Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking on street

Options
  • 17-07-2014 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi all....

OK - I'm in the process of moving in with my partner on a salt of the earth street in Dublin 1. We've been seeing each other for almost a year now and I'm becoming increasingly annoyed at the parking situtation on his street!!! Several of his neigjbours are using sets of traffic cones to deter people from parking in front of their houses. Some use them to reserve their spaces for family members, some just use them to stop people from parking there at all - THESE PEOPLE DON'T HAVE CARS!!! There's also a small bus on the street that has been out of tax and insurance for 2 years!!

I wouldn't dare open my mouth to one of these neighbours - I can imagine them making life extremely difficult!

Can anyone out there offer some advice? Perhaps these eejits could be reported to some sort of authority anonamously?! Yes - I am a chicken sh!t - but this is a pretty rugged part of the city just behing the IFSC...!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

If a car or anything doesn't have tax it shouldn't be on any road, parked or otherwise. You can report it to the relevant authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Something like this OP?

Hard to give advise about it really. I'd say you're best to get chatting to the old biddies to find out if its "anyone" they're trying to stop parking or just non-residents. Maybe when they find out you're now one of them, you'll be grand to park in these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

What is a salt of the earth street. My understanding is that it means hard working. But when I hear people using it they are generally chronically unemployed people talking about other chronically unemployed people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What is a salt of the earth street. My understanding is that it means hard working. But when I hear people using it they are generally chronically unemployed people talking about other chronically unemployed people.

I think he's using it as a euphemism for perhaps a bannable word.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

Ste- wrote: »
    If a car or anything doesn't have tax it shouldn't be on any road, parked or otherwise. You can report it to the relevant authorities.

Who are these relevant authorities?
    enda1 wrote: »
    Something like this[/URL] OP?

Exactly like this - but with a lot more sets of cones!

Hard to give advise about it really. I'd say you're best to get chatting to the old biddies to find out if its "anyone" they're trying to stop parking or just non-residents. Maybe when they find out you're now one of them, you'll be grand to park in these places.

The neighbours already think that I live there - I've been coming and going so much. The fact that they've made comments to me about where I park makes me think that they don't care who tries to park there - they are not going to allow it!

Relax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

justback83 wrote: »

Try emailing Dublin City Council reception (customerservices@dublincity.ie). They should be able to forward your email to the right department.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The neighbours already think that I live there - I've been coming and going so much. The fact that they've made comments to me about where I park makes me think that they don't care who tries to park there - they are not going to allow it!

Relax.

Okay Franky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Given the area and the people, your best option is just to ignore it. Not worth getting involved in anything, or potentially being fund out as being behind an 'anonymous' complaint. Life is too short.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If I was on that street. And all spots were taking and one had cones, I would move the cones and park there. They do not own the parking spot. It's a public road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Then you might return to find your car with a nice scratch down the side of it,or worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

kceire wrote: »
    If I was on that street. And all spots were taking and one had cones, I would move the cones and park there. They do not own the parking spot. It's a public road.

Move the cone and then knock on the door and politely tell them you live on the road and are parking there. That way, they know you know and they wont bother scratching the car. Hopefully!

Move the cone and then knock on the door and politely tell them you live on the road and are parking there. That way, they know you know and they wont bother scratching the car. Hopefully!

I've tried that - I think they sit inside the house watching that street all day...he was out like a flash!
    Given the area and the people, your best option is just to ignore it. Not worth getting involved in anything, or potentially being fund out as being behind an 'anonymous' complaint. Life is too short.

I hate to admit it but I think this is the only option

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've tried that - I think they sit inside the house watching that street all day...he was out like a flash!
    To say what?! If they have no car, they have no right to stop anyone else with a permit from parking there (if it's residential permit parking). We have the same on our street and although there are not quite enough spaces for us all, there is never anyone trying to hold a space in front of their house!

miamee wrote: »
    To say what?! If they have no car, they have no right to stop anyone else with a permit from parking there (if it's residential permit parking). We have the same on our street and although there are not quite enough spaces for us all, there is never anyone trying to hold a space in front of their house!

"My daughtes is on the way with a big van". It was a Mini.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Oh one of those people. "Sure I will just park it here til she gets here" :pac: Ah no, I know you don't want to pee off your new neighbours but where do they expect you to park? Do you have to pay for parking somewhere else then or what?

Advertisement