Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some airplane circling around South Dublin tonight 17/07/14

Options
  • 17-07-2014 2:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

Woke me up from my sleep, some sort of airplane circling around area I live in (Dundrum)- must have done about 10 to 12 circuits at least now, just going around.

Is anybody else awake on boards tonight that can hear this? Please shed some light. Surely commercial flights would not be circling around such a small area in South Dublin. I cannot make out how big the plane is but it has a flashing green light and it is making alot of noise.

Any ideas on what this might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Chinese lantern, go back to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Think I heard it too in Rathmines.....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

I'm in bed in dublin 12 can hear something something, can't be arsed gettin up to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

That's nice.

Shame this isn't the Dublin forum, so I couldn't tell you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

Just seen it but had a white light sounded like helicopter couldn't really make it out flew right over my house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 AnotherRebel

I can actually still hear it but it has definitely moved further away from me than what it was- perhaps Dublin 6/Dublin 12 area as previous posters suggested.

Very random.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    That's nice.

Shame this isn't the Dublin forum, so I couldn't tell you

much of a muchness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 AnotherRebel

Dark sun wrote: »
    Just seen it but had a white light sounded like helicopter couldn't really make it out flew right over my house.

I definitely saw it circle around my place a few times and it had a green light flashing- couldn't make out whether it was a plane or helicopter but I presumed it was a plane because of the roar out of it, it didn't sound like a chopper to me, it sounded like engines.

I had a look at that flight radar but there doesn't seem to be anything on it circling South Dublin. I can still hear it in the distance however.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Weather balloon..you saw nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You're dreaming, go back to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AliBaba2010

It's usually garda helicopters waking me up :P
    If it was during the day I would suggest that its the planes practising for the summer airshows, but not at this time.
    Where I live we've been getting mini shows everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is it possibly a practice for the bray airshow on Sunday

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Is it possibly a practice for the bray airshow on Sunday

At two in the morning? :eek:

Garda helicopter, keeping you safe in your bed OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This must have come up 10 times on this forum in the past few years.

Occasionally, the Central Bank currency centre on Sandyford Road, beside Dundrum, receives deliveries of blank banknote paper for printing. As this cargo is very valuable, it is flown to Dublin and transferred from the Airport by armed secure convoy, usually at night when a rolling closure of the M50 takes place and the air is patrolled by a couple of Garda or Air Corps helicopters with night vision capability. It was probably them circling around or ahead of the road convoy that you heard.

Advertisement