Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks World Tour / New Music - *NO DUBLIN GIGS TALK*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

alastair wrote: »
    Just like they did in Glastonbury last year? :rolleyes:
    The Other Stage at Glastonbury is not the main stage at EP, by a long way.

anyway, that's off-topic.
    Brooks's stage shows are legendary and Beck or Portishead at EP wouldn't come close, and are a different genre altogether, so it's a completely daft suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The Other Stage at Glastonbury is not the main stage at EP, by a long way.

anyway, that's off-topic.
    Brooks's stage shows are legendary and Beck or Portishead at EP wouldn't come close, and are a different genre altogether, so it's a completely daft suggestion.

The Other Stage at Glastonbury has a larger capacity than the main stage at EP (or indeed - the entire capacity of all stages at EP!). So your point is clearly undermined - Portishead are demonstrably more than capable of knocking a large stage outdoor festival gig out of the park. It's rather unlikely they'll bomb at EP.

i never said anything about capacity so I've no idea how that has anything to do with my point. the crowd demographics are completely different.
    as are those between Garth Brooks and Portishead.

so it's a completely silly remark.

i never said anything about capacity so I've no idea how that has anything to do with my point. the crowd demographics are completely different.
    as are those between Garth Brooks and Portishead.

so it's a completely silly remark.

How exactly is the EP crowd demographic different from Glastonbury? And when you state that you "can imagine they'll bomb at EP given the crowd and the outdoor main stage", how is that not referring to capacity? If not capacity and an outdoor, festival context, then what are you referring to? It's as if you're unaware of the claim you're making?

Portishead have a clear record of delivering lauded performances in exactly the context you outline. It's irrelevant that their genre is different from Garth Brooks - it's you who's claiming they'll 'bomb' in a large outdoor festival stage - despite the evidence to the contrary.

alastair wrote: »
    How exactly is the EP crowd demographic different from Glastonbury? And when you state that "can imagine they'll bomb at EP given the crowd and the outdoor main stage", how is that not referring to capacity? If not capacity and an outdoor, festival context, then what are you referring to? It's as if you're unaware of the claim you're making?

Portishead have a clear record of delivering lauded performances in exactly the context you outline. It's irrelevant that their genre is different from Garth Brooks - it's you who's claiming they'll 'bomb' in a large outdoor festival stage - despite the evidence to the contrary.

because the crowd at the EP main stage is completely different to the type that would go to see Portishead at the Other Stage at Glastonbury.
    it's a crowd that turned out massively for Fatboy Slim and Two Door Cinema Club and was largely indifferent to My Bloody Valentine.

I didn't say that they'd bomb in a large outdoor festival stage. I said at EP I could imagine they would on the main stage.

• Advertisement

because the crowd at the EP main stage is completely different to the type that would go to see Portishead at the Other Stage at Glastonbury.
    Not in my experience - but I'm still curious why you believe so.

it's a crowd that turned out massively for Fatboy Slim and Two Door Cinema Club and was largely indifferent to My Bloody Valentine.
    Because My Bloody Valentine put on a poor performance with an awful soundstage. Nothing to do with the demographic. Two Door Cinema Club and Fat Boy Slim have played The Other Stage at Glastonbury.

I didn't say that they'd bomb in a large outdoor festival stage. I said at EP I could imagine they would on the main stage.
    And yet you remain coy as to your perceived reason for this claim.

i stated my reason, the crowd that the main stage at EP attracts.
    if it will make you happy, i'll recant it, and say i think Portishead will be a roaring success on the main stage at EP.

back to Garth Brooks....his stage show looks far better than when what I've seen live from those 2, and anything I've seen and would expect at EP.

HLW, save up your money and make a trip out of it, there'll no doubt be playing non-stop well into next year so should be plenty of opportunities to see him.

i stated my reason, the crowd that the main stage at EP attracts.
    Which would appear to be identical to The Other Stage's demographic? You're not doing your case any good by failing to substantiate it with actual evidence.
    if it will make you happy, i'll recant it, and say i think Portishead will be a roaring success on the main stage at EP..
    At least that has the merit of plausibility - if not consistency.

Oh, and Take That's Circus stage show puts anything Garth Brooks has put together, in the shade. If spectacle is your prime criteria, then festival performances by anyone will be a bit of a let down. Musically, on the other hand...

there is no "actual evidence" to give. it's all opinion and personal experience. i've seen Portishead indoors and out. outdours at a festival they were not good. indoors, they were. EP's main stage attracts a much more casual music fan in my experience.

i've seen TT's show too, it's excellent. up there with Brooks in my opinion. far ahead of Portishead at a festival. i never said spectacle was prime criteria, but continue mis-representing my posts if it helps you deal with my criticism of Portishead.

there is no "actual evidence" to give. it's all opinion and personal experience. i've seen Portishead indoors and out. outdours at a festival they were not good. indoors, they were. EP's main stage attracts a much more casual music fan in my experience.

i've seen TT's show too, it's excellent. up there with Brooks in my opinion. far ahead of Portishead at a festival. i never said spectacle was prime criteria, but continue mis-representing my posts if it helps you deal with my criticism of Portishead.

Your criticism of Portishead that's at odds with a pretty firm consensus that they absolutely provided a highlight of Glastonbury last year, on a stage comparable with the main stage at EP? Do keep digging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Can he still sing as good as he used to? i heard him on some website a few years ago he didn't sound as good as he used to. We'll know after the Chicago concerts :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Getting really sick of this thread already. NO EP talk or festival talk or anything off topic. Straight to lock from here and ye can all go to the after hours thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Can he still sing as good as he used to? i heard him on some website a few years ago he didn't sound as good as he used to. We'll know after the Chicago concerts :)

Am sure he can, i watched the blame it all on my roots dvd and it's pretty good, i see it's off to Atlanta next on the tour, still waiting on the new music to show up on his website tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Am sure he can, i watched the blame it all on my roots dvd and it's pretty good, i see it's off to Atlanta next on the tour, still waiting on the new music to show up on his website tho!

That blame it all on my roots show is quality.

I imagine Atlanta will get 5/6 nights as well so next friday gona try and book tickets and then book flights - fortunately Atlanta is a huge hub so easy palce to get to.

Hopefully he will announce a north east city soon!

So it's been a few weeks now since he's talked about the new music and all his old music going up on this new website of his but still no sign, wonder if he's in talks with i tunes etc. as well?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Garth Brooks was due to release a new song to radio today. In the States, anyways. I don't know about other places and if Irish radio stations played it. Did anybody hear it yet? I'm listening to online radio and hopping from station to station in the hopd of finding it. No luck yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Garth Brooks was due to release a new song to radio today. In the States, anyways. I don't know about other places and if Irish radio stations played it. Did anybody hear it yet? I'm listening to online radio and hopping from station to station in the hopd of finding it. No luck yet.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2014/09/03/garth-brooks-people-loving-people-single/15032435/

Popped up this morning, Completely meh song but at least you know the new albums not gonna be anything different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

He's just went digital. All up on his website. Woo hoo.

He's just went digital. All up on his website. Woo hoo.

I'm due to check it out now.

Is there an online shop yet from there I wonder with merchandise.

I see the image on his site/web screen is still of the 97 Dublin gig. Although with a new tour starting today, who knows, that might change when they gather up some new pictures from his gigs.

I hope GB does a concert dvd of his tour although but with it due to be 3 years, it could be after that by the time we get a concert dvd from him.

The set list from last nights show

The two-hour, 24-song set:

Man Against the Machine
    Rodeo
    Papa Loved Mama.
    The Beaches of Cheyenne
    The River
    Unanswered Prayers
    Two of a Kind (Workin' On a Full House)
    Ain't Going Down ('Til the Sun Comes Up)
    Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)
    That Summer
    The Thunder Rolls
    People Loving People
    In Another's Eyes with Trisha Yearwood

Trisha Yearwood:

American Girl (X's and O's)
    Wrong Side of Memphis
    How Do I Live
    She's in Love With the Boy
    PrizeFighter with Garth Brooks

Garth Brooks:

More Than a Memory
    Callin' Baton Rouge
    Friends in Low Places
    The Dance

Encores:

Fever

Walkaway Joe

• Advertisement

Opening night songs up on youtube :)... not sure for how long tho..

Thanks Paddy for your posts. That's some setlist. I love those two songs from Trisha Yearwood: She's in love with a boy, X and O's.

I would have loved to be there. Garth Brooks is looking very good.

Thanks for the youtube. I got a quick look at them but will check them out again when i have free time (tonight) and hope they are still there. I came out Much Too Young To Feel This Damn Old. Wow. I enjoyed it and loved it very much.

I still didn't have any luck with his new song but with the weekend here's hoping I'll get to hear it. Did you get to hear his new song Paddy? If so, what do you think of it?

Just downloading now, i bought the 23.99 bundle not a bad deal all 8 albums + the new one when it's released + new double live videos.
    Will let you know as soon as it's done

Just listened to people loving people, the 1st single, not a bad one kinda catchy after a few times of listening to it, the extra song with the new dpwnload bundle is send 'em on down the road... again not a bad song very safe, both are actually but after so many years away i'm sure he is just making sure the 1st few will be safe, middle of the road songs. Good start just waiting on the new videos for the double live album, 3.2GB of zip!! Gonna take awhile!!

Looks like those you tube clips have been removed.. have downloaded them before they got removed so will add a link later

I still didn't get the new song or hear it. My laptop is broken and do my internet on my mobile and ipod so that's holding me back from getting his new song. I'm going to root out the laptop later and much keys are not working but I'll hope for the best.

Did you buy from his site garthbrooks.com or the ghosttunes site. Ghosttunes is very new to me so I hope when I do get his new music, I'll be able to transfer to the itunes and the ipod. I'm not very big with technology stuff.

I was able to see some youtube videos but only just brief watching before they were removed. I'm glad GB toned down the cowboy look he had back in the day and kept his appearance similar to the Wylnn with his check shirt. His had was fabulous and he looked very well.

I was reading the planetgarth forums. Guess what he played at one of his shows?

Ireland

He still has a love for Ireland I reckon. If he was so put off he wouldn't have included that in his concert.

I still didn't get the new song or hear it. My laptop is broken and do my internet on my mobile and ipod so that's holding me back from getting his new song. I'm going to root out the laptop later and much keys are not working but I'll hope for the best.

Did you buy from his site garthbrooks.com or the ghosttunes site. Ghosttunes is very new to me so I hope when I do get his new music, I'll be able to transfer to the itunes and the ipod. I'm not very big with technology stuff.

I was able to see some youtube videos but only just brief watching before they were removed. I'm glad GB toned down the cowboy look he had back in the day and kept his appearance similar to the Wylnn with his check shirt. His had was fabulous and he looked very well.

I was reading the planetgarth forums. Guess what he played at one of his shows?

Ireland

He still has a love for Ireland I reckon. If he was so put off he wouldn't have included that in his concert.

You're able to download directly to iTunes.

Yes it gives the the choice to download directly to i tunes library or to the downloads folder in music, looks like the second night his voice was a lot better during the songs can't wait for the DVD!! Christmas i hope!

Is there a DVD?

Don't think there is. Not from the video clip I saw. He said there wasn't any plans for any DVD.

And any chance of seeing him within the next 3 years would be in the states. He was saying that to get through the tour cities from 96-98 in America would take at least 3 years, then he would get around to other places.

I'll try get the video later on.

He Definitely won't be over here until this thing with the licences gets sorted an hoping if and when he does that he stays clear of croke park and gets down around the country where most of his fans are.
    He might put up a dvd on his website prob wants to get back into the swing of things first plenty of time to record one for Christmas

• Advertisement

Here's the video I saw last week which pretty much answers your questions from 16 minutes in.

No DVD and 3 years touring in the states before getting to other places.

http://m.ustream.tv/recorded/52292596?rmalang=en_US

Advertisement