Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binding Machines

Options
  • 17-07-2014 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Any one use thermal binding machines or impress binding machines.

Whats your taughts on them. At the moment we produce reports and put them into a folder for clients but it doesn't look great. So we are looking at binding machines as they will look better We have it limited to either the thermal binding machine or the impress ones like the impress 280 and I would appreciate any feedback if anyone use either.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Used both over the years. Dont like the thermal ones because the pages have the habit of coming apart afterwards if the heating process is not done properly.

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Hi,
    At some point I've sold, used, repaired many types of binders and binding machines.
    For background info I'll list some with pros and cons
    Starting with cheapest

Staples 1:
    Improvements - add covers (linnen/leatherboard back acetate/pvc front, three staples down the edge and cover with slide binder
    Looks good easy to do - won't fold flat

Staples 2: print on A3 with A3 covers, centre staple and fold
    Opens flat but unless you creased the cover it might not stay shut.

Plastic Combs:
    With covers looks good and pages can even be added or removed.
    Machines used to be expensive 400+ but I have seen as low as €30
    Opens flat.
    Combs come in a variety of colours, but you need a selection of sizes
    5 sheets of paper in a 10mm comb look lost, 20 sheets of paper won't fit in a 6mm comb

Spiral wire and wire-o
    With covers looks good and will open till covers touch
    machines are dearer than for plastic combs.
    again you need different wire sizes for different amounts of pages
    covers available that hide the wire and give a printed spine.

Thermal/glue 1:
    Buy covers with glue already down the spine.
    The "cheap" machines are a bit hit and miss.
    Need a selection of cover sizes, available with clear front covers
    won't fold flat and as dbran says with careless assembly/usage pages can fall out.
    Good quality binders can be expensive.

Thermal glue 2:
    Machine clamps pages and applies a glue edge often with option to apply a cover including hard back
    Most expensive machines but cheapest to run

Which you choose really depends on how many you will be producing and where/how they will be used and what your competition are using.

Advertisement