Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut oil and cats

• 16-07-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if coconut oil is truly beneficial for cats as a supplement? I've read bits and pieces saying it's properties are beneficial to both pets and humans but I'm too lazy today to properly google the in's and outs of it :D My new cat seems to love it (have tried him with a small amount).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Its as brilliant for cats as it is for dogs, humans etc. Its a real wonderfood, great for the immune system, digestion, skin health, brain health its the list seems never-ending - I swear by it for my dogs but I cannot get any of my 3 cats to eat it so Im envious your cat likes it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I tried a little bit with our cats, none of them were interested, though sometimes when I put it on my skin they'll have the odd lick of my arm to have a taste. I use the pure coconut oil. That's just one of many many things that I've tried with them that they just turn there noses up at:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'd like to try this on Jake, he's 13 now and he gets bouts of cat flu like symptoms regularly (had bad cat flu as a kitten and has scared nasal passages etc, but lungs aren't bad) and I feel his immune system is a bit low. He like coconut milk (in my Thai red curry last night), so can someone tell me whats the best stuff to buy for him?
    May give the dogs and other cats a bit too, so is the stuff in the supermarket ok? Or is there anything to look for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

What dosage per KG are people using for dogs?

And cats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

mymo wrote: »
    And cats?

This is where I'm hoping lots of lovely validated links will come from.:D I have read up on the human benefits but would love to see someone post about the same with their pets.

I actually bought it for myself. I should explain why I'm asking. I've been using it as a hair moisturiser (amazing), makeup remover (same) and as a substitute for sunflower oil for cooking. I have a few pots on the go.

I left one lid down last night and Charlie licked it clean (~2gms) and had it on my hands this evening and he started licking it off. It's not harmful at all, especially in those quantities but am curious to see if anyone else is giving it to their pets too ;)

If you look it up you usually find they say one teaspoon per 5 kg bodyweight for dogs, I don't probably give quite that much. My 30 kg dog gets about 4 teaspoons my 20 kg dog about 3 tsp and my 16 kg dog about 2 tsp a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

maggiepip wrote: »
    If you look it up.

I could.....but I'd rather hear firsthand what people are doing with it ;)

Edit: If anyone is wondering why I'm talking in gms rather than mls. Cocount oil is solid at room temperature.

anniehoo wrote: »
    I could.....but I'd rather hear firsthand what people are doing with it ;)

Edit: If anyone is wondering why I'm talking in gms rather than mls. Cocount oil is solid at room temperature.

No no I didn't mean you should go look it up lol - I meant it seems to be generally recommended that dogs get 1 tsp per 5 kg. Its not as easy to find the dose recommended for cats but (if my cats ate it) I would feel about half a teaspoon per average cat - but I cant supply a link to back up what I feel! One thing though, do use the cold pressed extra virgin type, because some coconut oils are more processed and some can be even hydrogenated,which is no good. Supervalu sell Cocowel cold pressed which is reasonable enough and great quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

maggiepip wrote: »
    If you look it up you usually find they say one teaspoon per 5 kg bodyweight for dogs, I don't probably give quite that much. My 30 kg dog gets about 4 teaspoons my 20 kg dog about 3 tsp and my 16 kg dog about 2 tsp a day.

Thanks for the info. 40KG dog here, that's a lot of tsps!

• Advertisement

I'll get of light, mine are 7.5 and 12ish kgs!
    But the cats are pretty big (tall and long), all over 3.5 kgs, haven't weighed them in ages, one was 4.4kgs but he's lost a little, looks more normal weight now.

Thanks we have a Supervalu near here, will take a look.

Advertisement