Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weighing your wheelie bin

Options
  • 16-07-2014 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

I noticed that 3 of my last bin lifts were exactly 34.00kg. The weighing is accurate to within 500g so I'm amazed that 3 household rubbish lifts were all between 33.50-34.00kg.

Is there any way to weight a wheelie bin yourself before leaving it out. Just out of interest.
    I'm sure the weighing lift equipment is calibrated often, and I'm no mathematician, but seems not great odds to get the the same given the randomness of household rubbish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Only way would be a scales I would have thought.

it does seem a bit strange that the last 3 lifts were the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 onceyourhappy

With Greyhound, they charge 7 Euro for a 25kilo Black bin. I had a bin collected last week weighing 81 Kilo's and they charged me 26 Euro. They're explaination was 7 Euro for 25k and 33 cents for every Kilo over and above.
    My question : how do I know that the bin weighed 81 Kilos.

Seems like this pricing is only being implimented recently.
    Anyone else throw any light on this.

How can we measure the weight b4 it goes for lifting.

Thanks
    Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

With Greyhound, they charge 7 Euro for a 25kilo Black bin. I had a bin collected last week weighing 81 Kilo's and they charged me 26 Euro. They're explaination was 7 Euro for 25k and 33 cents for every Kilo over and above.

Thanks
    Tommy

What are you putting in your bin to make it weigh 81 Kgs? Bricks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Well if you are really determined, get two domestic weighing scales, place them a few feet apart, place a plank of wood across them, then sit the bin on the plank of wood. Note the sum of the weight on each and repeat after the bin is emptied and deduct from the first weight..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can get luggage scales that weigh up to 50KG albeit its not a particularly cheap way to find out; and the hand-held spring ones either don't go that high or require herculean strength to use if they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

L1011 wrote: »
    You can get luggage scales that weigh up to 50KG albeit its not a particularly cheap way to find out; and the hand-held spring ones either don't go that high or require herculean strength to use if they do.

best of luck trying to lift an 81KG wheelie bin. :D

The method that homer911 posted is the best approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thanks
    Tommy

26 euro for a bin lift!!!! I nearly choked on my coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

We've twins put a weeks nappies in the bin an you'll soon know about it our last bill was 200+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

We've twins put a weeks nappies in the bin an you'll soon know about it our last bill was 200+

81KG of nappies? holy sh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

That's some heavy sh1t, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Walshclan

Time to go back to cloth nappies ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    26 euro for a bin lift!!!! I nearly choked on my coffee!

the new pay-by-weight charges in my area are approx .25c per kilo so depending on what you put in the bin it can get heavy pretty quick, and cost a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread, closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement