Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone seized by police

• 17-07-2014 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Dear boards,

Unfortunatley earlier today I had my iphone seized by police, I was found with a small amount of a green substance on me.

I did not give them my pin, they have kept it and told me that they are planning to search through it.

They turned the phone off

I went home and immediately activated the erase via "find my iphone" icloud program.

Anyone know if they have the capabilities to gain access to data on my phone ?

Much appreciated.

Comments

One of the reasons, why they turn off the phone is, so the phone cannot be remotely wiped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

I'd move that to legal forum. How can a Garda just take your phone because you had a bit of "green" ? Can't be right surely .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Egass13 wrote: »
    I'd move that to legal forum. How can a Garda just take your phone because you had a bit of "green" ? Can't be right surely .

Would think the OP needs to define "bit" as what the guards may hold a different view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Surely they'd need a warrant to search your phone? Same as to go through your mail, etc.

Edit: But if you've done that, it would surely erase as soon as it's turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Contact a solicitor and get your phone back if they didn't have a warrant, seizing your phone or any other electronic device is the same as searching your house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

According to citizens information, the gardai can take your phone.
    "Search on Arrest
    When you are arrested, the Gardai may take goods in your possession if they believe that it is necessary to do so and if the goods are evidence in support of a criminal charge. The Gardai may search you after your arrest without a search warrant and the goods seized may be kept and used as evidence at your trial."
    citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/arrests/powers_of_search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

If it was a lot of 'green' they may be looking for evidence of dealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Yeah wipe your phone... That's a smart idea.. Why would you wipe it with nothing to hide...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

What's green?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

jamesd wrote: »
    What's green?

Marajuwana I presume,unless he was smuggling Parsley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What's green?

Marajuwana I presume,unless he was smuggling Parsley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

What's green?

It's what you get when you mix blue and yellow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bahairy

thank you all for your relpies.

maybe this might be better as one poster mentioned on the legal forum, if thats possible moderator?

it was a very small amount. theres not way i would be suspected of dealing. they also searched both my addresses with a warrent and found nothing.

Im concerned about the security of the device itself. I have nothing to hide from a legal point of view but i was treated badly in custody and there is a sensitive information regarding my personal life that I would never want anyone accessing. I view it as an unneccessary invasion of my privacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Can you go back to 'findmyphone' an undo the erase? I would seriously consider doing so... Otherwise you've just destroyed evidence / impeeded a criminal investigation. A lot more serious than 'a bit of green'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

They will ofcourse be checking your phone to see if you have had contact with whoever you might have got said green from....
    Ridiculous waste of time and resources..... The sooner small amounts of cannabis are decriminalised the better. That's another matter...
    I really doubt they will bring charges of impeding etc ect. However if worried contact a lawyer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

They will take your phone to gain intel from, see who you are buying said green from. Its quiet normal for them to take the phone, they can search you without a warrent on the suspicion of drugs so im sure they can seize the phone under the same guise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

The cops applied for and were granted warrants to search two locations, on the basis of a personal-use quantity of grass? Either someone has an overtime quota to reach or they have stronger suspicions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I highly doubt it was "a small bit".

You were caught with intent to distribute, they have the right to seize anything on your person which may aid the investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I highly doubt it was "a small bit".

You were caught with intent to distribute, they have the right to seize anything on your person which may aid the investigation.

You are obviously the cop that arrested him then?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My understanding AFAIR from a similar US case
    - to access the data a warrant would need to be issued. This will then allow the police to check for evidence related to the initial crime incident. The only exception to this is were there is a real and present threat of further series crime that would necessitate immediate access. But on the OP's facts that seems unlikely in this instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

minikin wrote: »
    Can you go back to 'findmyphone' an undo the erase? I would seriously consider doing so... Otherwise you've just destroyed evidence / impeeded a criminal investigation. A lot more serious than 'a bit of green'

Unless the data is overwritten it's still recoverable, might be take a while to crack the encryption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Del2005 wrote: »
    Unless the data is overwritten it's still recoverable, might be take a while to crack the encryption.
    Not really, both Apple and Google are upfront with the fact that they'll cooperate with police investigating crime. They both have an internal unit that handles requests for unlocking by law enforcement.
    Manach wrote: »
    - to access the data a warrant would need to be issued. This will then allow the police to check for evidence related to the initial crime incident. The only exception to this is were there is a real and present threat of further series crime that would necessitate immediate access. But on the OP's facts that seems unlikely in this instance.
    I'd have thought electronic equipment found in the house the warrant was issued for would be covered by that warrant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Manach wrote: »

How do US laws have any relevance whatsoever to Irish legislation?? Seriously?? Why don't you quote some relevant Outer Mongolian legislation while you are at it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

No really relevant to this forum. Contact a solicitor would be my advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement