Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water main - Thomas Hynes road..

Options
  • 17-07-2014 8:53am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Over the past fortnight I've noticed the council have issued a few alerts over a burst water main.. Now it's two days in a row. Any idea why this is?. Bit annoying being at work and knowing washing won't be done when I get home etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

Bit annoyed that the water cut out as I was showering this morning. Not good for an electric shower. I think the frequent leaks/shut offs in the Newcastle area have contributed to this being our third shower unit in 7 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭-crisp-

It even made the RTE news this morning. I'm in Carbry road and last time it burst it was like a river flowing down the road. the cars had to slow right down because they were driving in an inch or two of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

They are digging a big hole along hazel park for the last few days. It must be the cause of the issue. Saw about 10 council lads looking into a hole while passing around 11 with about 10 vehicles parked in hazel park.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Got the council text to say it's repaired - won't have much in the way of water pressure for a while though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

It seems like over the last month the water has been out for nearly a week. They keep patching it and then is leaks 5 feet down the line. Repeat.

There have been far too many days without coffee at work recently. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

They are digging a big hole along hazel park for the last few days. It must be the cause of the issue. Saw about 10 council lads looking into a hole while passing around 11 with about 10 vehicles parked in hazel park.

There was no problem at all until they dug it, then the next morning water was off. They 'fixed' it, and then the morning after (today) it was gone again. Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I just went over my old work emails, that the 7th time in the past year that the main has blown along the Thomas Hynes Rd.

I'd say it's time to replace the damn pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Got the council text to say it's repaired - won't have much in the way of water pressure for a while though..

I spoke with someone from the council recently and was somewhat confused about this.
    Do they text you in advance if there is a planned outage? How much notice do you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

bobbyss wrote: »
    I spoke with someone from the council recently and was somewhat confused about this.
    Do they text you in advance if there is a planned outage? How much notice do you get?

http://www.water.galwaycity.ie/gccmapconnect/smssignup.htm

newkie wrote: »

Thanks, but that does not tell me if they text you in advance if there is a planned outage. Has anybody signed up and what exactly do you get?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thanks, but that does not tell me if they text you in advance if there is a planned outage. Has anybody signed up and what exactly do you get?

You do get advance warning of planned outages and the area it will be in.. Usually approx two days in advance.

Just got a text that said, and I quote "water main burst" I'll guess it's the same one but if I get an update I'll let ye know..

Just got complete text there - again the same road.. Will be fun to see how they cope with this when water charges kick in....

You do get advance warning of planned outages and the area it will be in.. Usually approx two days in advance.

Thank you.

I had just signed up and got same text 'water main burst' this morning.

First reaction: Which one? If it is my area that's good and great to be informed but I don't need to know about other areas. Now I'm thinking am I going to be getting texts from GCC every time there is a mains burst in areas that don't effect me? Same for advance warnings in other areas. Are there many of these? Will I be plagued? Can they fine tune the locations to give customers option to choose their locations in the city? Maybe I will unsubscribe if it gets too much and not worth the hassle.

Usually you might get a text a fortnight, however whatever Swiss cheese they have for a main on Hynes road has made updates more frequent..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

In a few months, burst water mains will be seen as a good thing as locals rush to get free water

It's burst again... Got my text about eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

The texts are really annoying at this stage. I tried to unsubscribe but the unsub function is not working. The leaks are so common that the texts are starting to feel like spam!

Does anyone know of another way to unsubscribe from them?

I'd say email for instance "dept" @galwaycoco check their site.. I'd say the poor fecker who has to send these is a bit blue in the face too!

I passed by the other day when they were working on it. I had at first thought 'Why can't you just fix the ruddy thing and replace all that old pipes as well and be done with it'. However from what I saw there were lots of off shoot piping and it looked more complex that one single pipe.

However I am not an expert by any means.
    So little the expert I don't even know whether it is possible to take a shower if there is a stoppage like that??????

At this stage the council should be telling us exactly what the problem and why there has been so many issues with T H Road. If they thinking the piping is old and so on why don't they start to replace it all in one big job?

(Can I use the shower?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

I passed by the other day when they were working on it. I had at first thought 'Why can't you just fix the ruddy thing and replace all that old pipes as well and be done with it'. However from what I saw there were lots of off shoot piping and it looked more complex that one single pipe.

However I am not an expert by any means.
    So little the expert I don't even know whether it is possible to take a shower if there is a stoppage like that??????

At this stage the council should be telling us exactly what the problem and why there has been so many issues with T H Road. If they thinking the piping is old and so on why don't they start to replace it all in one big job?

(Can I use the shower?)

I can tell you from experience this morning that you can't!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

antoobrien wrote: »
    I just went over my old work emails, that the 7th time in the past year that the main has blown along the Thomas Hynes Rd.

I'd say it's time to replace the damn pipe.

I've worked in the Galway Business Park for over 10 years. The pipe on Thomas Hynes goes multiple times every year.

That's madness. I'm only signed up to the text alerts from the council six or eight months at a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

No water this evening in Dangan. First time it's been affected here. Painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

No water again this morning in Upper Newcastle - it's beyond a joke at this stage....

Got a text this morning saying planned outage this morning. Unusual for them for such short notice.. That said, that particular pipeline seems to be self destructing the last three weeks in particular..

Sincerely hope they get on top of it soon, showering at work and at friend's houses is getting very old.

Got a text this morning saying planned outage this morning. Unusual for them for such short notice.. That said, that particular pipeline seems to be self destructing the last three weeks in particular..

Sincerely hope they get on top of it soon, showering at work and at friend's houses is getting very old.

This was was supposedly planned. Should be back now though.

Yes as stated, planned, hope they've managed to get it under control, no text to say reinstated yet.

Yes as stated, planned, hope they've managed to get it under control,

Given that previous "planned" outages were on the council website a day or two in advance, this sounds like it was planned at about 7am this morning.
    no text to say reinstated yet.

Got an email from the business park saying it was back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Burst again this morning..

Advertisement