Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biased Mod - Moderating Discussion in his Favor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

No mod is perfect at what they do he is only human same as you or I.

Just like you favor xbox he favors PlayStation.

In saying that he should step back and allow another mod to take over as he really shouldn't be modding since he is so involved in the discussion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

dunworth1 wrote: »
    No mod is perfect at what they do he is only human same as you or I.

Just like you favor xbox he favors PlayStation.

100% agree with you
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    In saying that he should step back and allow another mod to take over as he really shouldn't be modding since he is so involved in the discussion

And this is basically my point, it is becoming more and more obvious the bias being shown and that simply isn't right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

miju wrote: »
    Mod of Games forum is consistently infracting / banning people posting in this thread

That's because that thread is a cesspit of 'fanboy' tripe. Personally speaking, I think the mods have been beyond fair in that thread, & if it were me modding it, it'd be a lot more heavy handed. Any modding action I've seen on it has been fair, accountable, & again, lenient. The sheer amount of on-thread warnings (to try avert individual action) that have been issued makes it hard to believe anyone thinks there's an abuse of mod position here.
    While that's no issue in itself the fact that he is involved in the discussion, has a clear biase (given he owns a Playstation) he has consistantly let users who are "Pro" away with trolls and abuse of xbox users.

The mod in question here, is one of the most level headed, fair, and mature I've worked with. There is no bias here, & in fact you as an ex-mod, should understand how difficult it must be to keep a thread like that in one piece.
    Latest of which was this post which went unmodded (despite the fact I had recieved similiar infractions for posting the same type of content) with the follow up[/b] post instead being infracted as well as the others who are Pro xbox

Did you report the post? Most mods don't read every single post of every single thread, of every single forum they mod. They rely on user reports a lot of the time, again, as you would know. It's very unfair to go shouting 'bias', in a case where a mod has a) not seen the post yet, or b) has actioned the post but not in a way that's visible to you.
    It's been an ongoing issue since the beginning of that thread but it is getting more apparent and quite frankly needs to be addressed.

As a Games Cmod, I have total faith in the two guys modding that forum. Any action taken, has not been without several on thread warnings, & individual user warnings. There is always a clear record of events in the case of infractions or bans, & the thread is handled in a manner that is more than fair. Again, if it were me, the carry on in that thread would have been met with far more infractions/bans...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The post which wasn't actioned isn't necessarily trolling. It could genuinely be that poster's opinion, as much as most of us would disagree with it.

The two posts which were most recently actioned:
    awhhh, was your special day ruined lol, you have switched from offensive mode yesterday to defensive mode today lol. Don't cry.
    May I nominate this post for worst attempt at a troll in this thread thus far or most delusional :P:P:P:P:P

Anyone to second ?????

Those posts are making the discussion personal. They're comments on the poster, not the post.

They're not the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Latest of which was this post which went unmodded (despite the fact I had recieved similiar infractions for posting the same type of content) with the follow up post instead being infracted as well as the others who are Pro xbox
    Did you report the post, or just respond accusing the poster of being a troll?

One of those is the correct thing to do, the other is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Penn wrote: »
    The post which wasn't actioned isn't necessarily trolling. It could genuinely be that poster's opinion, as much as most of us would disagree with it.

Those posts are making the discussion personal. They're comments on the poster, not the post.

They're not the same.

Bull (to the original post, rest makes sense) if this was soccer it would be flamebait and goes against the warning thats actually on thread (below from Retro). I am not sure why it wasnt actioned.

"
    Right I've been talking to the other mods about this thread since it's become an absolute mess. To get it back on track there's going to be some new rules in place.
    From this point on any deliberate fanboyism gets an automatic warning.

Trolling for a reaction will get you an automatic warning as well or worse depending on how severe it is.

If the discussion gets too far off topic the mods will advise you to get back on topic (for example the whole PS Plus being free non-argument), that means no continuing the conversation after that post and definitely no attempts to get the last word in. Move on or get a warning.

So from now on please be civil and try and get the thread back on track. "

I don't disagree in general, just that that post and the two which were actioned are very different things imo, and shouldn't be compared directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

awhhh, was your special day ruined lol, you have switched from offensive mode yesterday to defensive mode today lol. Don't cry.

Anyone to second ?????

They're not the same.

Using snippets of my post out of context changes the nature of the post. I replied to the poster in the usual humorous manner.
    Microsoft doubled their sales of Xbox One in June. Fair play :)

I'd say that sushi will be consumed aggressively :D

I think that it's fairly ridiculous that my post is considered "aggressive" in my warning when the very nature of that thread is comical.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I am not sure why it wasnt actioned

Did you report it?
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Did you report the post?
    Dades wrote: »
    Did you report the post

Did you report it?

