Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Politics

Options
  • 17-07-2014 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

I have an issue with a very harsh two weeks banning that I have received from the Politics forum, in the thread about the Israel conflict in Gaza. I mentioned that a Jew was held responsible for the Holodomor famine in Ukraine during the 1930s, and was convicted posthumously in a Ukrainian court a few years back.

A poster had brought up the issue that Jews had got an awful lot of sympathy for the Holocaust. I responded that the over 7 million Ukrainian's that were starved to death in the Holodomor didn't get any sympathy though did they?

A moderator then accused me of antisemitism, which was a nasty personal attack on me, and told me not to post on the thread again.
    I naturally asked why? I then told him the name of the Jew that was convicted for his role in the Holodomor. Then another moderator came along, and banned me for two weeks for issuing that reply.

All seems very harsh, and I was wondering if the ban could be overturned. If not, I'll take the 2 week ban on the chin, even though I feel I don't deserve it. I issued a calm response.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi Conas - I will look into this for you.
    I've already been in touch with the mods and they have indicated you have already been in contact via PM so jumping straight to catmod review.

Hi Conas

I'm going to cut straight to it Conas, I am upholding the ban.
    I am going to add though - if you continue posting material like this you are facing a very lengthy ban from the forum, potentially even permanent.

I'll get to that post in a minute but just taking the fact that you
    a) Ignored mod instruction and posted again &
    b) Argued with a mod on thread
    you are very lucky that just considering these two in isolation you only received a two week ban.
    The mod Black Swan was very clear on this.

In terms of your post after which you were instructed not to post again, I have reviewed it and have been in discussion with the Politics mods. I'll be honest I have bugged the hell out of them on this one and it basically comes back to one simple question - were you being intentionally anti-semitic?
    Per the charter:
    Originally Posted by Dr Galen View Post
    Deliberately misleading posts or posters aiming to spread misinformation will be sanctioned. We do not expect posters to be experts in all areas, however, the onus is on all posters to fact check their information. If a poster is corrected, or information corrected in a thread, any poster who continues to relate misinformation as fact will be sanctioned.

Please note that any post deemed to incite hatred... will be dealt with in the strictest possible manner.

As such I am going to now ask the mods to review your ban once more keeping this instruction to the forefront of their thoughts. My request will be a simple one #
    "If you feel Conas has intentionally violated this point please discuss among yourselves if 2 weeks is a clear enough signal that this type of behaviour is not acceptable, up to and including issuing a permanent ban."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

I don't know how it's misinformation when I made a comment, and then named the individual. I never argued at all with the mods, I issued one reply, and asked why he thought it was antisemitic. Then I was banned for two weeks.
    Taltos wrote: »
    Hi Conas

I'm going to cut straight to it Conas, I am upholding the ban.
    I am going to add though - if you continue posting material like this you are facing a very lengthy ban from the forum, potentially even permanent.

I'll get to that post in a minute but just taking the fact that you
    a) Ignored mod instruction and posted again &
    b) Argued with a mod on thread
    you are very lucky that just considering these two in isolation you only received a two week ban.
    The mod Black Swan was very clear on this.

In terms of your post after which you were instructed not to post again, I have reviewed it and have been in discussion with the Politics mods. I'll be honest I have bugged the hell out of them on this one and it basically comes back to one simple question - were you being intentionally anti-semitic?
    Per the charter:

As such I am going to now ask the mods to review your ban once more keeping this instruction to the forefront of their thoughts. My request will be a simple one #
    "If you feel Conas has intentionally violated this point please discuss among yourselves if 2 weeks is a clear enough signal that this type of behaviour is not acceptable, up to and including issuing a permanent ban."

Conas wrote: »
    I don't know how it's misinformation when I made a comment, and then named the individual. I never argued at all with the mods, I issued one reply, and asked why he thought it was antisemitic. Then I was banned for two weeks.

Hopefully this will help.
    Post #300 from Scofflaw, moderator instruction:
    Conas, your posts have begin to fall into a pretty standard anti-Semitic pattern, and this one looks like the cherry on top. Don't post further, thanks.

iMrApex, your posts increasingly look like a combination of stonewalling and soapboxing. Nor do you get to dictate the nature of reality, or claim that it is, and implicitly should be, dictated by force.

moderately,
    Scofflaw
    I have unbolded it apart from the key instruction - Don't post again...

You then did 2 things (all in the one post).
    You ignored this instruction - you posted.
    You quoted Scofflaw and attempted to argue your point in post #301
    Scofflaw wrote: »
    Conas, your posts have begin to fall into a pretty standard anti-Semitic pattern, and this one looks like the cherry on top. Don't post further, thanks.

iMrApex, your posts increasingly look like a combination of stonewalling and soapboxing. Nor do you get to dictate the nature of reality, or claim that it is, and implicitly should be, dictated by force.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

How? Lazar Kaganovich was a Jew that was found guilty a few years ago, of the Holodomor genocide in Ukraine during the 1930s. All documented, and are all proven facts.

MOD: Banned 2-weeks. See details below.

Hopefully this will help.
    Post #300 from Scofflaw, moderator instruction:

I have unbolded it apart from the key instruction - Don't post again...

I'm stunned. I really don't know what to say to be honest. A two week ban for something so small.

• Advertisement

Afraid so. It would not be unusual depending on the circumstances to even see longer bans issued for that.

Afraid so. It would not be unusual depending on the circumstances to even see longer bans issued for that.

I can do no more. I made my case and did the best I could. I may sit it out for the two weeks then, and when I get back on I'll choose my words much more carefully from now on. Thanks for your help and responses.

OK - thanks will request this to be marked as resolved so.

Thanks
    Taltos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement