Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove info

Options
  • 17-07-2014 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help me. I am thinking about getting putting in a stove, I do not have a back boiler in my house.

Questions:

1. Will it warp the timber (oak) fire surround on my fireplace?

2. What should I be looking for in a stove?

3. What else will I need to buy and approx cost?

4. How much approx should it cost to get a builder to put it in?

Thanks all :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You will probably get a quicker reply in the Plumbing & Heating forum.

You can ask a mod to move it by clicking on the little triangle (Report Post) under your user name and asking for it to be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

The first thing you should do is visit a shop that deals in stoves like http://www.Murphyheating.com or http://www.Walshsheatingandplumbing.ie,http://www.Joycehardware.com They should be able to give you all the advise you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Gordans Glenamaddy have a great selection of stoves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

hillbloom wrote: »
    Gordans Glenamaddy have a great selection of stoves.

Cheapest aswell, I have looked around.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Natural Green Energy in Craughwell sell and install stoves so can be a one-stop-shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

You'll need
    • A well lined chimney (they need more draw)
    • Aqua board (well that's what they called it at the time) if you're blocking the fireplace. You could paint that but folk often tile it.
    • Look out for KW of the stove, you need more than 10kw( prob 12+) if you've a back boiler. 8kw for a good size room(open plan say), no boiler.
    • I don't know will they warp your oak fireplace, we've a stone one and it get's hot enough.
    • A slab of sorts under the stove.
    You might think of buying a stove for €700- €900 but it could be €300 in extras for just the stove alone, not including linking to a back boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 geansai glas

We put a stove from Gordans in and it is the best thing we ever did, back boiler installed too, you would not believe the heat and hot water, you do need to mix a bit of coal in with the turf to get the most out of it I find, just a shovel full per night maybe two on a really chilly one.

I think if you don't put the back boiler in you will regret it as I have friends who just put in the stove and seeing how out one works have regretted not getting the boiler themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭roseagra

Certainly recommend Gordons, Dad put in a stove and while they needed a bit of encouragement with getting some parts for him (a sweet little reminded to hurry along) the price was excellent and delays were minimal.

I would disagree with regretting not having a back boiler. It's really going to depend on your situation and if you aren't in the position to install one then it is what it is. I think, all in, the stove Dad installed (yes he did it with a friend and they have experience in buildling related areas) came in around €420 for everything, this was for a 8KW stove. He did get a special with Gordons so not sure if you manage something that cheap.

My sister put in a 6KW stove for €250, it's a cheaper model, not bought in Gordons and you would know it but she uses it to heat a room that isn't in regular use. It does her for what she wants.

So it doesn't need to be so expensive.

Also the return on fuel is immediately apparent and it burn is so much more efficiently, less ash. I commented in my Dads the other day how hot the house was, he'd lit his first fire the night before, only two small loads of turn and the house was still boiling near lunch time the next day (it's a small house so the 8KW is nearly too much at full tilt).

Best of luck with it and again I agree you should visit stockists and start gathering prices.

Advertisement