Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wirehaired Dachshund Dogs

• 17-07-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi everyone,

I have a Wirehaired Dachshund Dogs girl standard size, 5years age. I'm looking for a boy of the same breed but when I asked to the veterinary in Clonsilla she said that it's so hard to find one of this breed.
    Do you know any owner of this dog, please? I found in Kilcullen a male dog (his name is scooter) but I lost the contact number of the owner... :-(
    Anyone can help me, please?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Have you contacted the breed club through the IKC yet?

Irish Dachshund Club
    Ms. Inez Pattison
    11 Beneavin Drive, Dublin 11
    Phone: 087-1926330
    E-Mail: inez.pattison@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Maximilian Cope

Thanks Andrea, I didn't know this club.

I will contact them in a few.

Just a curiosity, the name of my dog is Andrea! :-)

Awh really? Thats nice.

You could always pop out to one of the Dog shows in Swords and have a chat with some of the exhibitors there and enquire about puppies. Theres a show on there on Sunday 3rd August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

andreac wrote: »
    Irish Dachshund Club
    Ms. Inez Pattison
    11 Beneavin Drive, Dublin 11
    Phone: 087-1926330
    E-Mail: inez.pattison@gmail.com

Have been in touch with Inez and she is very helpful so would definitely recommend getting in touch with her.
    Awh really? Thats nice.

You could always pop out to one of the Dog shows in Swords and have a chat with some of the exhibitors there and enquire about puppies. Theres a show on there on Sunday 3rd August.

I was at the dog show in March in Swords and met 3 different dachshund breeders there and they were all very helpful. I didn't see any wire haired dachshunds but you might be in luck this time out.

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks to all for this informations. I hope to find very quickly an husband for my little dog. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Ok, thanks to all for this informations. I hope to find very quickly an husband for my little dog. :-)

Are you looking to buy a male to breed with her or a companion?

If you are looking for a male with the hope to breed then please don't. As shes now 5 and hasnt had a litter yet, then she will be too old next year to do so.

If you are looking for a male with the hope to breed then please don't. As shes now 5 and hasnt had a litter yet, then she will be too old next year to do so.

Are you sure? My veterinary says that this is the last chance, but that's possible. Probably it's better if I ask to a dog breeder, is it right?

Knine wrote: »
    Are you looking to buy a male to breed with her or a companion?

I'm looking for a male to breed with her. I asked to my veterinary but they don't know any owner of wire coat dachshund. It's not a common dog in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Are you sure? My veterinary says that this is the last chance, but that's possible. Probably it's better if I ask to a dog breeder, is it right?

Andrea is a dog breeder. Have you spoken with the breeder that you got your dog from? They are usually the best person to speak to, and should offer you help and support through the whole breeding process.

There are a few genetic health issues with dachshunds, have you had the checks done to ensure your girl is healthy enough to breed from? These checks wouldn't just be the usual vet check, but, special examinations, this link will outline the health issues in the breed - http://www.uk-dachshund-health-report.org.uk/

There's also a good section on whether to breed or not in that link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If you buy in a dog puppy, by the time he is ready to breed your bitch will be at least 6 years of age & too old to have a first litter.

Also responsible breeders tend to pick a dog that complements their bitch, not the most convenient.

Personally myself I prefer to use older dogs for stud that are proven & who have not developed any health issues.

Advertisement