my first ever triathlon (first ever race of any description) soon, its a sprint distance and am looking for some advice on nutrition..

I have been told by different people to use electrolyte tabs by some, and an energy gel by some people, and others to just use water and i'll be grand...so I am a little confused.

I tend to sweat a lot and do get dehydrated on warm runs etc..so I am a bit worried that I'll struggle with this.

I have in the past used 2 types of 'nutritional products' on long (4-5 hours) charity cycles:
    1 a powerbar gel which seemed tobe okay (didn't struggle anyhow)
    2. a highfive carb tab in my water that contained caffeine..it didn't do me any good at all..in fact i think i struggle a bit as a result. Too much caffeine tends to make me feel a bit sick.

Any tips for what to eat/take before/during the race would be very much appreciated.

Ta.

Firstly relax. You'll be fine.

For a sprint you don't need electrolyte tabs, salt tabs, anything really.

Eat normally in the days leading up to the race, eat normally on the day of the race. Sip, don't gulp, some water before the race.

On the bike, sip a little sports drink or water. On the run sip water if its hot or nothing at all.

You have all the calorie requirements covered in you body for a sprint, and unless its a particularly warm day you have no real fluid needs on the bike or run. Maybe something slight to ease a dry mouth on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Firstly relax. You'll be fine.

For a sprint you don't need electrolyte tabs, salt tabs, anything really.

Eat normally in the days leading up to the race, eat normally on the day of the race. Sip, don't gulp, some water before the race.

On the bike, sip a little sports drink or water. On the run sip water if its hot or nothing at all.

You have all the calorie requirements covered in you body for a sprint, and unless its a particularly warm day you have no real fluid needs on the bike or run. Maybe something slight to ease a dry mouth on the run.

+1 on this advice.

Relax and enjoy the experience, no need to stress, worry or overthink what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

Thanks AKW and tunney for the advice which I intend to follow....keep it simple!

Advertisement