I did yes, or i have done since i saw it. Think i did it around 40 mins ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't see bias within the moderation, just a tough job trying to apply the rules.

If I'm honest, I'm wondering what the point of the thread is if a certain amount of cross-platform goading isn't going to be permitted. I do understand the mods not wanting to let the thread disintegrate into fanboyism because the reality is when given leeway, some people just can't stop themselves from crossing the line.

To that end, I'd see closing the thread (safe) or loosening the rules (risky) as two options that should at least be considered.

I did yes, or i have done since i saw it. Think i did it around 40 mins ago.

Well in that case, most times 40 mins isn't enough time for a mod to look at a post in context & action it. They may be afk. Secondly, the post itself could possibly be the users actual opinion & not there to bait people into an argument...most wouldn't agree with it, but sometimes people have opinions that are genuine, despite being troll-like. Thirdly, just because you don't see any action taken, doesn't mean there hasn't been.

Using snippets of my post out of context changes the nature of the post. I replied to the poster in the usual humorous manner.

I think that it's fairly ridiculous that my post is considered "aggressive" in my warning when the very nature of that thread is comical.

What's "humorous" to you may not be to others. I'm obviously not speaking to your intentions, but even within the context of the rest of your post, I felt that line came across as being needlessly condescending and derisive.

I don't see bias within the moderation, just a tough job trying to apply the rules.

If I'm honest, I'm wondering what the point of the thread is if a certain amount of cross-platform goading isn't going to be permitted. I've no issue with the mods not wanting to let the thread disintegrate into fanboyism because the reality is when given leeway, some people just can't stop themselves from crossing the line.

To that end, I'd see closing the thread (safe) or loosening the rules (risky) as two options that should at least be considered.

I don't see bias here either, i am nearly sure Myrridin purchased both consoles at one point. That is not the sign that a mod is biased in anyway, the posters that go infracted reacted badly to a troll post.

However I would close the thread because if we get to a stage where we can't distinguish between flamebait and not its in trouble. If we had the same standards in a thread like this as we do soccer because its nearly the same kind of thing as a football club the post that caused the backlash would have been infracted also.

Well in that case, most times 40 mins isn't enough time for a mod to look at a post in context & action it. They may be afk. Secondly, the post itself could possibly be the users actual opinion & not there to bait people into an argument...most wouldn't agree with it, but sometimes people have opinions that are genuine, despite being troll-like. Thirdly, just because you don't see any action taken, doesn't mean there hasn't been.

I was responding to the warning on thread which doesnt seem to be enforced and would seem to fall under the definition described by retro in that post.

The mods were fast enough to apply warnings to the two that responded but i take your point.

I don't get your third point, the warning on thread doesnt seem to have been enforced and from anyone looking at this it looks like deliberate fanboyism. Unless of course you know Nix well enough that this is a valid opinion expressed which leads us back to the bias but its more on a poster level and not console.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

What's "humorous" to you may not be to others. I'm obviously not speaking to your intentions, but even within the context of the rest of your post, I felt that line came across as being needlessly condescending and derisive.

In the context of the thread and also the recipient I was replying to along with the use of smilies, lol's and the persons history on said thread I think its very obvious I was joking.

Next time I can fire a signal flare to alert people that my post is intended to be humorous.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,114 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mod of Games forum is consistently infracting / banning people posting in this thread

While that's no issue in itself the fact that he is involved in the discussion, has a clear biase (given he owns a Playstation) he has consistantly let users who are "Pro" away with trolls and abuse of xbox users.

Latest of which was this post which went unmodded (despite the fact I had recieved similiar infractions for posting the same type of content) with the follow up post instead being infracted as well as the others who are Pro xbox

It's been an ongoing issue since the beginning of that thread but it is getting more apparent and quite frankly needs to be addressed.
    you're either mis-remembering what happened or are not being genuine in your representation of the issue. Ignoring on-thread mod instructions, calling other users delusional and accusing them of trolling, flamebaiting other users and accusing them of being ignorant, or implying they are retarded, are not at all in the same category as making a post arguing that a poster has no personal interest in ever purchasing a particular platform.

Also from personal experience, people always just look like they're acting like a big twat by spamming smiley faces in strings like :D:D:D:D:D :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P so in case you didn't know, one will suffice. I strongly suggest you quit taking the subject so personally, as clearly it gets you deeply offended that people don't like the Xbox console.

If there is bias here, it is not from the mod..

Overheal wrote: »
    you're either mis-remembering what happened or are not being genuine in your representation of the issue. Ignoring on-thread mod instructions, calling other users delusional and accusing them of trolling, flamebaiting other users and accusing them of being ignorant, or implying they are retarded, are not at all in the same category as making a post arguing that a poster has no personal interest in ever touching a competing product.

Also from personal experience, people always just look like they're acting like a big twat by spamming smiley faces in strings like :D:D:D:D:D :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P so in case you didn't know, one will suffice. I strongly suggest you quit taking the subject so personally, as clearly it gets you deeply offended that people don't like the Xbox console.

If there is bias here, it is not from the mod..

Delete that post directed at me? Too much of your bias showing ?

Also there may not be bias but looks like inaction in a fairly flame filled area.

In the context of the thread and also the recipient I was replying to along with the use of smilies, lol's and the persons history on said thread I think its very obvious I was joking.

Yes, but purely hypothetically speaking, if I replied to one of your posts with ":pac: lol you're a f*cking bellend mate :P lmao", how is the mod supposed to know if I'm serious or if I'm just joking with you? How is the mod to know if I'm insulting you or if we're best friends in real life and I'm just talking to you the same way I would outside of Boards?

I'm obviously not saying posters can't be a bit flippant and have a bit of a laugh with each other, but things can get easily lost in translation, especially across the written word in what can be a fairly contentious thread, and intentions can be misinterpreted.

I knew you were joking in what you posted on the thread, but I can easily see how it could have come across to others and why it was actioned. That's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,114 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Delete that post directed at me? Too much of your bias showing ?

I misread your post timestamps and thought you posted here before reporting. Apologies. That post was up for 9 seconds..

I have no bias in the issue, I'm a PC Gamer and of the consoles I've talked about the xbox more favorably than the PS4 or Wii U. And, if you've been following the forum, you well know that.

• Advertisement

I don't get your third point, the warning on thread doesnt seem to have been enforced and from anyone looking at this it looks like deliberate fanboyism. Unless of course you know Nix well enough that this is a valid opinion expressed which leads us back to the bias but its more on a poster level and not console.

It's just that moderator action isn't always something regular users will be privy too, it could be in the form of a pm to the 'offending user' for example.

Overheal wrote: »
    I misread your post timestamps and thought you posted here before reporting. Apologies. That post was up for 9 seconds..

I have no bias in the issue, I'm a PC Gamer and of the consoles I've talked about the xbox more favorably than the PS4 or Wii U. And, if you've been following the forum, you well know that.

Ah ok sorry retracted the statement (seen it in my email and was like wtf), i normally would have handled this kind of thing through reporting or speaking to the mods but as its here i was commenting on it.

It is a very emotive topic, one i normally dont really care about as i generally buy all consoles eventually but i was a bit shocked that the post wasnt addressed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just to clarify on some of the points raised:

To be perfectly frank, I really have no interest in what console anyone owns. What I do have interest in posts that are personally abusive, flamebaiting, getting cheeky digs in at other users etc... Many of your posts in that thread have fallen into these categories, and have been actioned as a result. This isn't a conclusion I have reached independently, but rather through a mountain of reports and discussions with moderators and C-moderators alike. It doesn't matter if you are pro-Playstation, pro-Microsoft or pro-Magnavox Odyssey, your posts have been consistently unacceptable in the thread.

Today's post was actioned for accusing someone of trolling on-thread - this is cause for action throughout this site, as it is both personal abuse and backseat moderation. As a former moderator, I'm sure you're aware the report post button is best for drawing mod attention to posts you suspect of trolling, and will not leave you susceptible to mod action (well, extreme circumstances or abuse of the system aside).

As for the bias accusations, I do not feel my ownership of a piece of consumer electronics negates my ability to moderate a thread. For the record I own all current and former gen consoles with the exception of the One, and I will likely pick up one when the software catalogue is attractive enough and its more financially feasible. I feel no strong passion towards any of the consoles, as ultimately they are all simply boxes for playing games and all worthy of consideration in their own way. Rest assured plenty of people from every 'camp' have had mod action taken against them in that thread :)

That is basically why no action was taken. I didn't feel anything in the post was sufficient evidence of trolling, it could well be a legitimately held opinion. Some people mightn't like it, but honestly if we were to action everyone in that thread who had a strong opinion others didn't like then we'd have banned more or less all the regulars long ago!

The user in question was actioned for their next post, however, for IMO a clear example of personal abuse. Personally speaking, I tend to be against heavy mod action when I can avoid it (hence on-thread warnings rather than cards wherever possible), especially when there's reasonable doubt about a poster's intentions. But I do draw a line at personal attacks.

Honestly, a few additions of 'LOL' or smilies doesn't overwrite a post that makes several personal, sarcastic, goading remarks directed at a particular user. The intention may have been in jest, but to me it read otherwise and could easily be interpreted as a straight-up personal attack and you received a warning because of it, and I'm not sure how anything in that thread would suggest that comments like that are encouraged or even acceptable. It's very easy to have a bit of fun without jibing another user like that :)

Edit: forgot to say "aggressive" is part of the automatic response sent to users when they receive a warning. Might not have been the word I'd have used, although 'uncivil' and 'confrontational' for sure.
    Calhoun wrote:
    Unless of course you know Nix well enough that this is a valid opinion expressed which leads us back to the bias but its more on a poster level and not console.

