Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MilDot Calculations .22LR Drop Am i right here??

Options
  • 17-07-2014 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Well after doing up a chart i was wondering am i doing this right lads really puzzled here could this be right am i at nothing!

Using Winchester Subsonics zerod at 50 using X10 Mag so distance between dots is 3.6 dots at 100 yards at 10 mag

Range........Drop Inch.....Distance Between Mildot(inches)....Dots Dwn Rough
    50..............0..........................0.....................................0

75..............2..........................2.5..................................1 1/4

100............6..........................3.6..................................1 3/4

125............9..........................4.5..................................2

150...........13.........................5.4..................................2 1/5

175...........16.........................6.5..................................2 1/2

200...........21.........................7.2..................................3

between 100 and to 150 im right around 2 mildots

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

1shot16 wrote: »
    Well after doing up a chart i was wondering am i doing this right lads really puzzled here could this be right am i at nothing!

Using Winchester Subsonics zerod at 50 using X10 Mag so distance between dots is 3.6 dots at 100 yards at 10 mag

Range........Drop Inch.....Distance Between Mildot(inches)....Dots Dwn Rough
    50..............0..........................0.....................................0

75..............2..........................2.5..................................1 1/4

100............6..........................3.6..................................1 3/4

125............9..........................4.5..................................2

150...........13.........................5.4..................................2 1/5

175...........16.........................6.5..................................2 1/2

200...........21.........................7.2..................................3

between 100 and to 150 im right around 2 mildots

In order to get proper dope you need to A. Know your exact muzzle velocity (measure it with a chronograph) or B. Go out, shoot the distances and write down the results. Usually B follows A, to "true" the predicted data.

If you are using a second focal plane scope, it will only measure true at one mag setting, that setting can be found by looking at the manufacturers website. Otherwise your mildots will mean nothing (unless your good at mental maths on the fly).

When measuring between two mildots, you measure from the center of one dot to the center of another, not the edges, that equals 1 mil, just so you know.

Just one observation, I dont know if your data is correct, but with "Distance Between Mildot(inches)", try forget about the inches part. If your using a mil reticle to measure things, just use that, you dont need to convert it to inches. Your mildot reticle is a ruler that measures in mils, just call it as you see it. It will make life easier on you.

Now if you had a mil reticle and mil adjustments, life would really be handy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Thanks for the reply there thats alot of info..not great at maths doing pass for the LC haha

Am i was readin up all this scope stuff is alot the take in just want the basic chart like the one above if its right or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

1shot16 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply there thats alot of info..not great at maths doing pass for the LC haha

Am i was readin up all this scope stuff is alot the take in just want the basic chart like the one above if its right or not

The only real way to get your DOPE is to go out and shoot those distances, JBM etc can get you very very close but they rely on a muzzle velocity measurement being correct. Just go shoot it dude!

Try this for practising your milling, they have a demo online, the full version is great craic...
    http://www.shooterready.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

1shot16,
    What scope are you using? There are so many great aps out there, I would be surprised if the manufacturer or someone else did not have the calculations already sorted.

Here's a nice program for Nikon scopes called Spot-On.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

As said above your mildots are only 'True' at at certain zoom. If you don't know what that is for your scope you can find out.

Put up a at 100m with at level line drawn on it. On that line put marks at 100mm along it. Those marks are what the dots should be lined up on too by zooming in or out. When they all line up that is the zoom that's correct.

On my Bushnell 4200 elite 6-24x50 the manual says it's 12 zoom, and that number is coloured red on the scoop, that is correct but after doing the test I found out it was the '1' digit of the '12' number that was correct.

All was told before on Boards here and a good read with a video link
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82390555

Better explained here and printable 'Truing' targets
    http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/targets/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

I use hawke chair gun application to work mine out, but your really at nothing without measuring your actual bullet speed and using the ballistic coefficient of that particular round your using.

Advertisement