Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian airline MH-17 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

gandalf wrote: »
    OK I am going to try and say this for you again so you can try to understand it asher. There are two investigations. One is a technical one and the other is the criminal one. Today's report is from the technical investigation.

Actually the explanation from the Dutch Criminal investigators website demarcates them very clearly.

https://www.om.nl/onderwerpen/mh17-crash/

Actually Gandalf I thought this Dutch investigation was part of the second investigation conducted by the 4 you mentioned. The criminal investigation will be just as farcical as the technical one however. It's being conducted by military allies and a suspect with veto power as I mentioned previously.

What I'd like to know though is that there should most definitely be areas where both investigations overlap. The safety investigation, I take it then, only examines the plane and it's contents. They don't hear eyewitness accounts, they don't view satellite images, am I correct? They might examine black boxes and listen to tower to cockpit communications. So if they say that the plane and the corpses had BUK shrapnel embedded in them then are they going to make this evidence public?
    Does this DSB investigation actually make any evidence public?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

When Pepole are obsessed with conspiracy theories or obsessed with proving everyone wrong while having no proof or anything of substance to back themselves up .

There is no point trying to reason with conspiracy and denial

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So why are the Dutch taking the lead in this investigation asherbassad? I'll tell you why because the majority of the people who died because of this action were Dutch citizens. Lay off the tinfoil it's obviously effecting your ability to process information in a logical manner ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

They don't hear eyewitness accounts, they don't view satellite images, am I correct? They might examine black boxes and listen to tower to cockpit communications. So if they say that the plane and the corpses had BUK shrapnel embedded in them then are they going to make this evidence public?
    Does this DSB investigation actually make any evidence public?

Seriously the report is available, go and read posters are defending their position to some of your questions and you clearly haven't read the report.

Your hugely passionate about this topic which is admirable but at least educate yourself with all the information available that isn't synopsised by a YouTube video or a conspiracy theory site. The Technical report is now available, the criminal will be available next year and should answer the questions you want. Gandalf has supplied a link for you, so you can see the difference in the reports.

This is section 2.3 of the report:

"2.3 Damage to the aircraft

The aircraft was destroyed "

And that's it

Technical report, eh?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

And that's it

Technical report, eh?

Quoting except from Annex X of the report

"Based upon the damage examination it is concluded that the impact damage on the wreckage of flight MH17 is caused by a warhead with various types of preformed fragments in the 6-14 mm size range, including one type with a bowtie shape detonating to the left of, and above, the cockpit.”

“The damage observed on the wreckage is not consistent with the damage caused by the warhead of an air-to-air missile in use in the region in amount of damage, type of damage and type of fragments. The high-energy object damage on the wreckage of flight MH17 is therefore not caused by an air-to-air missile.”

“Of the investigated warheads only the 9N314M contains the unique bowtie shaped fragments found in the wreckage. The damage observed on the wreckage in amount of damage, type of damage, boundary and impact angles of damage, number and density of hits, size of penetrations and bowtie fragments found in the wreckage, is consistent with the damage caused by the 9N314M warhead used in the 9M38 and 9M38M1 BUK surface-to-air missile."

More from the same link provided

What is the difference between the Dutch Safety Board investigation (OVV) and the JIT investigation?

The two investigations have a different goal. The JIT investigation focuses on the prosecution of the perpetrators and the OVV investigation’s purpose is to draw safety lessons from the accident for future use. Both the JIT and the OVV investigate the cause of the crash. In addition, the OVV looks at the decision-making process concerning the determination of the flight routes to be followed and the availability of passenger lists of flight MH17 on 17 July 2014. The JIT investigation is aimed at identifying the suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Gatling wrote: »
    More from the same link provided

What is the difference between the Dutch Safety Board investigation (OVV) and the JIT investigation?

The two investigations have a different goal. The JIT investigation focuses on the prosecution of the perpetrators and the OVV investigation’s purpose is to draw safety lessons from the accident for future use. Both the JIT and the OVV investigate the cause of the crash. In addition, the OVV looks at the decision-making process concerning the determination of the flight routes to be followed and the availability of passenger lists of flight MH17 on 17 July 2014. The JIT investigation is aimed at identifying the suspects.

Ah come on Gatling you can't expect asherbassad to actually read what we link to. It might disturb his narrative.

He's be far more interested in these stories that were put forward by the Russian media :rolleyes:

http://listverse.com/2015/09/07/10-outrageous-ways-russian-media-covered-the-crash-of-mh17/

And that's it

Technical report, eh?

One line from a 279 page report? What's the issue, section two is factual information. The plane was destroyed on impact of a missile. There was no other mitigating damage to the plane which contributed to its demise. What you want from is not going to be in here.

Dutch Safety Board
    "The aim in the Netherlands is to limit the risk of accidents and incidents as much as
    possible. If accidents or near accidents nevertheless occur, a thorough investigation into
    the causes, irrespective of who are to blame, may help to prevent similar problems from
    occurring in the future. It is important to ensure that the investigation is carried out
    independently from the parties involved. This is why the Dutch Safety Board itself selects
    the issues it wishes to investigate, mindful of citizens’ position of dependence with
    respect to authorities and businesses. In some cases the Dutch Safety Board is required
    by law to conduct an investigation."

duffman13 wrote: »
    One line from a 279 page report? What's the issue, section two is factual information. The plane was destroyed on impact of a missile. There was no other mitigating damage to the plane which contributed to its demise. What you want from is not going to be in here.

Dutch Safety Board
    "The aim in the Netherlands is to limit the risk of accidents and incidents as much as
    possible. If accidents or near accidents nevertheless occur, a thorough investigation into
    the causes, irrespective of who are to blame, may help to prevent similar problems from
    occurring in the future. It is important to ensure that the investigation is carried out
    independently from the parties involved. This is why the Dutch Safety Board itself selects
    the issues it wishes to investigate, mindful of citizens’ position of dependence with
    respect to authorities and businesses. In some cases the Dutch Safety Board is required
    by law to conduct an investigation."

Relax Duff, the report is fairly in depth. It's just not convincing and reveals nothing.

No evidence is presented. On page 74 it states "Photographic evidence and satellite imagery showed that the wreckage site was disturbed on July 17th and that pieces of wreckage were repositioned"

Why not show that evidence or else why bother mentioning it in relation to the burnt aft section?

• Advertisement

Wonder when Russia will release it's secret evidence.

Satellite images of MH17 crash site

http://content.satimagingcorp.com/static/galleryimages/Satellite Image Malaysia Airlines MH17 Ukraine.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Strap in lads, We are entering the Twilight zone apparently.

Relax Duff, the report is fairly in depth. It's just not convincing and reveals nothing.

No evidence is presented. On page 74 it states "Photographic evidence and satellite imagery showed that the wreckage site was disturbed on July 17th and that pieces of wreckage were repositioned"

Why not show that evidence or else why bother mentioning it in relation to the burnt aft section?

What do you want it to reveal. It's remit is very clear and it's recommendations in relation to this remit more than meet the objectives of the report. It's a good in depth technical report , it was fairly predictable what would come from this report.

I'm just surprised that anyone with more than a passing interest in this story would expect a smoking gun from the technical report. I'm struggling to see what point you are trying to make on the back of this report.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

But speaking to reporters after the news conference, Mr Joustra said pro-Russian rebels were in charge of the area from where the missile that hit MH17 had been fired.
    Wait a minute!! Mr Joustra (of the Dutch investigation) is saying that he knows who fired the missile yet the investigation was inconclusive!!
    What am I missing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Wait a minute!! Mr Joustra (of the Dutch investigation) is saying that he knows who fired the missile yet the investigation was inconclusive!!
    What am I missing here?

The investigation is conclusive in it's aims. It doesn't however say who fired the missile, that's a separate Dutch criminal case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What am I missing here?

He does a BUK weapon system fired the Missile.

What am I missing here?

Yes you are obviously missing something.

There's 2 separate investigation today we got the technical report which stated a Russian Buk shot down MH17 everything else was ruled out in a very in depth report ,

But the 2nd report the Criminal investigation will attribute blame and possibly identify suspects that's coming in February 2016 .

A bit of reading goes a long way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

asherbassad
    Have you ever read an ICAO ANNEX 13 report before. I have stated for almost a year that the report would never state "WHO" was responsible as it was outside the scope of an Annex 13 report.

The main purpose of an Annex 13 report is for the aviation industry to learn from mistakes and make corrections to avoid repetitions of these mistakes. In this case the crew and aircraft were not found to be at fault, so the lawyers will have to sue the airlines and maybe even Ukraine for not closing its airspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Wonder when Russia will release it's secret evidence.

