Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney signs new €360,000 per year deal through 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I'm sure there was a thorough and impartial assessment of his performance in the job and it was decided his results warranted this pay package. That's how we do things in Ireland, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Lovely Bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

"iv been offered salaries above what I'm paid. i haven't them because i love what I'm doing"

translation: i know iv got it good where i am and i ain't going no where where i will have to do a job that someone will make me accountable for my performance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd love to know whos offered him more than 360k a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

“You go back to 1996, the turnover of the FAI was about €7m, last year it was €36m, next year it will be close to €40m. We have really driven the association forward as a business. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/john-delaney-signs-new-18million-deal-with-fai-30438869.html#sthash.JErdl1hm.dpuf
    Seems fair enough of a salary if he's generating all this revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Is there actually any mechanism to protest or block decisions like this in the FAI?

Who are the stakeholders that might prevent this level of remuneration?

There are loads of volunteers putting in incredible hours for free coaching and administration at every level of football in the country, from schoolboy coaches to the directors of LOI football clubs - how can they not have a voice in the FAI?

He must have a lot of dirt on a lot of people to get these deals!

Not sure if it's been posted already, but good article on FAI finances here: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/fai-turnover-falls-for-second-year-1.1859130

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

There's a very funny Gift Grub sketch where Delaney lists all the jobs he was offered - can't look for it now but worth searching for. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Sacksian wrote: »
    Is there actually any mechanism to protest or block decisions like this in the FAI?

There are loads of volunteers putting in incredible hours for free coaching and administration at every level of football in the country, from schoolboy coaches to the directors of LOI football clubs - how can they not have a voice in the FAI?

Not sure if it's been posted already, but good article on FAI finances here: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/fai-turnover-falls-for-second-year-1.1859130

Petrol, Lighter and a Christmas Tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

lol, he fills the top positions with people who will do his bidding, any sign of not doing so and you'd be out on your ear.

The FAI is not and never has been a democracy, it's more like a more extreme North Korea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Is there actually any mechanism to protest or block decisions like this in the FAI?]

It's a fiefdom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

The FAI are Loosing money everywhere,

He gets a pay rise.

The Lower employees are being forced to take pay cuts. Not hard to see where they get the money to pay him.

Petrol, Lighter and a Christmas Tree

Ha! I realise that but it's pretty depressing that the only thing you can do when seeing stuff like this is to vent about John Delaney. I guess it comes down to the lack of bargaining power the LOI has with the FAI, so everything just comes down to another "how to save the league" discussion.

lol, he fills the top positions with people who will do his bidding, any sign of not doing so and you'd be out on your ear.

The FAI is not and never has been a democracy, it's more like a more extreme North Korea.

Yeah, I used to have a team in the (then) Leinster Junior League and watching the top table at the monthly meetings was something like that.

But I know from dealing with other clubs in athletics (and the LOI) is that the only reason these guys are making decisions is because they're the only ones turning up to meetings and volunteering to do the administration - or maybe they're the only ones who can put up with all the rules/regulations/standing orders/constitutions/etc of amateur sports. Even for the blazers, there's a hell of a lot of hours put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

He's not generating any of that revenue. He's a clueless buffoon. The government should suspend all grant's etc. to the FAI as if they can afford to waste millions on an idiot CEO then they clearly don't need taxpayers money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The National team is at an all time low.
    Interest in the national team is at an all time low
    The National league is stagnant in terms of interest.
    The National League's UEFA Co-Efficient has been plummeting (Although will go up this year)
    The Junior Football Associations are constantly rowing with each other and some will not even acknowledge each other.
    The National Stadium is already outdated and will need a new one as soon as its paid off.

Great job JD. Here is to 6 more years. Horaaah!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

In fairness, he did manage to negotiate a deal with the IRFU where the FAI will help pay for the Aviva development yet won't actually retain long term ownership, absolute genius!!!

So what's the plan to help improve our domestic league John?
    So what's the plan to stop our National sides world ranking from dropping further?

Ignore the domestic league and pray English teams develop enough of our players to a high enough standard. Absolute genius!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

That's like signing a death warrant for Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

€1000 a day for the next 6 years.
    “It’s a great job to have, I love the job, no question about that. But it is a 24/7 job, weekends as well.”

I like the "weekends as well" bit like no one else has to work weekends!

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Ireland, Bill.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Bought me a pint on a away trip before. I like him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Meanwhile this year LOI champs can look forward to 100K prize money, that btw is for the whole Club whilst the fund for the whole league is €241,500.
    Now this muppet is gonna get 360K a year, makes my blood boil. Source http://www.thescore.ie/airtricity-league-prize-fund-2014-1338155-Feb2014/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

He's not generating any of that revenue. He's a clueless buffoon. The government should suspend all grant's etc. to the FAI as if they can afford to waste millions on an idiot CEO then they clearly don't need taxpayers money.
    These commercial deals that the FAI have been doing don't happen by themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Meanwhile this year LOI champs can look forward to 100K prize money

You can deduct a fifth of that for the money they have to pay for "league affiliation".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Can't knock his hustle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

In fairness the price of slabs of beer on European trains is quite high, seems fair enough to me. Also remember the picture of him in Poland the day Monaghan United went out of business. He took it really hard judging by his expression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd love to know whos offered him more than 360k a year.

PSG perhaps ?
    The Mig wrote: »
    Bought me a pint on a away trip before. I like him!

