Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian airline MH-17 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

fedor.2. wrote: »
    I can't believe there are people looting the wreckage and the bodies.

This sounds like The Sun is up to its Hillsborough rumour sh!t again...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

fedor.2. wrote: »
    I can't believe there are people looting the wreckage and the bodies.

Absolutely disgusting if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

listermint wrote: »
    Embarrassed for your posts when all evidence points to the opposite. Some people should think before the post rather than posting unadulterated nonsense.

Hope you feel better about the situation now you have all that off your chest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

There's an image on Twitter and I don't really know why but it really got to me.

It's at the crash scene and it's a pile of Passports that they've recovered so far.

Obviously the owners aren't around any more.

Terrible looking.

RIP to those lost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

There's an image on Twitter and I don't really know why but it really got to me.

It's at the crash scene and it's a pile of Passports that they've recovered so far.

Obviously the owners aren't around any more.

Terrible looking.

RIP to those lost.

It's a still from a video. The video goes on to show the identity of three of the victims, two of them Dutch teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ironically on the 17 July 1996 TWA Flight 800 was shot down by a missile.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hope you feel better about the situation now you have all that off your chest.

I dont. Its an incredibly destructive tradegy. Doesnt help that people who haven't a breeze what they are talking about are out posting utter nonsense on the net.

As I said stop embarrassing yourself with posts and stop responding when you are called out on it. Good man for the last word thought so I expect more....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

wprathead wrote: »
    This sounds like The Sun is up to its Hillsborough rumour sh!t again...
    Duff wrote: »
    Absolutely disgusting if true.

I'd be inclined to believe it.

After the Polish presidential plane crashed in Smolensk, bodies were looted and the idiots were only caught as they were trying to use stolen credit cards from the deceased a few days later.

Has reportedly happened at other crash sites too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Its fuel tank exploded =/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

gandalf wrote: »
    It's a still from a video. The video goes on to show the identity of three of the victims, two of them Dutch teenagers.

Oh thats terrible.

I've friends from Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This was the post made claiming to have done it, quickly deleted:
    http://i.imgur.com/IMaKN3h.jpg

I had a go on the Wayback Machine and it's there, scroll down a small bit to the 17:50 post.

And here's what Google Translate gave back, pretty much what's already posted except in worse translation:
    "In the area Torrez just downed plane An-26, lying somewhere in the mine" Progress. "
    Also warned - do not fly in "our sky."
    And here is the confirmation of the next video "ptichkopada."
    Bird fell for waste heap, the residential sector is not caught. Civilians are not injured.

And also have information about the second downed aircraft, like the Su. "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

No.... No it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

No they would not have known. Only military aircraft know that a missile has been launched at them because they are fitted with radar warning receivers completely different system than standard radar. They may have seen it for a split second before it hit if they were looking the right way and if it didn't hit directly underneath.

It's entirely possible that the voice & data recorders - even if recovered - mightn't directly reveal anything. If it was somehow shot down, there would likely just be a sudden catastrophic failure and a chaotic reaction from the flight crew - and that's assuming the recording equipment and dependant connections survived the initial event. But the same would be true if there were some other sudden explosion.

One minor thing that caught my eye was the plane climbed from 31,000 to 33,000 feed a few minutes before the incident - I wonder if they were aware the area they were entering was contentious and climbed a couple of thousand ft. accordingly. Not that 2,000ft more is much of a buffer, mind.

Who knows. We don't even know for certain yet that it was shot down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

is it known for sure that is was a missile that took the plane down today?

It is very recently that authorities in the US were warning of a new undetectable explosives that airlines were bringing in extra airport security to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

That was KAL007. TWA 800 exploded due to fuel vapour ignition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

No. That was debunked conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

What exactly is "ironic" about that? I think you should look up what the word ironic actually means.

The second part of your post belongs to the Conspiracy Forum -->

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Although, personally I do believe it was a missile, this has always been denied and the official investigation concluded it was an explosion in the fuel tank despite evidence to the contrary. I wonder will we ever know the truth in this case. Doesn't look like it if the black box has been taken and people are dismantling pieces of wreckage.

Its fuel tank exploded =/

Yup after getting hit by a missile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

who_me wrote: »
    It's entirely possible that the voice & data recorders - even if recovered - mightn't directly reveal anything. If it was somehow shot down, there would likely just be a sudden catastrophic failure and a chaotic reaction from the flight crew - and that's assuming the recording equipment and dependant connections survived the initial event. But the same would be true if there were some other sudden explosion.

One minor thing that caught my eye was the plane climbed from 31,000 to 33,000 feed a few minutes before the incident - I wonder if they were aware the area they were entering was contentious and climbed a couple of thousand ft. accordingly. Not that 2,000ft more is much of a buffer, mind.

Who knows. We don't even know for certain yet that it was shot down.

EASA issued a directive to avoid the area months ago. They should have been aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

is it known for sure that is was a missile that took the plane down today?

It is very recently that authorities in the US were warning of a new undetectable explosives that airlines were bringing in extra airport security to look out for.

We know 2 Ukrainian plane have been shot down in that area by sophisticated SAM. This plan was flying over the same area and breaks up mid are and crashes.

What exactly is "ironic" about that? I think you should look up what the word ironic actually means.

The second part of your post belongs to the Conspiracy Forum -->

I bet you think al megrahi blew up the Lockerbie plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

EASA issued a directive to avoid the area months ago. They should have been aware.

They diverted over the area due to bad weather on the normal flight path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

The diverted over the area due to bad weather on the normal flight path.

Divert elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yup after getting hit by a missile.

According to Alex Jones, maybe

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I can't believe there are planes still flying over the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

According to the position log, the altitude of the plane was 33,000 before it went off the radar. I'm guessing it was shot down from the sky then, and not the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

Firefox11 wrote: »
    No. That was debunked conspiracy theory.

yes, but my god did you see the theory that the authorities came up with to explain how that accident happened?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

hello Alanis.

Advertisement