Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantity Surveyor/Contract admin looking to move to Perth

Options
  • 17-07-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi alll,

Im thinking strongly about applyning for askilled visa and heading to Perth. Im currently working in Dublin with a Tier one main contractor for the last 2 years , I have 5 years experience with both PQs and contractor and on about €35k a year gross im 27 years young !. Feel like im not moving anywhere and want a change so any info on the few questions below would be most appricated.

1. Is there Qs/contract admin work in Perth.
    2. What wage would a qs with 5 years get.
    3. How hard is it to get work with no Ozzie experience (seen alot on seek asking for local experience)
    4. Anyone do the same as me and apply for skilled visa 190 how hard was it to get and how long it take

Also i would be going with my partner and new born child should this be an issue with visa??

Thanks in Advance for any info

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Have you heard there's a lot of layoffs in Perth currently, a lot of mining commissioning finishing up.
    Capture8.png
    Do you have contacts in Perth that can gauge the situation for you?

I'd imagine the construction professional finishing in the mines will be crowding the jobs market here for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cman101

No didnt know that , Im guessing the construction wages would still be better than in Ireland all the same giving the above situation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I deleted your other thread to keep things tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

cman101 wrote: »
    No didnt know that , Im guessing the construction wages would still be better than in Ireland all the same giving the above situation.
    Yes the wages will be better if you can get a job. Things are quieting down a lot. The big money is in Fifo jobs out of Perth but there is really only a few projects going on now, Royhill and some Darwin projects and there are lots of people looking for work on them so the rosters are getting tougher 3:1 - 4:1 etc and wages are dropping.
    $150k + would be reasonable to start, but that is not a lot of money in perth, you 'd be comfortable but not lavish given you 're supporting a family but would never actually see them :(
    You could work in Perth and be home every night but knock the wages down to sub $100k straight away.
    Suggest if serious you come over on your own for 3-6 months, get sorted then bring family over later.
    Local experience is a big problem particularity in Perth where it's mostly sub-division work (estates) they want people who know the local councils etc.
    I did that for years in Ireland, moved to mines and tried recently to get back into residential commercial building in Perth, not even an interview, thought I'd be a shoe in, no local experience! Ffs I live in Perth and have been working in WA for years...
    There are big changes underfoot in WA job market, you would get work but you need to be coming here with a long term plan now. Smash and grab the big money tactics days are past now I think,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The slowdown is trickling into the whole job market, a colleague (a local) has been applying for basic admin jobs for months now with no luck. A year ago she was being asked to join other companies without an interview!

BHP announced a 20% reduction in their workforce in the last few weeks too. Oil and gas still seem to be trucking along but definitely the easy money times have passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 cman101

Bump any other Qs over there with there experience willing to share

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I am not a quantity Surveyor and am WA but not in Perth, there is a significant slowdown in the Mining construction market, but residential and commercial construction around Perth is still quite strong. If you are RICS get on to their WA branch and they can probably tell you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RayJ

I'm a QS over here (working FIFO) and I know that the slow down has particularly affected in Perth with capex mining reduced. If the AUD falls in the next while (as predicted) it may mean things get going again...but it means we're all earning less if converting back to euros. Sydney looks like it has a better workload of the main cities.

I'm actually seeing a trend of expats returning back with London being their destination.

I think local experience is a big thing.

Advertisement