Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Texas from Ireland

Options
  • 16-07-2014 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I very rarely travel so finding out the best/most efficient ways of getting from A to B is new to me.

Basically, I want to go to Arlington, Texas in September 2016. I don't know if it's best just search for flights from Dublin -> Texas, or if I should get to somewhere else in the US and drive/train/fly from there to Texas instead.

Planning on making a good 2/3 week trip out of it, with the aim being to visit Yellowstone National Park too (about a 20hr drive if I'm not mistaken). So my two questions:

(1) Best way of getting to that general area of the States? And when do airlines start advertising flights for that far away (Sept, 2016)?

(2) What else would you recommend in to do, considering the two main places we want to go are Arlington and Yellowstone?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Given Arlington's location midway between Dallas and Fort Worth, it's probably a no-brainer that you're ultimate destination will be Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) which is one of the major hub airports in the southern US. You'll be able to fly to DFW direct from Heathrow or via any of the east coast airports served from Dublin such as JFK, Philly or Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Use skyscanner to find the best route for you, often great deals with 2 or more hops via strange locations. Flying via Atlanta, Detroit or Charlotte is easier/quicker/less stress to get through immigration than New York/Boston/Chicago. Coming via Canada is not a bad option either as you will clear immigration in Canada and be classed as a domestic arrival in Dallas.

Once you are in the states air travel is quite cheap especially from the regional airlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Dublin-Atlanta-Dallas Fort Worth with Delta would be the easiest connection imo

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Travels.ie

If flying from Dublin or Shannon and using the CBP pre-clearance facility you will be landing as a domestic passenger so immigration queues shouldn't be an issue.
    Atlanta to Dallas is probably the best option and Atlanta is a very easy airport to make connections through. It may be a bit longer time wise but if i recall correctly the last time I flew American Airlines to JFK from Dublin the flight was going onward to Austin Tx.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

FWIW, the shortest (great circle) route from Dublin to DFW passes very close to Chicago so if you want to minimize travelling time you could aim to fly via Chicago though poster athrasna's suggestion above (via Atlanta with Delta) does have the benefit of involving only one carrier which carries the benefit that you only deal with one airline meaning smoother transfers, you'll be looked after if there are delays along the way and your bags are less likely to go missing.

Remember that the first Monday in September is Labour Day (Monday Sept 5th, 2016) which is traditionally the end of summer so airports are very busy that weekend with people taking the last break with the kids before they go back to school/college, avoid that weekend and you will get a better deal but don't go booking too early or you'll pay over the odds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

coylemj wrote: »
    FWIW, the shortest (great circle) route from Dublin to DFW passes very close to Chicago so if you want to minimize travelling time you could aim to fly via Chicago though poster athrasna's suggestion above (via Atlanta with Delta) does have the benefit of involving only one carrier which carries the benefit that you only deal with one airline meaning smoother transfers, you'll be looked after if there are delays along the way and your bags are less likely to go missing.

Remember that the first weekend in September is Labour Day which is traditionally the end of summer so airports are very busy with people taking the last break with the kids before they go back to school/college, avoid that weekend and you will get a better deal but don't go booking too early or you'll pay over the odds.

Avoid going through Chicago if you can. It is a disaster for getting delayed in. LHR direct to DFW will be the most straight forward. But depending on the dates you pick you might want to check the various options and the pricing.

Some other options are.

SNN or DUB to LHR. LHR to DFW or DAL
    SNN or DUB to ORD. ORD to DFW or DAL
    SNN or DUB to EWR. EWR to DFW or DAL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I want to go to Arlington, Texas in September 2016.

You've put money on the Texas Rangers making it to the World Series in 2016 havent you?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

Living in Dallas myself... usually easiest (and cheapest) to go through Chicago or Boston... and contrary to the post above I haven't ever had problems with delays in ORD flying here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Hey guys,

I very rarely travel so finding out the best/most efficient ways of getting from A to B is new to me.

Basically, I want to go to Arlington, Texas in September 2016. I don't know if it's best just search for flights from Dublin -> Texas, or if I should get to somewhere else in the US and drive/train/fly from there to Texas instead.

USC/Bama game I take it :D and make sure you hit Foxboro on your way out of the country. I will be disappoint if you don't

Advertisement