Satellite images of MH17 crash site

http://content.satimagingcorp.com/static/galleryimages/Satellite%20Image%20Malaysia%20Airlines%20MH17%20Ukraine.jpg

Might be more productive to ask why they 'lost' the radar data
    "The Russian Federation did not provide the radar data stating that no radar data was saved, but instead provided the radar screen video replay, which showed combined surveillance primary and secondary radar. In the absence of the underlying radar data (so-called raw data), the video information could not be verified,” the report said.

link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I see South Africa are now formally leaving the International Criminal Court
    The ICC has “lost its direction,” Obed Bapela, the South African deputy minister, said after a meeting of the African National Congress (ANC). The court disproportionately targets African leaders while overlooking violations by the United States and Israel.
    the ICC is an instrument or tool of the US to further its narrow global hegemonic political interests, and even to effect its policy on regime changes through the ICC itself. This made this court unequal and inequitable in every sense.
    The US did eventually sign up to the ICC days before the December 2000 deadline, it has since become clear why it eventually signed then – it wanted to ensure it would be a state party that could participate in making decisions on how the court works. It achieved this by getting the United Nations (UN) Security Council power over the court. The UN Security Council is a political organ yet it has a say on who can or cannot be prosecuted by the court, which is suppose to be neutral in form and practice.
    When then US president George W Bush was about to launch wars in Iraq and Afghanistan his legal counsel urged him to first withdraw from the ICC, which he did with speed coupled with declaring the UN irrelevant to America's national interests.

By May 2002, the Bush administration had “withdrawn” from the Rome Statute, and the US threatened to use military force if US nationals were held at The Hague.

And this is the country leading the charge for "uphold International Law" in Ukraine! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And

And

There is no such thing as "International Law" - except UNSC decisions.

The idea that a "court" in the Hague will be able to prosecute anyone in relation to MH 17 is a joke...a nonsense :rolleyes:

There is no such thing as "International Law" - except UNSC decisions.

The idea that a "court" in the Hague will be able to prosecute anyone in relation to MH 17 is a joke...a nonsense :rolleyes:

Terrible stuff south Africa slowly but surely becoming the new mugabe Zimbabwe after all the work Mandela did been thrown down the drain .

I wouldn't worry about justice for MH17 it's going to happen no what what weak arguments are put up.

Terrible stuff south Africa slowly but surely becoming the new mugabe Zimbabwe after all the work Mandela did been thrown down the drain .

I wouldn't worry about justice for MH17 it's going to happen no what what weak arguments are put up.

It is expected that the whole of the AU will follow SA out of the ICC.

As for MH17....could you explain how "justice" is going to "happen"?

(Rhetorical question - I know you can't :rolleyes:)

It is expected that the whole of the AU will follow SA out of the ICC.

As for MH17....could you explain how "justice" is going to "happen"?

(Rhetorical question - I know you can't :rolleyes:)

No you didn't ,

It can happen in a number of ways I certainly wouldn't rely on a mineral to make predictions

No you didn't ,

It can happen in a number of ways I certainly wouldn't rely on a mineral to make predictions

In order words - you know it won't happen ;)

In order words - you know it won't happen ;)

No you claimed justice won't happen ,

I said it will and can happen in a number or ways or was that not clear

No you claimed justice won't happen ,

I said it will and can happen in a number or ways or was that not clear

Which, as you won't reveal any of those imaginary ways it might "happen", means you can't actually imagine it happening :cool:

You wish it might - (if you could even define "justice" in this case, which you can't) - but you know it won't ;)

gandalf wrote: »
    So why are the Dutch taking the lead in this investigation asherbassad? I'll tell you why because the majority of the people who died because of this action were Dutch citizens. Lay off the tinfoil it's obviously effecting your ability to process information in a logical manner ;)

I'm actually delighted you asked that question, gandalf.

Just because the majority of the deaths were Dutch does in no way entitle the Dutch to conduct the investigation. If you wish to spit out the tinfoli barb again then go for it. It makes you look childish. Not quite as childish as Beavis and Butthead on here who screech like hyenas and we all know who that pair are.

When I lit a candle at Eindhoven airport in early August 2014 before taking the train back up to my gaff in Amsterdam NOT a single mate of mine from Leiden to Zwolle to Almere had the slightest suspicion that Russia had just murdered 298 people. None of them. And you kinow what..they still don't.

Are you familiar with the term
    "Nemo judex in causa sua" ?

It's quite simple and is the basis of ALL law and all investigation.

"You cannot be the judge in that which you have interest."

To have the Dutch deliver a verdict and possibly indict someone else is a farce.

Not just a farce but a sham.

You are, I assume, familiar with the term "Not only must justice be done but it must be seen to be done."

Well, that to me and many is compromised. Not only that but it is insulting.

This crime ought to be investigated and investigated properly. No Ukrainian involvement. No Russian involvement. No Dutch or American or Australian involvement. No rejection of some evidence and the suppression of other evidence. NO veto power over one party to shutter anything.

If you want the truth about a crime then have the nuts to say so. If you don't really care then say so as well.

This is serious. It's not some game. 298 people are dead and someone is lying and withholding evidence. Not only that but many are trying to pin the blame on someone else. If the blame should be exacted then you ought to have no fear.

Why are things being hidden? And moreover why are things being embellished and fabricated?

There is no reason to bury evidence that could copperfasten this crime. That evidence might well even further implicate those who you want to be culpable.
    But evidence buried whether damning or enlightening casts a pall of lies and mistrust upon anything and everything.

Go with that if you want, mate.

• Advertisement

Some people will post any old tin foil bs.

From the NY Times

On Tuesday, the Dutch Safety Board issued its long-awaited report on what brought down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 in eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014. Speaking at Gilze-Rijen Air Base in the Netherlands, Tjibbe Joustra, the safety board’s chairman, announced that after meticulous study — including the plastering the charred scraps of the plane onto a skeleton model of the Boeing 777, which sat behind him as he spoke — the board concluded that the plane was brought down by a missile from the Russian-made 9M38 series, fired from a Buk surface-to-air missile system in eastern Ukraine. It exploded less than a yard from the left side of the plane’s cockpit. The high-energy fragments flung out by the missile perforated the plane’s nose and caused it to tear off, leading to the breakup and crash of the plane about a minute later, which killed all 298 passengers onboard.

The report didn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know or strongly suspect: that the cause of the crash was a Russian-made missile fired from an area hotly contested between Russian-backed separatists and the Ukrainian military, killing hundreds of people who had nothing to do with the conflict. Though the report didn’t specify who fired the missile, Joustra said it was launched from rebel-held territory. This was, again, what we already suspected — and a scenario for which independent outfits, like the citizen-journalism website Bellingcat, have rustled up much convincing evidence.

A lot, however, comes down to who “us” is here. We in the West saw the presentation of one report, while Russians saw another: Almaz-Antey, the Russian state corporation that produces the Buk systems, held a competing news conference on Tuesday in Moscow, featuring its own report. Almaz-Antey’s accounting of the incident, which included footage of an exploding missile near the nose of a decommissioned Russian plane, reached subtly different conclusions. Sure, it was a Russian-made Buk that downed the plane, Almaz-Antey’s director Yan Novikov said, but those missiles have not been in use in Russia since 2011. Moreover, Novikov said, it was fired not from Snizhne, in rebel-held territory, but from near Zaroschenskoe, which was held by the Ukrainian Army. Novikov’s conclusion? Those 298 people were killed not by Russians, but by Ukrainians.

There’s a lot riding on this conclusion — for instance, the costly Western sanctions imposed on Russia in the wake of the crash. And so, from the day the pieces of the plane rained down on Ukraine’s sunflower fields, Moscow has advanced its own theories about what brought down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17. From early claims that it was a Ukrainian attempt to bring down Vladimir Putin’s presidential plane to later, more technical explanations, the Russian media and Almaz-Antey have acted like defense attorneys in a criminal trial, deliberately muddying the waters, fastidiously creating as much reasonable doubt as possible to lead the scent away from their client.

The Dutch report implicitly fingers the Russians, but Kremlin-friendly newspapers have seized on stray details, like the report’s criticism of the Ukrainian government for not shutting down airspace over the conflict, and the big question it chose not to directly answer: Who fired the missile? (Determining ultimate responsibility, the authors of the report said, “falls outside the mandate of the Dutch Safety Board.”) The evening news across Russia showed not the Dutch news conference but the Moscow one, in which the reporter concluded that the Western version of events “doesn’t hold water.”

Now Russia ran a poll 3 days after the downing of MH17 Beggers belief asking people who shot down MH17.
    Ukrainian jets .
    Ukrainians missles .
    Americans.
    Sepertists.

Sepertists got a tiny 3% due to Russian propaganda from day one in July stating Ukrainian jets shot it down and then Ukrainian missles shot it down,
    All claims that for reasons only known to themselves they can't produce any evidence unless there suppressing the evidence that can clear them ,
    But why well it's lies fed to a gullible and zombie like population who believe everything that's fed to them from state controlled media.

Now where you get real issues is when people buy into the Russian propaganda who then maybe down to certain issues start declaring ABR (anything but Russia ) in every event ,
    We end up with keywords CIA ,Black Ops ,and so on and so on,
    Some people are gullible to conspiracy theories others just need to make a point due to attention seeking or just like to Troll because well they need help ,
    But no matter what the truth is it will always be denied

Advertisement