You poor mug.
    He didn't buy you a pint, the FAI did i.e. all the football fans/parents who ever spend a cent either at Ireland games or on any Irish team merchandising.

Do you think he wouldn't expense every single cent he spent while "working hard for Ireland" on those away trips.

I could see delaney going far in UEFA, FIFA, etc.

He has all the credentials necessary and after all didn't he do a fine job of ar**licking blatter and platini even though they were insulting us.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No wonder football in this country is f**ked. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RIP to football in this country.

We deserve all the bad luck we get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I would say £50 million in debt would trump any revenue.

Absolute joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Can't knock his hustle.

This basically. Delaney is obviously a master of organisational politics and manipulation. There's little point complaining about things that you don't have the power to influence or change tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

He's just a smaller version of Blatter..... surrounds himself by turkeys............who will never vote for Christmas............ When compared to other chief Exec of national Football assoc..............it really is a joke.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I like the "weekends as well" bit like no one else has to work weekends!

lol

10561576_888709007809708_4250261686491071427_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rooney earns that in around 8 days. Seems a fare salary for a guy who's responsible for football throughout the entire country.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I don't like jumping on the 'FAI are a useless shower' bandwagon but when you compare his salary to overall fund for the LOI its ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Can't believe the Sports Council have no clout when it comes to Delaney's dosh. IMHO 160K would be too much for him:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Couldn't have been a worse outcome for the local and national game.

Rooney earns that in around 8 days. Seems a fare salary for a guy who's responsible for football throughout the entire country.

Compare it to other CEO's and no it's not fair......at all.

Also the word 'responsible' there should be used very loosely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Disgraceful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

A Grand a day !!
    Nice gig !!

• Advertisement

iDave wrote: »
    I don't like jumping on the 'FAI are a useless shower' bandwagon but when you compare his salary to overall fund for the LOI its ridiculous.

Unfortunately, from a strictly utalitarian perspective the league doesn't need to be improved. It exists, and that's all it needs to do at a bare minimum.

- we get to have an International team which is where the real cheddar is;
    - the youth clubs collate players and they get farmed out to the English club system which prepares enough of a player base to support the International panel;

Obviously, a stronger LOI would have huge benefits and it would be great to retain greater control of Irish player development but, strictly speaking, it isn't essential. Delaney and the FAI make more sense in that context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

It's typical FAI.

This guy weaseled his way into the job by bringing down Bernard O'Byrne for misusing funds and here he is doing the same thing.

Remember this sh1t?;

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/seeds-were-sown-on-battle-ground-to-provide-new-home-for-irish-soccer-26329991.html

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Unfortunately, from a strictly utalitarian perspective the league doesn't need to be improved. It exists, and that's all it needs to do at a bare minimum.

- we get to have an International team which is where the real cheddar is;
    - the youth clubs collate players and they get farmed out to the English club system which prepares enough of a player base to support the International panel;

Obviously, a stronger LOI would have huge benefits and it would be great to retain greater control of Irish player development but, strictly speaking, it isn't essential. Delaney and the FAI make more sense in that context.

They don't make sense at all. I'd gladly have a really crap International team if it made the system change in this country, I'd gladly see a few of the youth teams in this country fall back to reality as well. The F.A.I have allowed such a ridiculous system to go on and even get bigger.

Corholio wrote: »
    They don't make sense at all. I'd gladly have a really crap International team if it made the system change in this country, I'd gladly see a few of the youth teams in this country fall back to reality as well. The F.A.I have allowed such a ridiculous system to go on and even get bigger.

Meh, they're making the money they need to make this way. What YOU (or like minded people) want is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Oh look, Lloyd is here to shine the light of reason on all of us poor souls. Here we all were thinking that we could topple the despot of Irish football and rid the FAI of corruption by expressing exasperation on an internet forum. Lucky for us he's shown us the error of our ways.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Oh look, Lloyd is here to shine the light of reason on all of us poor souls. Here we all were thinking that we could topple the despot of Irish football and rid the FAI of corruption by expressing exasperation on an internet forum. Lucky for us he's shown us the error of our ways.

I think there's place on this thread to note the reality of the situation amongst all of the 'death warrant for Irish football / the FAI don't care about the LOI don't you know' hand wringing. It also allowed you to write a condescending post too, and I know you dig that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

This basically. Delaney is obviously a master of organisational politics and manipulation. There's little point complaining about things that you don't have the power to influence or change tbh.
    I don't agree with this whatsoever. That is a horrible attitude to take imo. The average Irish football fan may have little to no power to influence or change things, but in no way does that mean that they should not voice their disatisfaction with Delaney and the FAI's running of the game in Ireland. The people should always let the powers that be aware of any disatisfaction, otherwise how would anyone know that there was any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't understand why he is on a term contract, rather than the usual employee contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think there's place on this thread to note the reality of the situation amongst all of the 'death warrant for Irish football / the FAI don't care about the LOI don't you know' hand wringing. It also allowed you to write a condescending post too, and I know you dig that. :)

You are acting like everybody complaining about Delaney doesn't know that the FAI are only interested in the LOI's survival in so far as they need to fulfil their FIFA requirements for fielding an international team; or that they don't know that he is impossible to get rid of; or that they don't know that youth development is set up arseways, because the FAI don't care to fix it. Everybody knows these things.

Downplaying everybody's concerns and exasperation with those things and with the despotic and dysfunctional governing body as "hand wringing" and saying what they want is irrelevant is not "noting reality", it's being a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I'd say pay him more, more to leave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement