Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to be protestant to join?

• 17-07-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Do you have to be protestant to join and if not how much does being protestant help the application?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

dusf wrote: »
    Do you have to be protestant to join and if not how much does being protestant help the application?

with all due respect, are u having a laugh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If your serious probably best not to join, but no you don't have to be protestant in fact I think a few years ago they were trying to redress the balance and being catholic or other was a plus for applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 active_edge

And your name must be William, or Billy. Ideally your address will feature the numbers 16 and 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sgt_fenners

I'm nearly sure Gerry was out running last week. Maybe he is in training for pca???

• Registered Users Posts: 45 active_edge

I'm nearly sure Gerry was out running last week. Maybe he is in training for pca???

Surely for aerodynamic purposes the beard would have to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭missyme82

i actually LOL'd at that one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Okay, so non-protestants can join now but how much does being Protestant increase career progression chances? Or maybe being the token Catholic would help promotion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

I would ask that you be more respectful in your posts.

I would hardly call a police officer with the same community background as almost half the country 'token'.

Some basic research will tell you that the PSNI is over 30% Catholic. Not perfect figures but certainly encouraging (well, at least for those of us who embrace the ethos of equality).

I am being respectful. Are you denying there is Protestant favouritism and a bias against Catholic police officers and public in the PSNI?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

I'm pretty sure its the opposite as were not in the troubles anymore. They want more Catholics as during the troubles there was a stigma attached to being a catholic PSNI officer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Wind your neck in, dusf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

I'm sure the Penal Laws were repealed some centuries ago..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I am being respectful. Are you denying there is Protestant favouritism and a bias against Catholic police officers and public in the PSNI?

Having spent a year in the North, I can say anecdotally that most people couldn't care less about religion and Unionism/Nationalism and are primarily concerned with living their lives.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Exactly how many members of the Unionist rabble were arrested for incitement to hatred for burning effigies of Nationalists July 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tonyka

This thread appears to be about prejudice in the PSNI and not as it seems in the title. .

So you were being sarcastic in your original post?

It's not my place or within my knowledge to comment on protestant favourtism in the workplace but in answer to your other question, no, I don't believe the PSNI are biased against Catholics.

It would seem the Fair Employment Tribunal disagree:

Police pay for anti-Catholic bias

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Exactly how many members of the Unionist rabble were arrested for incitement to hatred for burning effigies of Nationalists July 12?

Translation: I want to join the PSNI so I can arrest Unionists / Loyalists / Protestants.

It would seem the Fair Employment Tribunal disagree:

Police pay for anti-Catholic bias

I'm not sure of the point you're making.

In this article the claimant is Protestant, not a PSNI officer and being victimised due to his relationship with a Catholic woman.

All horrendous of course but completely unrelated to career progression within the PSNI based on community background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Op is trolling and doesn't even know it.

• Advertisement

Translation: I want to join the PSNI so I can arrest Unionists / Loyalists / Protestants.

Noam Chomsky you are not.
    Dekkers wrote: »
    In this article the claimant is Protestant, not a PSNI officer and being victimised due to his relationship with a Catholic woman.

Victimised by the PSNI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Out of interest what's the situation WRT atheists who want to join the PSNI?

P_1 wrote: »

It probably depends on whether they are Irish or not.

Maybe they should exclusively employ atheists.

Religious beliefs of candidates is not under consideration at any time in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭crinkley

It probably depends on whether they are Irish or not.

If you tick other on the equality monitoring form someone will go through it and determine whether you're a catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist. A company is only to suppose to have 10% marked as other

crinkley wrote: »
    If you tick other on the equality monitoring form someone will go through it and determine whether you're a catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist. A company is only to suppose to have 10% marked as other

Really? So even if you profess to not having any religious faith they lump you in with one or the other? Is that not somewhat discriminatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭crinkley

Really? So even if you profess to not having any religious faith they lump you in with one or the other? Is that not somewhat discriminatory?

Yep, asked these questions of my manager but the equality commission will investigate if it's more than 10% so I just stop putting other as I know some poor sap has to sift through them. Also I'm not from ni so didn't know straight off which areas were Protestant and which catholic. That was a fun start to a new job!

crinkley wrote: »
    Yep, asked these questions of my manager but the equality commission will investigate if it's more than 10% so I just stop putting other as I know some poor sap has to sift through them. Also I'm not from ni so didn't know straight off which areas were Protestant and which catholic. That was a fun start to a new job!

I'd imagine so! Seems a strange way of doing business but I guess it's how it's done. I suppose it's a way of preventing discrimination on sectarian grounds but it does strike me as being an unwelcome relic of the past.

Essentially, yes. It's not just the PSNI in fairness and many employers ask 'what community would you be perceived to be from' rather than querying any genuine religious beliefs so even if you are an atheist you still feel somewhat obliged to tick one of their preferred boxes...

The PSNI do ask that you list schools you attended and as far as I can see this is to determine religious background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgtmort

Dusf - i actually laughed when I saw ur post then as I read through it I cudnt believe what you were saying! A narrow minded little brat if you ask me. My friend is in the psni and a catholic, he has been promoted purely for his skills and committment. Don't come out with such tripe. I'll not bother entertain you with an argument...I've my hair to wash!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement