Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs on a graduate visa to the states....

Options
  • 16-07-2014 9:01pm
    Site Banned Posts: 96 ✭✭

The application form on the USIT website states it is an 'internship' job visa and I have heard many other people on here say similar things. Can anyone shed light on this? Are we expected to go over to the states and take up an internship where we may or may not be paid?

Also have any other engineers gone on this visa? I've done a renewable energy/HVAC engineering degree, where do you suggest I go for work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'm an EE so similar boat to yourself.

I think the term is internship alright, but they usually specify whether they're paid or not. For us I'd say most are paid - and for the ones that aren't just don't apply for them. Not too sure about location but I'd say for energy engineering somewhere in the mid-west would be a good shout. I'm open to correction though, also you might do well asking this in the Engineering forum because some of them might already be working over there.

• Site Banned Posts: 96 ✭✭engineerbrah

I'm an EE so similar boat to yourself.

I think the term is internship alright, but they usually specify whether they're paid or not. For us I'd say most are paid - and for the ones that aren't just don't apply for them. Not too sure about location but I'd say for energy engineering somewhere in the mid-west would be a good shout. I'm open to correction though, also you might do well asking this in the Engineering forum because some of them might already be working over there.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Most engineering internships are paid but don't expect to get rich. I got $9 an hour when I was over here on J1.

The only advice I can give is to get your CV reviewed, it is important that it sound professional. I don't think it's important to have Americanisms in it as it will be obvious your Irish. I've read some CVs from Irish folks looking for internships over here and based on their CV I wouldn't hire them to pick fruit!

Send out dozens of CVs they're free. Update your LinkedIn account, remember it's not Facebook a lot of hiring departments will look at it. Make sure your Facebook isn't public for anyone to see.

Check local career websites from chamber of commerces and things. Look for smaller local companies too where the hiring manager or even the owner will be looking at your CV, don't spend all your time looking to big multinationals where your CV only gets reviewed by HR who probably get hundreds of them daily.

Advertisement