Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming ban in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

was out for a good while at Killiney on Monday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

shansey wrote: »
    was out for a good while at Killiney on Monday..

You're in trouble now ;) how's the tummy?

ha ha..good so far but who knows!?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

One of my kids pooed in the bath once, we just took the poo out and left the kids in.

#fecalMatterSchemcalMatter

tunney wrote: »
    One of my kids pooed in the bath once, we just took the poo out and left the kids in.

#fecalMatterSchemcalMatter

I have never laughed so much...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

Pm1e wrote: »
    Am a local at Seapoint myself so hope we are given the all clear sooner rather than later.

Does the ban extend down as far as Seapoint? There's a night swim happening there next Friday that I'm signed up for - hope it gets the go-ahead.

Does the ban extend down as far as Seapoint? There's a night swim happening there next Friday that I'm signed up for - hope it gets the go-ahead.

A night swim? Whats this? They are checking the water again and should have further readings by tomorrow I've heard so hopefully we may be ok by then but yeah its running the coastline from sandymount through Killiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

by Friday week it should be ok, doing the swim myself.

There have taken more samples and hope to give the all clear tomorrow. i believe that the good water will help burn it off.

my 4 year old and her friend were swimming yesterday, her friend is now covered in a rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

A night swim? Whats this?

I put the link in my previous post. It's not a race - just a social swim I think. Everyone has glow-sticks on their hats. Talking to someone who did it last year people tend to just swim as a group, wait for each other at the various buoys, etc. I've signed up for the 1500m swim as I've an Olympic a couple of weeks after so want to get the distance in.
    yeah its running the coastline from sandymount through Killiney.

That's a shame - hopefully the sample comes back ok. There were a few other beaches recently that were closed down but reopened shortly afterwards.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »

There have taken more samples and hope to give the all clear tomorrow. i believe that the good water will help burn it off.

my 4 year old and her friend were swimming yesterday, her friend is now covered in a rash.

oh no, hope she is ok.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Curracloe in Wexford was closed temporarily too last week. Heavy rain causes a bit of a problem in summer by running all kinds of stuff into the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ted1 wrote: »

Jesus thats sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What would happen if this happened this time next year, 2 weeks before Ironman was supposed to be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What would happen if this happened this time next year, 2 weeks before Ironman was supposed to be there?

Some would say SIU!! :D

Water is always going to be suspect in the summer as farmers spread slurry 2 days before rain which leads to fouled water a week later. Same every year, you learn not to swim in the two week window after spreading starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

There is always a risk that something like that can happen but both organisations ( challenge and ironman) would have thought about this already last year not just now and investments into water quality of swim venue were discussed.

I don't think farmers spreading slurry is the problem around seapoint or killiney...not as big of a problem with the sea either as it is with rivers and lakes..

Are we back to normality yet?

shansey wrote: »
    I don't think farmers spreading slurry is the problem around seapoint or killiney...not as big of a problem with the sea either as it is with rivers and lakes..

Are we back to normality yet?

yup, ban lifted. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/water-quality-back-to-normal-at-two-of-three-dublin-beaches-1.1871250

Racing in the Belpark Aquathon in Seapoint tomorrow, I will let you all know how I feel by Thurs/ Friday. If that doesn't do me in I'm sure a 2nd dose on Friday night for the night swim might, stay posted. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Anyone know whether this is affecting the Belpark aquathon tonight? Looks like Sandymount is still closed and it's not a million miles away.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Anyone know whether this is affecting the Belpark aquathon tonight? Looks like Sandymount is still closed and it's not a million miles away.

I think the water quality is ok, though the fog might be an issue unless it clears.

I'm signed up for this too..

I suppose they wouldn't let it go ahead if it wasn't safe.. I was in Killiney, along with about 60 others the day before they closed it.

Hopefully they are just erring on the side of caution..

I heard the fog around Dunlaoghaire was pretty bad during the night but anybody know how it's looking today? I guess it would need to be pretty dense to force the postponement of a short closed-loop swim near the shore.

I heard the fog around Dunlaoghaire was pretty bad during the night but anybody know how it's looking today? I guess it would need to be pretty dense to force the postponement of a short closed-loop swim near the shore.

I would imagine the sun has burnt through it by now but cant confirm, in city centre. Looking forward to the event

All looks good from this angle
    http://dlharbour.ie/weather/

Great event last night. Perfect conditions for swimming and running. Well done Belpark TC on their first Aquathon.

Great event last night. Perfect conditions for swimming and running. Well done Belpark TC on their first Aquathon.

Hear hear, really great race. Weather was bliss. How did you go? Im back down there again tomorrow night for the ILDSA 1500m night swim :D

Doing the night swim too - should be a surreal experience :)

Swim ok / mid-pack with no drama, run better (for me) and a new PB - if the run course was accurate ;)

• Advertisement

Doing the night swim too - should be a surreal experience :)

Swim ok / mid-pack with no drama, run better (for me) and a new PB - if the run course was accurate ;)

Yes I saw some very 'fast' run times there. But all in all great evening to be out. Tomorrow will be top. I'll keep an eye out for you. :D

Advertisement