Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daredevil [Netflix/Disney - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    That was brilliant. Has it been renewed yet?

Don't think it will be :(

Seems to be series for Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage all to set up a Defenders movie/show. I'm sure they'll cross over like Arrow/Flash do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭adaminho

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Superior/news/?a=118932

This is saying that a second series is already planned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Really enjoyed the show as a whole but I actually think it ended pretty tamely in the last three or so episodes. I was deeply unsatisfied by the finale really but still, be happy with a second season!

Really enjoyed the show as a whole but I actually think it ended pretty tamely in the last three or so episodes. I was deeply unsatisfied by the finale really but still, be happy with a second season!

Thought this aswell, enjoyed it alot but enjoyed the start more than the end. Suppose they couldn't exactly kill off anyone like
    Kingpin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Just watched the first couple. Enjoying it. Love Charlie Cox in Boardwalk and he has not disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At episode 3 and feeling conflicted: I'm nowhere near squeamish, having watched Walking Dead and 'enjoyed' its gruesome FX work, but even I flinch at the graphic violence in this and can't help wonder if Marvel are trying way, way too hard to be "adult". Feels like overcompensation in trying to distance themselves from shows like the more family-friendly Agents of SHIELD. I don't like it tbh, just comes across as adolescent rather than mature or adult.

I am enjoying the show otherwise, don't get me wrong, the shady morality and character work is rich and well drawn, but moments like the end of episode three where
    the badguy headbutts the spiked railings, or earlier with yet another close-up of a broken limb
    really break me out of the mood. It's a bit off-putting tbh, and like I said, it ain't an aversion to violence on principle.

I'm curious: is it like this all the way through?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That death is the worst thing in the series imo.

Turtwig wrote: »
    That death is the worst thing in the series imo.

Agreed, but the thing is that it adds to just how scared people are of this person - they know that taking their own life is the only way to get away, to save those they love.

I loved this show- I think the violence was needed. I actually think they did it quite tastefully ... it wasn't in your face, it was filmed fantastically. It wasn't so much to separate it from the likes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, but more so to show what they can do now because they're outside the restrictions set on them by the cable networks.

The different aspects -
    The fights looked like they hurt, but the characters reacted that way. There were bruises, and scars, and injuries. It was similar to what they did with Batman when Christopher Nolan came to the helms. They aren't magical beings and they do get hurt.

The morality of Fisk. I'll try and keep it relatively spoiler free, but what was fantastic about him is that Daredevil and him are so similar - they both love the city and will do everything for it. It was portrayed so perfectly and you could tell how conflicted he was with what he had to do,
    until towards the end, when he realized everyone was against him and then the gloves came off

Everybody involved was a fantastic actor - they could have gone so stereotypical with the Russians, the Chinese, and the Japanese, but they never did once.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    At episode 3 and feeling conflicted: I'm nowhere near squeamish, having watched Walking Dead and 'enjoyed' its gruesome FX work, but even I flinch at the graphic violence in this and can't help wonder if Marvel are trying way, way too hard to be "adult". Feels like overcompensation in trying to distance themselves from shows like the more family-friendly Agents of SHIELD. I don't like it tbh, just comes across as adolescent rather than mature or adult.

I am enjoying the show otherwise, don't get me wrong, the shady morality and character work is rich and well drawn, but moments like the end of episode three where
    the badguy headbutts the spiked railings, or earlier with yet another close-up of a broken limb
    really break me out of the mood. It's a bit off-putting tbh, and like I said, it ain't an aversion to violence on principle.

I'm curious: is it like this all the way through?

There's something fairly gruesome in the next few episodes but I think it works to establish something about a certain character in that case, where the bit you mentioned was a bit daft. I can't recall anything near those levels for the rest of the series off the top of my head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Isn't 2016 early since they're doing the three other character's series and mini series? Just seems like that could be rushed as an attempt to desperately capitalise on the success of this season, even though season two would still be as successful if they waited two or three years with it given the tie-ins with the other series.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Isn't 2016 early since they're doing the three other character's series and mini series? Just seems like that could be rushed as an attempt to desperately capitalise on the success of this season, even though season two would still be as successful if they waited two or three years with it given the tie-ins with the other series.

The plan would have always been a new season every year like any other show provided it was deemed a success I would have thought. I don't think it will be rushed as a result. Leaving 3 years or something until the next season would have made it difficult to keep the cast together too I'd imagine. Defenders is a few years away yet so it makes sense for the individual shows to be doing their own thing in the meantime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's something fairly gruesome in the next few episodes but I think it works to establish something about a certain character in that case, where the bit you mentioned was a bit daft. I can't recall anything near those levels for the rest of the series off the top of my head though.

I assume you mean when
    Fisk batters the Russian mobster with a car door until the guys head is turned to mush?
    . Yeah it established the character all right, but still think the lurid, extreme violence is a massive negative in the shows tone. Hope Marvel dial it back a little in season 2 and stop trying so hard.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I assume you mean when
    Fisk batters the Russian mobster with a car door until the guys head is turned to mush?
    . Yeah it established the character all right, but still think the lurid, extreme violence is a massive negative in the shows tone. Hope Marvel dial it back a little in season 2 and stop trying so hard.

Yeah that's the one. I don't remember anything else like that after that episode so maybe they already made a conscious decision to dial it back.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Just finished the season. Overall I really enjoyed it, I didn't have a problem with the violence, it was extreme at times but it didn't put me off as it has others.

I did find parts of the last episode a bit poor however.
    It suffers from usual problem of an awkward intrepreation of a comic book hero's costume. The very last scene when he's up on the roof and clumsily turn his whole body because he can't turn his head made me cringe. The first costume was simple and fit well with the dark gritty tone set by all that violence. It's one of those situations where a comic book adaption works better without the flamboyance and tropes of the source material.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah that's the one. I don't remember anything else like that after that episode so maybe they already made a conscious decision to dial it back.

Cool, I'll keep going. This sh*t makes me feel old and cranky, feels like back in the day I wouldn't care but sometimes I've felt like slapping Netflix around the head and telling it to grow up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I actually enjoyed the violence. Not something you usually see much of in Marvel stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Just finished.

Thought it started well. That fight scene in the second episode was very strong. The black costume was great.

Felt the acting was a mixed bag - I thought Fisk and Foggy were very strong, the others not so much. The Vanessa character wasn't well developed.

On to the finale:
    I thought it was very disappointing. The tone just goes out the window and some of the dialogue is terrible. The fight scene just looks weird and the costume is beyond awful. Avclub says the guy who directed that episode isn't coming back and that's a blessing. Hopefully he takes that gimp costume with him.

For anyone who likes the show, the comics by Ed Brubakker and Brian Bendis/Alex Maleev and Mark Waid would be well worth checking out.

It's a character that's had some great writers work on it down through the years and personally I think the comic storylines are very strong.

I'll be back for Season 2 as I'm a Marvel fanboy. Bringing in the likes of Luke Cage and Iron Fist would be deadly. More stick as well please!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Finished it last night, In general I liked it a lot - I'd love to see the punisher handled in a similar style.

The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the portrayal of the Kingpin.
    I felt like he swerved from being feared and powerful, to almost childlike and awkward, and prone to bursts of uncontrolled rage & impulse. I'm not very knowledgeable on Kingpin from the comics, but I always figured him for an almost Godfather like figure, that constantly evaded paying for his crimes and as a master manipulator, not some borderline idiot savant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Regarding the Kingpin:
    The show kind of points out to us that he is powerful and to be feared but really because other factions are propping him up because it's also in their interests. Once he meets Vanessa and starts losing sight of his goals this becomes more apparent and a schism begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Turtwig wrote: »
    Regarding the Kingpin:
    The show kind of points out to us that he is powerful and to be feared but really because other factions are propping him up because it's also in their interests. Once he meets Vanessa and starts losing sight of his goals this becomes more apparent and a schism begins.
    Thats all well and good, but it's the borderline stammering, facial tics, and build up to explosions of rage that I felt didnt gel.
    some of it was great - the way he orchestrated nobu against matt, having dinner in the restaurant alone, with the waiter ready to I presume give a signal to a sniper or something.

but the attack on ben urich was too emotional in its delivery IMO, I'd have much rather he delivered his lines in an almost monotone, "you visited my mother, and that is unacceptable" before killing him. "

• Registered Users Posts: 60,629 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season two of Marvel's Daredevil could introduce
    the Punisher
    if lead actor Charlie Cox has his way.:D

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s264/daredevil/interviews/a643722/daredevil-charlie-cox-wants-to-meet-the-punisher-in-season-2.html#~paNkMKq9JGIYOa

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Please be Thomas Jane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Finished this today and overall, really enjoyed it. Let me preface this by saying I am not familiar with the comic's canon.

I felt the finale was rushed and a bit awkward. The new costume looks silly. There was nothing especially wrong with the old one for the setting.

While I'm a big fan of Vincent D'onofrio, I'm not sure about some aspects of his portrayal. (Though I have not read the comics so he could be nailing the character to a tee).

And Madam Gao,
    she was quite formidable in her ruthlessness yet she just rolls over and says "oh well"? Although I'm assuming the cryptic "home is a long way from China" comment and her strange strength could mean that she might not even be from Earth and so it could be a trivial concern for her.

I wanted more development from Vanessa. Why is she with this man? What attracts her to him? He was crazy intense from the moment they met, yet very secretive. Why did she implicitly trust that his vision matched hers?
    She brought a gun to dinner but is suddenly convinced he would never harm her.

Occasionally, some of the dialogue is a little lame. But I'll definitely be watching when it comes back, looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Show would be 600% better if Foggy could act.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Wonderful first act, great theme tune and a well played villain.
    Pity about the new headgear though, it's very corny. I hope it gets refined for season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭El Diablo Blanco

I liked Charlie Cox as lead, and had previously enjoyed him in Boardwalk Empire. Definitely a more likeable protagonist than the likes of Oliver Queen from Arrow (who I find to be written like a dick about 95% of the time.) I also really enjoyed his scenes with Rosario Dawson - their stuff was some of the better material from the season for me.

Supporting characters like Karen, Foggy and Ben Urich were hit-and-miss. I never warmed to Ben, so
    his death
    didn't have the emotional weight or impact that I assume the show had intended it to have. Foggy fluctuated between amusing comic relief, and slightly annoying (particularly his somewhat clichéd reaction to
    finding out about Matt
    .)

I found the criminal empire of Fisk and the Russians/Japanese/Chinese to be muddled and fairly unengaging, if I'm honest. I'm still not sure about D'Onofrio's performance, either. At times it came off as fairly wooden, but I'm not sure how far he was going with playing a character with fairly poor social skills. It reminded me of that line from Arrested Development, when Michael Bluth describes his befuddlement over listening to bagpipe music, and wondering whether he was listening to good music played badly, or bad music played well. I got the same vibe from the portrayal of Fisk, though he was reasonably rounded as a character.

It was grittier than the average Marvel affair, and had flashes of brilliance, but I came away from it ever-so-slightly underwhelmed. I'd watch the second season, but wouldn't be hotly anticipating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Was convinced to watch this after a good few friends of mine raved quite highly about it. Watched it all the way to the end and while it has some cool moments it just felt like a retread of so many superhero stories, the main support characters were clunky and one dimensional, at times was very poorly acted and had some horrendous scriptwriting. I mean how many times is Foggy going to tell everyone that THE LAW is the only right and proper way to go after Fisk? Nevermind how many times I zoned out of the three main characters rambling on for a few minutes only to miss absolutely nothing.
    And as for the acting by whoever plays Foggy... Oh dear. Painful to watch most of the time, and Karen wasn't much better.
    There were some fairly nice moments of cinematography in the fight scenes early on in the series but they seemed to get dropped quite suddenly. I think there was one episode with one long shot of a fight in hallway, then an episode or two later another long POV shot in a car and that was it. It was like they saw a few episodes of Banshee and thought they'd try and go for that style but then realised the effort of it and bailed.
    It also did not have a trace of the wit or humour that other shows with fairly well worn character types use to avoid becoming a cliched mess.
    All that being said if I hear good things about the second season I may still give it a go as so many of my favourite shows are ending or have ended recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I really enjoyed, much more than I have enjoyed any of the Marvel movies.

I think it was comparable in tone and setting to Batman. Daredevil is a comparable hero in terms of his actual skillset, even though their source of advantage is obviously different.

Basic assessment of characters. I spoilered everything because I figured if I only spoilered the characters who died it would be fairly obvious.
    Murdock / Daredevil: Very happy with this casting, I like him all the time. I like his fighting flaws, he definitely gets lucky, he seems very vulnerable. I also like his mental flaws. The one on ones with the priest. The near breakdown towards the end. I like him a lot.

Fisk: He was good, not brilliant. His speeches are meant to display nerves and vulnerability, I get that. He's not meant to stand up and have the charm of a charismatic dictator. I got a bit sick of hearing him talk after a while, but it was probably important for the character. I also never really understood his grand plan, was he just trying to build condos but have a heroin network underneath?

Foggy: He was pretty meh, the whole way through. Whiny voice bothered me, the aesthetic slightly bothers me. I think he can become better as a character and as an actor.

Karen: Wasn't that into Karen. She's very whiny and useless, which makes her hardcore moments unbelievable. Like the jail cell, tricking Ben and Wesley.

Ben: I like Ben. I kind of wish they hadn't killed him, I saw him as being the mentor figure to this group of effectively adolescent crime fighters. The Batman comparison would be Fox, Gordon or Alfred. Without him they lack wisdom. I think you can get away with a superhero who lacks Wisdom, but not with Daredevil, he relies on the priest so much.

Wesley: Another I wish had survived. Although I don't know what roll he would have had in Kingpins less legitimate future. I just liked his style, I liked the way it was acted. He was a shallow character, but he was articulate and suave and everything Fisk wasn't. He brought some polish and finesse to Fisk.

Leland: I knew he had poisoned them straight away. He was a fine character, I won't miss him much. I just think it's really weird he tazed Daredevil and just drove off.

I know they took their time over announcing a sequel, but surely when Stick had his final scene talking to that Ra's Al Ghul chap they were opening it up for a sequel.

I'll watch season 2.

Advertisement