Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian airline MH-17 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I bet you think al megrahi blew up the Lockerbie plane.

E was only supposed blow the bleedin doors off :rolleyes:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The reaction of the US and other NATO members is going to be interesting if it's confirmed that the Pro-Russian insurgents are responsible.

Unconfirmed reports are saying 23 US citizens on boards, in the video clip posted on twitter there are a number of Dutch Passports and at least 2 UK ones as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Anyone watching RT (Russia Today)?

Everything they are reporting seem to be in complete contradiction to what Sky News are reporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Divert elsewhere.

I'm sure you could if you had unlimited fuel to divert drastically out of the area. but that not being the case i assume that's why the diverted to that flight path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

yes, but my god did you see the theory that the authorities came up with to explain how that accident happened?

Aye.....The Truth is out there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

gandalf wrote: »
    The reaction of the US and other NATO members is going to be interesting if it's confirmed that the Pro-Russian insurgents are responsible.

There is going to be one hell of a diplomatic row no matter who is responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

EASA issued a directive to avoid the area months ago. They should have been aware.

Thanks, that was clumsily worded by me. I should have written: "Knowing the area they were entering was in contention, I wonder if they thus climbed 2,000ft..".

On the previous reported quote claiming credit for shooting down an An-26 - an An-26 is a small turboprop aircraft with a ceiling of ~25,000ft. It's hard to imagine how anyone could have mistaken a large Boeing 777 @ 33,000ft for one of those.

Everything they are reporting seem to be in complete contradiction to what Sky News are reporting.

Of course they are. If the Pro-Russians are responsible Russia are going to be in a very difficult place and will face punitive sanctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I wonder if any Irish were on board seeing as it is a popular route to Oz.
    This could be the final nail in the coffin both for Malaysian and the Wests attitude to the on going war there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Its incredible viewing.

Was watching the 7oclock bulletin where they blamed the Ukrainian government, by their own admission, without proof.

They are also saying that Putin was the intended target.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I'm sure you could if you had unlimited fuel to divert drastically out of the area. but that not being the case i assume that's why the diverted to that flight path.

Look, I'm not being smart or anything, but nobody was forcing them to fly that route. Go further north or further south or don't go at all. If you can't make it in one hop, do it in 2. It is a known conflict zone, there are directives out from EASA to avoid the airspace and there have already been an aircraft shot down in the last month.

bear1 wrote: »
    I wonder if any Irish were on board seeing as it is a popular route to Oz.
    This could be the final nail in the coffin both for Malaysian and the Wests attitude to the on going war there.

Much the same:

http://www.twf.org/News/Y2003/0815-Lockerbie2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Look, I'm not being smart or anything, but nobody was forcing them to fly that route. Go further north or further south or don't go at all. If you can't make it in one hop, do it in 2. It is a known conflict zone, there are directives out from EASA to avoid the airspace and there have already been an aircraft shot down in the last month.
    No words

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I think what the poster meant is that it looks like there were warnings sent out to all airlines saying "Do not fly this route for a while", and every airline except MA seems to have heeded that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Of course they are. If the Pro-Russians are responsible Russia are going to be in a very difficult place and will face punitive sanctions.

The anchor is Northern Irish along with a English bloke. I know RT pay their wages. But these guys would have journalist background.

How do they sit there reporting this muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

The anchor is Northern Irish along with a English bloke. I know RT pay their wages. But these guys would have journalist background.

Its baffling alright.... They must be well paid.

You will always find people who are willing to sacrifice their integrity for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Conas wrote: »
    He went into protect ethnic Russians, who wanted him to go in after the illegal overthrow of a legit goverment, and who voted unanimously to rejoin Russia. He hasn't moved any further since. If the people of Crimea don't want to be part of Ukraine anymore, that's their decision. The same way if the people of Northern Ireland, no longer wanted to be part of the UK, they can do it also.

Will you please do us all a favour and do as you said you would do, finally.
    Conas wrote: »
    I'm not peddling personal agenda's. I'm giving my personal opinion. But you know what, I'm finished discussing this airline crash, the issue in Gaza, and any other issues people are debating lately. I'm finished with boards,ie. People have taken upon themselves to attack me every post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

We'd be better off listening to Murdoch alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Don't think they're any worse than Fox news on the other extreme. Though being no worse than Fox news is perhaps not the highest standard to aim at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

You will always find people who are willing to sacrifice their integrity for money.

You won't find the opposite in too many places either though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

Just an educated guess that they don't have access to that type of hardware. Anything is possible though.

I would imagine what Russia has, they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

banquo wrote: »
    I think what the poster meant is that it looks like there were warnings sent out to all airlines saying "Do not fly this route for a while", and every airline except MA seems to have heeded that.

Is there a source stating that Malaysia was the only airline to still fly over Ukraine? I thought that at least BA and Virgin did and have only announced that they won't since this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

userod wrote: »
    Will you please do us all a favour and do as you said you would do, finally.

Yeah ok, I'll keep my word and go. Bye.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Is there a source stating that Malaysia was the only airline to still fly over Ukraine? I thought that at least BA and Virgin did and have only announced that they won't since this incident.

And Aeroflot and Air France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Airlines that fly that route were all still flying it until this tragedy, I don't get why people are picking on Malaysia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

An Air India 787 and Singapore Airlines 777 were within 25km of the MH plane at the time it was shot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

An Air India 787 and Singapore Airlines 777 were within 25km of the MH plane at the time it was shot down.
    Airlines that fly that route were all still flying it until this tragedy, I don't get why people are picking on Malaysia.

So I don't get how anyone could suggest the airline are at fault here? It could have happened to any plane that was in the area at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Aljazeera have just shown camera phone footage of the plane hitting the ground
    jesus , what away to die :(

• Advertisement

Nobody is picking on Malaysia Airlines. In response to someone saying (they've since clarified that how they phrased it was not how they intended it) that maybe they realized they were going into a conflict zone, I stated that EASA had already issued a notice that airlines should avoid that airspace. For some reason, someone decided that they had no other option but to fly in that airspace. I pointed out that they had other options, but they didn't choose to use them. That's not picking on Malaysia Airlines; that's stating the obvious.

Advertisement