Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with Letter of Resignation?

Options
  • 17-07-2014 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I have decided to go back to college full time in September and have got my course. I am working in a customer service dept at the minute and told my supervisor today but asked him not to say anything until I gave him an official letter with a date. I know at Christmas it is extremely busy and I told him I would gladly come in over Christmas to help out and he seemed delighted with this as it will save them hiring someone on a temp contract and I am already trained and I would be happy with the work too. I am going to hand in my letter of resignation tomorrow but wondering should I mention this time in December on the letter or leave it? What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Leave it.
    All that should be in your letter is your name and date you plan on finishing. Keep it short. You can explain anything else in person but it does not belong in the letter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

In general I'd agree with Tenifan and you have a few examples here.

I'd hand it in at the notice period + 1 day date to avoid you risk being sent home early. The discussion about Christmas is something you can handle when speaking with HR or similar for your exist interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hr will take you off the accounts and hence rule out any future work. Tell your manager your not currently available for work but keep you on the books for busy periods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Comapny Address (tab to otherside of page) Your Address

21/07/2014
    Dear Bob Smith,
    Ref: Resignation

with regret I am resigning as of 1st September 2014. This is due to me returning to college. I wish to Thank you for the opportunity and wish you the very best for the future.

As discussed I will be available from the 15th of December until the 15th of January, if temporary work becomes available around Christmas. Please note, however, I have planned a visit to family in Uzbekistan from the 20th to the 27th of December and will be unavailable for those dates.

Yours Sincerely,

James Bond.

Advertisement