Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Travel Tips for New Zealand??

Options
  • 17-07-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm heading back to the Motherland in November but I want to have a stop off in New Zealand before I do.

My limit is a week, for various reasons, so I want to get the best sights in if possible. However, its quality, not quantity for me. I love sight seeing, driving, cultural attractions etc...

Various things/places have been recommended to me by a couple of people but if you have any ideas, please throw them at me!

Ps, I'm thinking about flying home from NZ to Ireland, but theres the issue of a large suitcase, a guitar and a carry on bag that pushes the boundary of a 'carry on bag'..

Any suggestions as to how a single person could manage such a feat?? I rather not have to fly back to Australia, simply for luggage!

Cheers all.

L.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

With that short time frame, I'd probley go to Queenstown in the South Island. Amazing place and loads to do. You could do Wanaka, Milford and Doubtful Sounds and possibly squeeze in a day trip to Franz Joseph Glazier from there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I've spent a week and a half in both the north and south island and I also think Queenstown is possibly your best bet with that short of a timeframe. Statina has mentioned some good places already. There's a NZ forum too if you wanted to ask the question there http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=916

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

statina wrote: »
    With that short time frame, I'd probley go to Queenstown in the South Island. Amazing place and loads to do. You could do Wanaka, Milford and Doubtful Sounds and possibly squeeze in a day trip to Franz Joseph Glazier from there

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I spent 30 days in NZ and tbh I could have spent 30 more. It's beautiful.

South island tops North for me though North has more culture although touristy. As mentioned for your short time frame I recommend Queenstown as a base and do trips from there. The town is packed with tour companies. You can do adrenaline stuff like canyon swings, water rafting, speed boating here and they have the "luge" . Google it, great fun.

Milford sound is beautiful and so is the windy drive to it, I also enjoyed drive through Arthur's pass and stopping in random alpine areas like Castle Hill. I didnt get on the franz glacier due to fog but everyone says it's amazing.

Lake Tekapo and the Mount Cook region south of Christchurch also has tonnes of Natural beauty.

When your on your own your best bet is probably a bus tour company like Stray or Kiwi Experience, you'll make plenty of friends too. Although theres plenty of like minded backpackers that may wana go in on sharing a camper (thats how we got around). Camper was $40 a day and a DOC (department of conservation) campsitesis $6 a night. Petrol is another expensive but you can fill the fridge with Lamb, beef and beer and save on restaurants, way cheaper if split between 2-3 people. I'd recommend happy campers or spaceship for this.

I've been making a video blog of our travels so here's a piece of New Zealand.

http://vimeo.com/99397610

As for your luggage, I posted a box of stuff home before I left, about 15kgs of stuff, football boots, winter jackets etc.... Via air twas $300 but I shipped by sea for $110 as I am currently still on my way home via Asia. The box arrived 2 days ago, took 2 months and 3 days, im home in 11.

Saying that most major airlines allow a 30kg allowance but the likes of Ryanair, AirAsia and Jetstar will have incremental prices for weights. I've never traveled with a guitar, cant help you there.

Your dead right to see NZ while your over there, so many don't. if there's any advice I could give it would be to extend your time there but I understand that may be impossible. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

Thanks so much everyone, I'm blown over by the calibre of the advice. Its all greatly appreciated! Time to start looking into it now and booking very soon I hope!

If anything else springs to mind, please do let me know.

Ye're all ledges so ye are! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement