Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC problems

Options
  • 17-07-2014 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭

Got a mini PC build a few weeks ago, but it seems to reach extreme heat when playing simple games such as Unturned and TF2 (50-60 degrees) and sometimes 98% CPU usage. Just wondering if this is normal with these builds?

Second thing is when I'm playing these games, it sometimes tabs out but still IG? It's hard to explain but every so often I've to click randomly to be able to play the game again/use the controls or keyboard. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

if it's your cpu at 50 to 60 degrees, then thats ok for air cooled. As for tabbing out mid game. Check keyboard settings in ease of access centre in your control panel. Make sure none of the boxes are ticked.
    But it could also be a program running in the background that also bring you back to windows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Skatedude wrote: »
    if it's your cpu at 50 to 60 degrees, then thats ok for air cooled. As for tabbing out mid game. Check keyboard settings in ease of access centre in your control panel. Make sure none of the boxes are ticked.
    But it could also be a program running in the background that also bring you back to windows

The fans seem to be running at insanely loud speeds as well, when it hits these temperatures. Would it be worth it to replace the fans? It's not really tabbing, but more un selecting a window. Like when you're on a window and it's a darker shade of blue, it suddenly goes a lighter shade of blue and I've to re-click the screen to be able to move around in the game etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hard to troubleshoot or say what's normal really when you haven't given spec's or model numbers of your PC...

Hard to troubleshoot or say what's normal really when you haven't given spec's or model numbers of your PC...

BitFenix colossus mATX case
    AMD FX-6300
    GTX 750ti
    GA-78LMT gigabyte mobo
    1tb seagate HDD
    Win7 64bit home premium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

CPU usage of near 100% for TF2 wouldn't be normal for a build of that spec. The 6300's a respectable six core processor and TF2 wouldn't be majorly CPU heavy. Temp's seem OK though. With a build like that, you should be able to run TF2 24/7 without any issues, temp or otherwise.

Which fans are running loud? Card or cpu? I doubt it's the card, but sometimes stock AMD fans are obscenely loud, some of them sound like an actual vaccum cleaner. Recently upgraded an Fx4100 machine to an Fx6300, and had to swap the 6300 stock cooler to the older 4100 stock cooler due to an obscene level of noise.

Possibly you should look at an affordable 3rd party cooler like the Evo 212.

Your setup in general seems sound.

• Advertisement

CPU usage of near 100% for TF2 wouldn't be normal for a build of that spec. The 6300's a respectable six core processor and TF2 wouldn't be majorly CPU heavy. Temp's seem OK though. With a build like that, you should be able to run TF2 24/7 without any issues, temp or otherwise.

Which fans are running loud? Card or cpu? I doubt it's the card, but sometimes stock AMD fans are obscenely loud, some of them sound like an actual vaccum cleaner. Recently upgraded an Fx4100 machine to an Fx6300, and had to swap the 6300 stock cooler to the older 4100 stock cooler due to an obscene level of noise.

Possibly you should look at an affordable 3rd party cooler like the Evo 212.

Your setup in general seems sound.

I'm not quite sure, I just go by a small windows 7 widget on the desktop. I've installed an extra corsair fan and it seems to have done the job in keeping the temp down. Only problem left is the weird tabbing sort of thing that happens occasionally..hard to explain it

Advertisement