This goes the other way as well, though - it can be harder to determine an unfamiliar poster's intentions, whereas myself and the other mods are easier able to identify intentions of regular poster. Mod action isn't always for a single post, but an accumulative decision. We might be able to spot a trend of trolling over a dozen posts, for example, even if we can't definitively pick out one offending one (and honestly those tend to be the hardest mod decisions of all).

Trust us, that has been discussed at length, and the decision to keep it open was reached in order to try and avoid the 'heated' discussion from pouring over into other threads.

I definitely think the time for a further review has been reached, and will discuss it with the other gaming mods. I'd definitely be disinclined towards loosening the rules though, as a stricter approach was decided on with good cause given the even worse mess the thread was once in!

It's just that moderator action isn't always something regular users will be privy too, it could be in the form of a pm to the 'offending user' for example.

Fair enough Myriddin, i have an awful allot of respect for you after your actions around Christmas and pre-ordering stuff (as would most on the forum). I wasnt even following the thread closely until this popped up.

The only reason i was interested in this topic is that it is a very emotive topic and the thread name is more of an 1v1 between the two consoles so under those circumstances the language used by nix was very strong.

As you have dealt with it offline ill bow out, thanks for your time on this.

This goes the other way as well, though - it can be harder to determine an unfamiliar poster's intentions, whereas myself and the other mods are easier able to identify intentions of regular poster. Mod action isn't always for a single post, but an accumulative decision. We might be able to spot a trend of trolling over a dozen posts, for example, even if we can't definitively pick out one offending one (and honestly those tend to be the hardest mod decisions of all).!

You get where i am coming from though, this is one hell of an emotive thread and a post basically saying that one of the contenders in the thread should give up all together is going to be controversial, particularly when the poster says they have never bought one.

I couldnt care less about the op's situation as they were in the wrong and it was a shame they raised this issue as its a smokescreen for the real bug bear for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You get where i am coming from though, this is one hell of an emotive thread and a post basically saying that one of the contenders in the thread should give up all together is going to be controversial, particularly when the poster says they have never bought one.

I do, but at the same time pretty much any opinion expressed in that thread riles up someone's emotions :pac: Opinions can be controversial, and unless repetition of that opinion to the point of disruption derails the thread, it can be a hard call whether or not it's worthy of action, and from a personal perspective I'd be disinclined to do so (maybe an on-thread warning, depending on the circumstances). Rest assured though we do take a look at all reports (in this case, we received only the one) and make a call accordingly - some decisions are difficult, and in this particular case I simply did not feel it was sufficient cause for action. Not to say in future a strongly worded opinion won't incur a card for some reason or another :)

Fair enough Myriddin, i have an awful allot of respect for you after your actions around Christmas and pre-ordering stuff (as would most on the forum). I wasnt even following the thread closely until this popped up.

Me? Christmas? Pre-ordering? What did I do? :o Are you a manager on Amazon.co.uk who recognizes my Christmas contributions? :D
    The only reason i was interested in this topic is that it is a very emotive topic and the thread name is more of an 1v1 between the two consoles so under those circumstances the language used by nix was very strong.

Not at all, you've raised points in a constructive & mature manner...that's what this forum is for :)
    As you have dealt with it offline ill bow out, thanks for your time on this.

Oh I didn't deal with anything, just merely pointing out that sometimes mods can & do action users/posts but in such a way that is not apparent to everyone else :)

Me? Christmas? Pre-ordering? What did I do? :o Are you a manager on Amazon.co.uk who recognizes my Christmas contributions? :D

Not at all, you've raised points in a constructive & mature manner...that's what this forum is for :)

Oh I didn't deal with anything, just merely pointing out that sometimes mods can & do action users/posts but in such a way that is not apparent to everyone else :)

Holding reserves for people ect ( was you who purchased an extra one I believe) and keeping the forum on track, just meant that your not the type who doesn't care for the forum, your opinion carries good deal of weight.

Holding reserves for people ect ( was you who purchased an extra one I believe) and keeping the forum on track, just meant that your not the type who doesn't care for the forum, your opinion carries good deal of weight.

Ah, that was FutureGuy, the other Xbox mod. I'm the one with a PS4 who mods the Xbox forum :D (There'll be a One in the house for Xmas though so don't worry!). Like Johnny_Ultimate, the actual electronic device has little bearing on things for me...it's the good of the forum that actually matters.

• Advertisement

Ah ha still, high calibre of mods who care for their area of the world.

Advertisement