Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deal or no deal??

• 17-07-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Why is this show so popular?? I just don't get it, it's not strategy , it's pure luck

The contestants are constantly hugging the box opener like the box opener did anything................. Wtf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Indeed,,, WTF

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Kill it with hugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Same as Mr Blobby, Noel Edmonds is the devil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

My wife used to be saying 'deal, just deal will you' at the TV after every offer. That got pretty annoying, especially as she wouldn't turn over. Then she'd say 'told you so' after it all went wrong.

Yeah, the notion that there is some strategy is just nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

molly09 wrote: »
    Why is this show so popular?? I just don't get it, it's not strategy , it's pure luck

I disagree. Knowing (or thinking you do :pac: ) when to cash in the box and take the deal, seems like pretty interesting statistical analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I love the way the players are in deep thought, thinking about their strategy...its a load of boxes with numbers in, randomly. It's like flipping a coin mate! pure luck.

Without all the talking and bull****ting, the show'd be over in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

It hasn't got a patch on its Spanish counterpart: Check this out

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

It's a freak show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Is this show uniquely shıte or a remake of another equally shıte show?

Take your pick. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

They have a careful contestant selection process designed to filter out anyone who isn't a superstitious shrieking idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

I don't see the appeal of the show itself, but the mindset of the contestants is interesting. People generally overestimate the amount of control they have over given situations, so contestants think they have systems which will help them beat the game. Jon Ronson wrote a good article about life behind the scenes on the show a few years ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2006/oct/21/broadcasting.arts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I hate that the people on there have sob stories and need the cash badly. I would prefer to see risk takers on there, gamblers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Jon Ronson wrote a good article about life behind the scenes on the show a few years ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2006/oct/21/broadcasting.arts

He must be an awful sad Fúcker if he writes articles about this tripe

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's so funny when they have the 1p box or another low figure. That's all I'm hoping for when I watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Tried to watch this but the contestants drove me nuts, I don't know where they find them but they're beyond weird.

And this whole thing about having a photo of a dead relative and all the sob stories is too much. And them hugging each other and telling each other how great they are. Who cares? Just open the box and get on with it.

It's a game of chance, there's no skill involved whatsoever. There's no strategy involved no matter what the contestants may think.

And Noel Edmonds is there too prowling around, filling their heads with nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

uch wrote: »

Yeah, I'd say Jon Ronson is pretty happy in his own skin and excellent book-deals, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

d@rk l0rd wrote: »
    And Noel Edmonds is there too prowling around, filling their heads with nonsense.

That's just it, Noel Edmonds and the formatting of the show turns what is essentially a lucky-dip into something that does actually capture people's interest for half and hour.

I find I don't want to watch it. But if I ever do watch a minute or two of it, I then am compelled to stay till the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

There's always one bastárd who says "Good luck, I hope it's a blue". Sure as shít it's a red one when they say that.

If I ever got on it, I'd tell them what's what. "I'll have number 17, shut your mouth Raj, just open the fúckin thing....."

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Well either that or he's a lucky bastard who gets paid very well to write about odd people and has sold a ton of books full of this writing. Bet he wishes he was you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

You could do the whole show in ten minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I love when someone opens their box, it's a high amount and they apologize like it's all their f*cking fault!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

His books are good and popular sellers - they deal with all sorts of weird stuff people and goverments do. That film "Men who stare at goats" was based on his book.

The people on the show live together kinda like big brothers and noel is pretty frequent visitor so any objectivity the contestents have is kinda lost in that athmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

d@rk l0rd wrote: »
    It's a game of chance, there's no skill involved whatsoever. There's no strategy involved no matter what the contestants may think.
    I think I've only ever watched the show once, but surely there is some skill involved, ie. working out whether what you're being offered by the dealer is more or less than the expected value of your return otherwise?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In the Italian version the smallest thing you can win is a single grain of rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

The contestants are constantly hugging the box opener like the box opener did anything................. Wtf

The reason I like watching it is for the reactions.

My favourite scenario (and main reason for watching) is when someone gets off to a good start. They have gotten rid of a few blues and still have the £250,000 on the board.

As time goes on they grow in confidence, feeding off the cheers of the crowd each time they turn down a respectful offer of £10,000-£20,000.

They go around hugging each person after selecting the box which shows blue. Theres a pep in their step and I'm watching knowing what is to come.

Finally the person selects the £250,000 box and everyone just stars shocked gasping as the person drops their head in their hands.

"Bankers offer £1000"..more gasps.

The camera zooms in on the face of the person who just squandered any chance of winning a nice respectful sum of money. They'll have to spend every day reliving that moment. Knowing they missed out on the money and publicly embarrassed themselves. Friends will talk about it for years until they become distant and the person tries to start a new life for themselves somewhere people don't know them. But every time they hear a phone call they shiver thinking of the banker....

Yeah it's a great show alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

The Irish version with Keith Barry as host always amused me... He must have always been thinking "hahaha dumbass you're picking the wrong box, 1 cent for you"... But in reality he has to be like "We're all wishing you and your pet dog Betty the very best"...."awww noooo it's the 1 cent box nooooo"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Ficheall wrote: »
    I think I've only ever watched the show once, but surely there is some skill involved, ie. working out whether what you're being offered by the dealer is more or less than the expected value of your return otherwise?

The amount offered by the dealer is always less than the expected value if you continue to play from what I've seen. Thus all things being equal, it makes sense to always continue to play.

However, people don't have a linear valuation of money. For example, most people would prefer 100% chance at €1000 rather than a 50% chance at €2001, despite the second option having a higher expected value. Long term, it makes sense to take the second option, but in a single game - most people will take the first.

So, the best strategy is to work out your own personal utility of money and make decisions based off of that. For some reason, I don't think many people seem to follow this strategy. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

c_man wrote: »
    I disagree. Knowing (or thinking you do :pac: ) when to cash in the box and take the deal, seems like pretty interesting statistical analysis.

Heh heh heh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

petes wrote: »
    You could do the whole show in ten minutes.

It's a minute actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

I would love to see an all Osmonds version of the show. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Pity the show wasn't on in the 80s as you could buy x-ray specs in the back of the Beano for very little money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Overhyped rubbish. The phone conversation with the Banker is woeful stuff. I'm watching a repeat of the show that is shown before it everyday- Countdown. Much less BS. Plus the fact you have the delectable Rachel Riley and Susie Dent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

A bit like the show itself, the modding of these types of threads is completely arbitrary.

Another poster or a different day and it will be 'TV forum - thread locked'.

Really grinds them for me.

Sorry op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

A well known Irish bookie Paddy Power has this deal or no deal game on their webiste.

The advantage is that there is no noel edmonds or talking to slow things down.

But there are 26 boxes and the chances of making any profit are extremely slim.

They have the "fun play" (for free) in tiny font but the "REAL PLAY" button for real money in much bigger font :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Golden balls is far far better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement