Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian airline MH-17 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Maybe the BUK exploded ahead of the aircraft allowing shrapnel to only penetrate the front section?

Look at the photos, entry and exit holes. Google "Bullet holes in MH17".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You do know that warhead shrapnel can be spherical and for all intents and purposes pretty much a 'bullet'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Gatling wrote: »
    So what exactly was the context in telling the EU president Manuel barrosso he can take Kiev in two weeks .

did he mean he could take a 2 week break in Kiev with his fellow holiday makers.

He was saying it as a defense . It was along the lines of barroso telling him he had invaded Ukraine and Putin saying he hadn't as if he had sure he'd be in Kiev in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The plane was only hit in the cockpit area. Why is there no shrapnel damage in other parts of the plane.

Says who?

Post your proof and stop telling people to go to google. Show us what has made you believe that AA fire took the plane down please.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He was saying it as a defense . It was along the lines of barroso telling him he had invaded Ukraine and Putin saying he hadn't as if he had sure he'd be in Kiev in 2 weeks.

No

• Advertisement

Look at the photos, entry and exit holes. Google "Bullet holes in MH17".

You do realise 30 mm machine gun rounds don't make perfectly smooth entry holes .

Master of the Universe

gandalf wrote: »
    Says who?

Post your proof and stop telling people to go to google. Show us what has made you believe that AA fire took the plane down please.

Apparently a google photo of a plane fuselage peppered with holes is indicative of 'bullet holes'.

So either he thinks that AA fires 'bullets' :confused:

Or he thinks that a fighter jet shot it down with machine gun fire. :confused:

Or a commando with a jetpack and an m60 maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

Apparently a google photo of a plane fuselage peppered with holes is indicative of 'bullet holes'.

So either he thinks that AA fires 'bullets' :confused:

Or he thinks that a fighter jet shot it down with machine gun fire. :confused:

Or shrapnel from a BUK SA-11 missile maybe?

Apparently

O1s1n genuis you finally solved it ,

I'm off to write the movie script

Ok quick search on Google using the term "images for damage from anti aircraft missiles" and it brought up this as one of the first hits.

It shows the damage to an A10 Warthog from a shoulder launched missile. Note the "little holes" in the planes tailfins.

A-10_Thunderbolt_II_Battle_Damage.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9K38_Igla

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Bang_Bang wrote: »
    Or shrapnel from a BUK SA-11 missile maybe?
    Ok quick search on Google using the term "images for damage from anti aircraft missiles" and it brought up this as one of the first hits.

It shows the damage to an A10 Warthog from a shoulder launched missile. Note the "little holes" in the planes tailfins.

A-10_Thunderbolt_II_Battle_Damage.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9K38_Igla

Clearly also caused by this phantom M60 wielding jetpack commando.

We're through the looking glass people.

I found him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

This what the British Brainwashing Corporation comes up with the day before the result of the preliminary inquiry. I mean do they have to make it so obvious? :rolleyes: .... sometimes trying too hard is a dead giveaway. Attack the best form of defence.
    The Panorama programme told the British public last night that pro Russians meant to shoot down an Aeroflot jet to give Putin an excuse to invade..... I'm dead serious - I'm not trying to be funny.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29109398

* no replies about BUK missile "shrapnel" from armchair experts, MY mind was made up long ago. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Is there any actual mention or use of the word 'missile' in the report?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Is there any actual mention or use of the word 'missile' in the report?

No just high energy / hi Speed large amount of objects from an external source

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

* no replies about BUK missile "shrapnel" from armchair experts, MY mind was made up long ago. Thanks.
    The ultimate reasoning of an unreasonable mind: "No amount of evidence will convince me I'm wrong".

To what is your question exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

This what the British Brainwashing Corporation comes up with the day before the result of the preliminary inquiry. I mean do they have to make it so obvious? :rolleyes: .... sometimes trying too hard is a dead giveaway. Attack the best form of defence.
    The Panorama programme told the British public last night that pro Russians meant to shoot down an Aeroflot jet to give Putin an excuse to invade..... I'm dead serious - I'm not trying to be funny.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29109398

Jeez.. if they wanted to shoot down an aeroflot jet all they would have had to do is download the flighradar 24 app for free, with callsigns, aircraft type and origin no??:confused:, but they were still able to post to twitter etc... Man that's some fcuk up alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The BBC did indeed speak to a Ukrainian official who suggested that Russia was targeting one of their own to use as a pretext.
    It wasn't presented as a fact though.

It was just after the reporter showed one of the imported "rebel" leaders a picture of a BUK in a rebel town, only to be responded with a shrug.

Neither point added anything to the broadcast, I thought they were unnecessary.

Does anyone remember the line about Vladimir putin s personal aircraft was supposedly near the area or getting ready to take off close by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Gatling wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the line about Vladimir putin s personal aircraft was supposedly near the area or getting ready to take off close by

Yep.

On the day of the crash the Kremlins 'Ministry of Truth' (RT) said it was "probably" an attack on Putin's nearby jet.

Are the Kremlin batting 100% for lies?

The BBC did indeed speak to a Ukrainian official who suggested that Russia was targeting one of their own to use as a pretext.
    It wasn't presented as a fact though.
    It was presented as fact by the Ukrainian intelligence service.
    http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/nalyvaychenko-said-that-separatists-intended-to-shoot-down-russian-passenger-plane-359765.html

It was presented as fact by the Ukrainian intelligence service.

Which is not to say the BBC were presenting it as fact.
    They weren't.

In the same fashion that they didn't consider the self appointed Russian thug in charge of the rebels utterance that the launcher was a bin lorry or something as fact.

Both Kiev & the Kremlin have lied.
    Its just the Kremlin have been more fantastical in their campaign of falsehoods.

The online equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "Lalalalalaalala" :D

News reports are saying that the Malaysian PM is saying that the plane was "probably" shot down by a missile, where is he getting his information?
    Where in the report is there anything about a missile?
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/09/world/mh17-crash-report-richard-quest-analysis/index.html
    And it never says the word missile.

The online equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "Lalalalalaalala" :D
    :D why do you bother? I'm well used to idiotic one liners at this stage! keep 'em comin'

:D why do you bother? I'm well used to idiotic one liners at this stage! keep 'em comin'

Sure we can't be serious all of the time can we ;)

News reports are saying that the Malaysian PM is saying that the plane was "probably" shot down by a missile, where is he getting his information?
    Where in the report is there anything about a missile?
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/09/world/mh17-crash-report-richard-quest-analysis/index.html
    '

Anti aircraft missiles don't strike aircraft directly they detonate in close proximity to an aircraft shredding the aircraft using shrapnel consisting of steel/tungsten/ other .

While they didn't mention a missile but the key phrases were pilot error ruled out , mechanical failure / technical fault ruled out .
    aircraft was brought down by an External Force key word External Force

Think it through.

We know for a fact it wasn't mechanical error, pilot error, turbulence/weather.

We know the plane was brought down by impact with "high energy objects."

That can only be bullets or missile shrapnel.

The Kremlin (who never lie) said that the only military planes in the vicinity were Ukrainian SU-25's..... They or their weapons can't reach the altitude required to threaten MH17.

that leaves only land based missile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

In accordance with paragraph 3.1 of ICAO Annex 13, the sole objective of this investigation
    is the prevention of similar accidents and incidents. It is not the purpose of this activity to
    apportion blame or liability in respect of any party.
    Just as i told you about a month ago !
    The draft preliminary report has been sent to the Accredited Representatives of the
    States that participate in the investigation, Malaysia, Ukraine, the Russian Federation, the
    United Kingdom, the United States of America and Australia for review. All Accredited
    Representatives have sent a reaction. The Dutch Safety Board assessed the provided
    suggestions and amended the report where appropriate.
    Well that should remove the idea that the UK authorities were biased as the Russian Federation had the opportunity to request corrections.
    Photographs from the some wreckage showed that a number of pieces contained
    multiple holes and indentations. An example of a piece of wreckage containing such
    damage was a piece of skin from below the left cockpit window (figure 8) found in the
    town of Petropavlivka.
    It doesnt say that it was only hit around the cockpit.
    Noting that the investigation team has not yet had the opportunity to recover these
    components for forensic examination
    The damage observed in the forward section of the aircraft appears to indicate that
    the aircraft was penetrated by a large number of high-energy objects from outside
    the aircraft. It is likely that this damage resulted in a loss of structural integrity of the
    aircraft, leading to an in-flight break up.

Thanks for all the conspiracy theories, but as we told you, they were all garbage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

The Kremlin (who never lie) said that the only military planes in the vicinity were Ukrainian SU-25's..... They or their weapons can't reach the altitude required to threaten MH17.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-25
    Maximum speed: Mach 0.8 (975 km/h, 526 knots, 606 mph) at sea level
    Combat range: 750 km (405 nmi, 466 mi) at sea level, 4,400 kg (9,700 lb) weapons and two external tanks
    Service ceiling: 7,000 m[100] (22,965 ft) clean, 5,000 m (16,000 ft) with max weapons
    Rate of climb: 58 m/s (11,400 ft/min)

Service ceiling can get to about 10,000ft of MH-17 unarmed.

Advertisement