Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 99 in town

Options
  • 17-07-2014 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

With this weather I am a bit partial to a '99 ice cream....

So, where do ye think is the best shop to get one - taste and good value are the two importants....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Place on the Dunmore road I can remember, shop run by Jewish people or is it Amish?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

dazftw wrote: »
    Place on the Dunmore road I can remember, shop run by Jewish people or is it Amish?

I know it. Run by Amish. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm surprised at that, I got ice cream there before and they were the most miserable 99's I've ever gotten so much so that we went straight to Hogan's (when it was open) and got very large 99's for a lot less money.

Londis on the Dunmore Road are very popular for 99's.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Dunphys on the Cork Road. €1.30 well spent every day!

When I go all out and hit an Tra Mhor up, the Donut Bar have it to a tee even if they charge 2 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

Best 99's for me is daybreak in tramore.
    The shop across road from ritz pub in Newtown.
    The shop run by the Amish are very dear for what you get
    And they charge 30cent for sprinkled etc.
    They may live in the past but they sure know
    How to charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Texaco on Military Road. Huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Just got one in Daybreak Tramore. Lovely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

Jay bees shop the Amish are very expensive best value that way for sure is The Londis and in Tramore Daybreak in Newtown can't be beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

What is Supermac's like, I have a free voucher for one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

jonathan seems to have given the nod for the londis on the dunmore road as the best around.

if its good enough for a seagull,its good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Where's the Amish shop?

I worked on the dunmore road for years and can't picture it

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

lassykk wrote: »
    Where's the Amish shop?

I worked on the dunmore road for years and can't picture it

Jaybees

IanVW wrote: »
    Jaybees

Cheers but that doesn't help me as I've never heard of that either... What's near it?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

the turn off for woodstown on the main dunmore road...its the shop on the other side of the road.

the turn off for woodstown on the main dunmore road...its the shop on the other side of the road.

Ah that explains it... Thought it was in near Oscar's or the Uluru and that I'd missed it somehow!

TThanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Agree 100%, none like that in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yeah, the Amish ice cream is the nicest in the town and surrounding area by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is there anywhere in the city centre doing them anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

Sorry to be a downer, but they all taste more or less the same to me (delicious, that is). I'm sure there aren't that many suppliers here, so most places would be getting the same machines, ice cream, what-have-you, wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Sorry to be a downer, but they all taste more or less the same to me (delicious, that is). I'm sure there aren't that many suppliers here, so most places would be getting the same machines, ice cream, what-have-you, wouldn't they?

I used to work in a place that sold 99s. The ice-cream mix came in one litre cartons that the owner bought at the cash and carry. We just poured it in a tank and the machine did the rest. As far as I remember, there were only a couple of brands. This was 2000/01 though, so it might have changed since then.

Edit: Just remembered the brand name - it was Angelito: http://kerrymaid.co.uk/index.php/product-range/ice-cream/kerrymaid-angelito-ice-cream-mix

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

By the same logic, there would be no such thing as a good pint because all pubs get their kegs from the same source.

I would guess that the shops with the better cones clean and service their machines more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    By the same logic, there would be no such thing as a good pint because all pubs get their kegs from the same source.

I would guess that the shops with the better cones clean and service their machines more often.

Guess or hope? :-p

Not in Waterford but there's a petrol station / shop out in Kilmacow that has the best 99's I have ever tasted. The machine is older than most and it seems to get the ice cream that bit colder or something.

I only know it as Mick O'Neill's but it probably has an actual name like Mace or something but I'm not sure.

Ballyv24 wrote: »

Clean their machines? That's hilarious :pac:

Worked in a shop for 7 years and for the first 2 years the machine wasn't cleaned once. The new owners though were a bit more hygiene friendly!

Advertisement