Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Futureproof phone number

Options
  • 17-07-2014 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I've recently redesigned the logo of VanTasks and I'm thinking about rebranding everything now with the new logo. I'm currently using an 1890 number which is taking prominence over the International: +353-1-4..... in all mediums.

I've had threads on 1890 numbers before and the fact they aren't covered by inclusive minutes in plans and I'm just not sure if I should keep pushing the 1890 number, or get rid of it altogether and just have the +353 number. Or maybe replace the 1890, with an 1800 freephone. And then what about a mobile number?

I'm trying to decide if I should just leave it as is, or replace or remove any.

Irish Landline +35314 - definitely need to keep this for the international callers
    Pros - gives the business a grounded established feel
    Cons - not sure if Irish people know how to call the number easily if it was just on it's own.

1890 -
    pros - people think they are getting a cheap call and might be more inclined to ring it. already on all mediums (website, van, business cards - and people's saved numbers)
    cons - not included in monthly minutes and avoided by many. Monthly subscription and call costs.

1800 -
    pros - the "freephone" might encourage more calls and result in more sales - although probably not as again, so many people are on these plans with minutes and probably would have just called the +353 number free anyway. Probably gives the a bigger impression of the business.
    cons - rebranding, higher running costs than 1890

Mobile -
    Pros - Easily recognisable as to how to call the number. Would be handy for anyone wanting to viber/what's app a request too.
    Cons - rebranding, gives impression of smaller, less established business and may throw people off.

Ideally I'd like to just stick with the one number, it would have to be the international landline of course, I'm just not sure if this is enough.

I pretty much get an equal distribution of calls between the international and 1890 number as it is. Most of the calls to the +3531 are from Irish customers anyway, so even people residing within Ireland are still calling it.

I'm just not sure of the best move to future proof it if 1890's are getting a bad rep and these, along with even 1800 numbers, will fade out with advancing technology and the new EU legislations on a shared EU mobile/data network coming at the end of 2015!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

An 1800 number will cost you more to operate than other options

Personally I'd use the standard regional number ..

We advertise both ..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the reply, I see yours is 1850 but you have lo call beside it, 1850 is call save charged at a flat rate per call. I don't know why I decided on 1890 at the beginning over 1850. It may be cheaper for quicker calls, but callsave 1850 works out better for longer calls. Then 0818 can be called internationally which I didn't know, and is similar to 1890 in costs. Then of course there's 1800 which will cost me a good bit more per call, but might pay for itself if it encourages more calls?

Given that people may be trying to take my number down quickly (if they see it passing them by on the van for example) I want it to be clear what it is.

I'd definitely like to just stick to the regional number and forget the 1890, I'm just not sure if people would get confused with the +353 part of it, especially if calling from a phone like this: http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/820/686/332/332686820_662.jpg (Where's the +??) :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I'll go with 1800 and restrict calls from mobile phones, accepting only from landlines. Get a 1800 that makes appropriate sense to your business logo or name...
    Advertise ,in a smaller print, the 01.4 number, if someone wants to use it.
    Good luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think ease of remembering number is not so important anymore as a customers can just photo the number.

I would use the 01 number instead off the +353 as most people calling another country will know they have to change the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

You need a virtual local number - should be easy enough to get a memorable one, then either use voip or have calls transferred to your landline/mobile.

Check goldfish.ie or blueface.ie

don't use +353 in the big print, but underneath much smaller you can put "Intl +353 1 5678901"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I do have the local 01 number, which is the international one I use and it is actually through freespeech.ie, so is virtual and both the 1890 and 01 number are currently routed to my mobile.

This is interesting, I asked the 1890 provider to compare my last year of bills to what it would be if it was 1800.

1890 Call Charges 1800 Equivelant Cost
    Aug-13 €66.49 €166.23
    Sep-13 €53.89 €134.73
    Oct-13 €36.84 €92.10
    Nov-13 €28.63 €71.58
    Dec-13 €31.07 €77.68
    Jan-14 €29.97 €74.93
    Feb-14 €45.30 €113.25
    Mar-14 €38.13 €95.33
    Apr-14 €42.06 €105.15
    May-14 €34.85 €87.13
    Jun-14 €40.26 €100.65
    Jul-14 €47.22 €118.05

€494.71 €1,236.78

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I use a preferred number I got from eircom, which cost me €20-25 one off fee and then the number is mine to use. Regular irish landline number 018505+++ , which I actually now use as a virtual number, dialling through to the office mobile. IMO, there is nothing attractive about an 1890 number and there is nothing difficult about a regular irish landline, or mobile. Anyone not intelligent enough to know how to dial a number is someone I would not want calling my business.

My costs for having both the landline and mobile is €35 ex vat per month. Comes with unlimited irish landline and mobile calls and texts, plus 2.5GB data.

Advertisement