Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre-season trips/training abroad

• 17-07-2014 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭

I just saw a BBC article about Burnley in their pre-season camp in Austria. I remember that Limerick FC went to Spain last year (Basque I think) for some training and friendlies.

Is there any real benefits to this, as opposed to staying at home and doing the training at home? Is it cheaper? Better facilities? Better friendlies?

Note: this is different from teams going on tours to drum up/reward support, like some tours of Asia.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

osarusan wrote: »
    I just saw a BBC article about Burnley in their pre-season camp in Austria. I remember that Limerick FC went to Spain last year (Basque I think) for some training and friendlies.

Is there any real benefits to this, as opposed to staying at home and doing the training at home? Is it cheaper? Better facilities? Better friendlies?

Note: this is different from teams going on tours to drum up/reward support, like some tours of Asia.

Of course there's a benefit to it

eg Everton are in Austria at the moment with their senior squad.
    The U21s and U18s were there the previous two weeks for preseason.

All the players are together for an extended period of time - no distractions. More training sessions can be done each day, both physical, technical and more time can be scheduled for recovery. Multiple testing can be done through the preseason.
    A targetted diet can be followed for the trip away, as some players will naturally come back a bit chunky and others will have lost weight.
    Plus a few social activities can be organised to help squad moral and bed in new signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Players together for longer. Team management can control what is done and these trips used for team bonding for morale
    Its a different environment to the normal training ground players use day in day out which helps with state of mind especially in pre season where training is at its toughest

Advertisement